Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 08:17 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,110,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCowboy View Post
I am actually concerned about this too. I have some very tall pines in my front and side yard, they were really swaying in the direction of my neighbor's house. If they came loose and fell, they would either take out his car, or damage his roof and possibly shatter a window. I'm sure my home owners coverage would love that. I like having the trees, it gives us some nice privacy and shade, but I'm not sure if it is worth the risk.
Your neighbor's insurance will cover that, not yours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2008, 09:08 PM

1,788 posts, read 3,921,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
Your neighbor's insurance will cover that, not yours.
Are you sure about that? If the tree is mine, on my property and it crahes down on my neighbor's house? I thought the responsibility was mine. I could be wrong.

Old 09-06-2008, 09:14 PM
9/9

383 posts, read 566,184 times
In a storm earlier this year my neighbor's tree, on her property, dropped a large branch on my car (which was on my property). My car insurance is what covered it.

Old 09-06-2008, 09:16 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,110,414 times
yep, I'm sure. We've dealt with it before. If it damages their house, their homeowner's ins pays for it and if it's their car, their car ins will pay for it. I can't remember what it's called (it has a name) but it's like disaster of nature or course of nature or something...

Last edited by lamishra; 09-06-2008 at 09:37 PM..

Old 09-06-2008, 09:35 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,357,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
Right. I lived in FL for 18 years while we got storms worse than Fran every year.
True. But you also have very different landscape and vegetation than the Triangle. There aren't a whole lot of tall oaks and maples with shallow roots to be blown over, or tall pine trees to snap off and fall on houses. Hopefully, you won't have to experience another Fran to learn how this makes a difference.

Old 09-06-2008, 09:49 PM

2,835 posts, read 7,343,809 times
The Hanna rains was greatly appreciated unless it flooded where you where.
The Hanna winds at least in Wake Forest were nowhere to be found.
But I did lose a large pine due to the soggy ground. It never landed on the
ground and is leaning and being held up by some smaller maples and oaks.
But I was shocked as no wind but I lost a pine tree.

Well nothing the chain saw won't handle but sure makes me wonder about
the many other pines I have around the property.

Also, glad that Hanna is long gone from the triangle. The sun was great
to begin the dry out period.

Old 09-06-2008, 11:30 PM

505 posts, read 2,543,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
Right. I lived in FL for 18 years while we got storms worse than Fran every year.

Where did you live in Florida....lol

You people are so clueless. These storms can EXPLODE at the last minute. Just ask the poor people who were stuck on the outerbanks a few years ago during alex.

Please Gatornation....name the storms you were in worse than Fran. If you were in Andrew...I give you that...Charley's center, I give you that. But please name the rest....lol. It depends where you live in Florida.....For the most part....Florida hurricanes can't compare to NC's over the past 18 years overall....only because Florida is a large state...and the hurricanes made landfall in different regions of that state. Were you in all those regions? Raleigh is way inland! So what is your point? There is no point in florida further inland than Raleigh.....ROTFLMFAO

People in Jacksonville Florida have never even seen a real hurricane

These storms that hit Florida over the past 18 years were scattered over the state. There is no way you were in all THREE or Four of them (Andrew, Charley, Jeanne or Wilma) that were worse than Fran. Maybe one of them you were in.

Do you chase hurricanes or something?

Hanna was a tropical storm...not a hurricane. What were you people expecting exactly? WRAL never said winds would be over 60 MPH...so whats your point here?

Great coverage by WRAL today.....I tip my hat to you!

Last edited by Beffrey2; 09-07-2008 at 12:48 AM..

Old 09-06-2008, 11:37 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,060,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfb View Post
True. But you also have very different landscape and vegetation than the Triangle. There aren't a whole lot of tall oaks and maples with shallow roots to be blown over, or tall pine trees to snap off and fall on houses. Hopefully, you won't have to experience another Fran to learn how this makes a difference.

RFB, I was confused by your comment. There are definitely oak trees here (Raleigh's nickname is The City of Oaks) and there are tons and tons and tons of tall pine trees all over this region.

Old 09-06-2008, 11:43 PM
9/9

383 posts, read 566,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSteel View Post
RFB, I was confused by your comment. There are definitely oak trees here (Raleigh's nickname is The City of Oaks) and there are tons and tons and tons of tall pine trees all over this region.
I believe that RFB was talking about the landscape in Florida. Those are the things we have here that they don't there.

Old 09-07-2008, 05:35 AM

3,353 posts, read 4,966,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9/9 View Post
I believe that RFB was talking about the landscape in Florida. Those are the things we have here that they don't there.
That's actually not true either! There are grand oaks all over the place - much like the ones you see in Wilmington - they have a very shallow root system so they topple over very easily. HUGE problem in Tampa and it always makes people sad there when it happens.

Here's one
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary