Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2007, 01:30 PM

54 posts, read 255,442 times

Advertisements

We are looking for nice, good quality furniture at a good price in the RTP area (nothing over the top, but not cheap junk either)

We've heard of High Point and Glenwood Ave areas but could anyone recommend some specific stores? Is High Point worth the ride for the quality/price?

Also, where could we get a good mattress for a guest room?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2007, 01:42 PM

579 posts, read 2,863,552 times
I have not shopped out in High Point but my personal favorite place to shop for furniture is the Home Comfort Outlet on Glenwood Ave. I got the best dining set ever for a great price. It's hit or miss though, you never know what they'll have in when you go.

Old 02-02-2007, 01:56 PM

567 posts, read 2,141,434 times
We had a good experience with Home Comfort furniture in Cary. I think they also have a store on Glenwood. We got some nice Lane furniture for our great room there and worked with Lori. She was great!

Also maybe try Haverty's or Bassett?

Old 02-02-2007, 02:00 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,033,730 times
Too funny, I was going to say home comfort as well. We have shopped at the cary location, and north raleigh, and the clearance center. I think, based on what I have researched, the high point situation is great for high end furniture that you can get for a discount.........which means it is still expensive (in my opinion). We have had great luck at home comfort for the quality, etc. The other place we recently bought a dining table, chairs, buffet was world market (there is one at crossroads in cary and triangle town center in north raleigh).

Mattresses: we went to the original mattress factory on glenwood and had good luck there. My mom has purchased from fred's beds and has been happy with it.

Leigh

Old 02-02-2007, 02:01 PM

225 posts, read 954,115 times
Went to High Point a few weeks ago, I overheard someone say that they (the manufacters) have good sales in Feb. & August? Someone correct me if I'm wrong. But, you may get a good deal on some nice quality furnitue.

Also I went to this place in Cary called Damaged in Transit that had a HUGE room(s) full of perfectly good furniture---it looked liked the prices where pretty good for the nice quality furniture they had. I'm sure some pieces where damaged, but, many things where not.

Old 02-03-2007, 05:06 AM

2,024 posts, read 5,914,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighbhe View Post
Too funny, I was going to say home comfort as well. We have shopped at the cary location, and north raleigh, and the clearance center. I think, based on what I have researched, the high point situation is great for high end furniture that you can get for a discount.........which means it is still expensive (in my opinion). We have had great luck at home comfort for the quality, etc. The other place we recently bought a dining table, chairs, buffet was world market (there is one at crossroads in cary and triangle town center in north raleigh).

Mattresses: we went to the original mattress factory on glenwood and had good luck there. My mom has purchased from fred's beds and has been happy with it.

Leigh
I wanted to second Leigh's suggestion to look at World Market for good buys on dining furniture as well as "accent pieces" like curios, bookshelves, sofa tables, etc. We used some World Market pieces like this that perfectly match our Pottery Barn coffee table in our living room. Funny (or sad) thing is, the World Market pieces together cost as much as the PB coffee table, and have held up better?!?

Another word of advice: Avoid Rooms-to-Go like the plague. (I naively bought some stuff there right out of college -- a mistake. Not very good quality even at their prices.)

Old 02-03-2007, 08:17 AM

2,187 posts, read 8,007,617 times
In Highpoint we had excellent luck at Furniture Land South. do your research before going. If you find a style you like at a local store you can call them with the name of the piece and style number/manufaturer number and they will quote you a price over the phone. They also have an outlet in the back where there are some deals to be had. Locally I went to Bassett and was terribly dissatisfied with their customer servive. Overall we had our most pleasurable experience with the Ethan Allen in Cary or Furnitureland South. Ethan Allen is very competitive with their pricing compared to years ago where they used to be so much more expensive.

Old 02-03-2007, 11:22 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,284,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAKD View Post
In Highpoint we had excellent luck at Furniture Land South. do your research before going. If you find a style you like at a local store you can call them with the name of the piece and style number/manufaturer number and they will quote you a price over the phone. They also have an outlet in the back where there are some deals to be had. Locally I went to Bassett and was terribly dissatisfied with their customer servive. Overall we had our most pleasurable experience with the Ethan Allen in Cary or Furnitureland South. Ethan Allen is very competitive with their pricing compared to years ago where they used to be so much more expensive.
I second CAKD's comment. My wife and I purchased several pieces of furiniture from both Furnitureland South in High Point and Ethan Allen in Raleigh off of Glenwood Avenue. Furnitureland has a wide selection and great deals. The only thing to keep in minde is that it usually takes several weeks for your stuff to be deliverd, in our case it didn't matter, but may be an issue to other. I don't know about the Cary Ethan Allen, but the best thing about the one in Raleigh is they don't charge you for delivery if you are local in Raleigh. That was a huge plus for us!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary