Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 03:59 PM

90 posts, read 237,072 times

Advertisements

As we are all settled in and learning the area, we have started to look at houses and areas we would be interested in. We found a perfect house in Highcroft Village in Cary. It is 4008 Enfield Ridge Drive. Brand new by Reward Builders. It has the perfect layout with master on first floor and 2 game/theater rooms upstairs. We absolutely love the house. It is on a postage size lot, which is fine by us, as it is positioned in a way to allow backyard privacy. On the downside, it is right off a busy route 55, behind a gas station and under direct air traffic. We can deal with the air traffic, not sure about the road traffic and the Dolphins gas station could be good or bad. Now, the price is $430,000. That seemed like a shocker. Is that the going rate for this type of home? This seems excessively high.

We would really like to have your input on this home.

Thx, M
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2008, 05:55 PM

2,697 posts, read 8,693,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamsungHD View Post
As we are all settled in and learning the area, we have started to look at houses and areas we would be interested in. We found a perfect house in Highcroft Village in Cary. It is 4008 Enfield Ridge Drive. Brand new by Reward Builders. It has the perfect layout with master on first floor and 2 game/theater rooms upstairs. We absolutely love the house. It is on a postage size lot, which is fine by us, as it is positioned in a way to allow backyard privacy. On the downside, it is right off a busy route 55, behind a gas station and under direct air traffic. We can deal with the air traffic, not sure about the road traffic and the Dolphins gas station could be good or bad. Now, the price is $430,000. That seemed like a shocker. Is that the going rate for this type of home? This seems excessively high.

We would really like to have your input on this home.

Thx, M
Do you have a realtor to pull the comps? He/she should be able to tell you if it's high.

Old 08-09-2008, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sls76 View Post
Do you have a realtor to pull the comps? He/she should be able to tell you if it's high.

We have not gotten that far yet. We are just trying to get a good sense of the area and the houses. We will be ready to buy within the next 6 to 9 months, so for now we just want to see what is around. This house is 2930 feet and is 1.5 story. We want the main living area on 1st floor, including master bedroom, and would like the guests either upstairs or to the side. A ranch or 1.5 story is perfect. This house has a nice big kitchen, which is ultra important. We are minimalists when it comes to a yard, but want some backyard privacy.

Last edited by SamsungHD; 08-09-2008 at 06:23 PM..

Old 08-09-2008, 06:30 PM

Default Correction

It looks like the actual builder is Impact Design-Build, Inc. Anyone know anything about them?

Old 08-09-2008, 06:35 PM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamsungHD View Post
It looks like the actual builder is Impact Design-Build, Inc. Anyone know anything about them?
I have seen a lot of their homes, but have never worked with them.

They seem OK to me.

Old 08-09-2008, 06:43 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,046,770 times
I would give it some more time to look. It seems like you really like the house, but are unsure about the location. If I were paying that much, I'd definately want everything to be close to perfect. (Price, location, house, yard, etc.)

Old 08-09-2008, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
I would give it some more time to look. It seems like you really like the house, but are unsure about the location. If I were paying that much, I'd definately want everything to be close to perfect. (Price, location, house, yard, etc.)

For sure. We are just trying to pick everyones brain. We are in no rush.

Old 08-09-2008, 08:05 PM

4,266 posts, read 11,418,220 times
I love Highcroft....that being said, personally, I wouldn't want to be that close to Rt 55. Traffic is quite heavy at various times of the day. Rt 55 is certain to become more built up in the next few years. There are tons of new neighborhoods in the area, far removed from the direct line of 55 but with good access to highways. Since you are just starting to look, I'd look at everything possible to get a better feel. Maybe you could even contact the builder and have the exact home built on a different lot.

Old 08-10-2008, 09:09 AM

1,886 posts, read 4,813,458 times
The house is priced at $146.75 per square foot. For comparison's sake, resale homes in Highcroft (the same developer's sister neighborhood up the road) sold at an average of $149.15 per square foot. The pricing is in line based on those stats.
As far as your other questions-
Impact Design Build is an offshoot of Impact Properties Group, the developer of Highcroft Village. They are quite reputable, as are all of the builders doing business in that neighborhood. My decision to go with a particular builder would be driven by lot/floorplan/home style and design as opposed to "who's the BETTER builder"-there really isn't any one "better" builder in the group.
West Cary is an expensive area because of its location, one that many upper-middle class families consider ideal. The schools are among the highest rated in the area, it's close to everything, and has become one of the "hot" destinations in the area.
I would have no general reservations about buying in Highcroft Village, but as I always say in my West Cary posts, lot location is PARAMOUNT in that type of neighborhood. Here are some things that can severely compromise resale values in small lot West Cary N'hoods-
Corner Lots (NOT in favor in those types of N'Hoods despite what you may think)
Lots at the edge/border of the neighborhood that back onto a road
Lots with a view of a water feature of retention pond
And, in the case of Highcroft Village, IMO any lot that has a view of the gas station from ANY angle is a no-go.
If you are looking for more property, there are home on larger lots in the West Cary area, but you will pay more to get them. A .30 acre lot in one of Impact's other neighborhoods (Weycroft, Cameron Pond) won't have a 2900 square foot house on it. It will have a 3500 sq.ft. or larger home and you will be in a price range above 600,000 for a home by the same builder(s). Impact Design Build paid $91,500 for the .18 acre lot that the home you like sits on-for comparison a .30 acre lot in Weycroft costs a builder in that same group over $140,000. To recoup the lot expense the builders put up larger homes and charge more for them.

Old 08-10-2008, 07:36 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,984,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Chicken View Post
I would have no general reservations about buying in Highcroft Village, but as I always say in my West Cary posts, lot location is PARAMOUNT in that type of neighborhood. Here are some things that can severely compromise resale values in small lot West Cary N'hoods-
Corner Lots (NOT in favor in those types of N'Hoods despite what you may think)
Lots at the edge/border of the neighborhood that back onto a road
Lots with a view of a water feature of retention pond
And, in the case of Highcroft Village, IMO any lot that has a view of the gas station from ANY angle is a no-go.
Just curious, why do you say that corner lots will compromise value?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary