Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 09:40 AM

55 posts, read 177,830 times

Advertisements

yep...I know about Charley first hand. I was inland...in Orlando. We weren't supposed to get anything from the storm. That afternoon I was getting a hair cut and women were running out of the salon to pick up their kids because they were shutting the schools down.
That night...Charley was in our backyard, big time. We lost power for 5 days. Cranes had to come remove trees from the tops of people's cars!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2008, 09:46 AM

3,353 posts, read 4,965,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mellie06 View Post
yep...I know about Charley first hand. I was inland...in Orlando. We weren't supposed to get anything from the storm. That afternoon I was getting a hair cut and women were running out of the salon to pick up their kids because they were shutting the schools down.
That night...Charley was in our backyard, big time. We lost power for 5 days. Cranes had to come remove trees from the tops of people's cars!!
Oof, that was nuts. I lucked out as I evacuated from the area it was originally supposed to hit (went a bit inland but just to east side of Tampa).

Old 09-03-2008, 09:51 AM

2,835 posts, read 7,343,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
They don't know Jack yet. This storm has still not even really turned North yet. I would not freak out or dismiss it at this point.
Excellent Point Waterboy! Basis of the thread is just a call to readiness. Worse case is we are all over prepared, least case we have a tree over our car/house and no electricity, and a old can of PorkNBeans in the cabinet! YIKES!

The PorkNBeans brought to many college memories back.... OK..Can the beans analogy!

Be prepared for whatever comes our way this time or next!

Old 09-03-2008, 09:53 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
So if we all run to the grocery store and get the bread and the milk and the toilet paper...what are we to do with the milk when the power shuts off?

I've always wondered...

Vicki

Old 09-03-2008, 09:53 AM

3,307 posts, read 8,561,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansdrive View Post
Excellent Point Waterboy! Basis of the thread is just a call to readiness. Worse case is we are all over prepared, least case we have a tree over our car/house and no electricity, and a old can of PorkNBeans in the cabinet! YIKES!

The PorkNBeans brought to many college memories back.... OK..Can the beans analogy!

Be prepared for whatever comes our way this time or next!
I didn't mean to be so blunt, but you get my point. Let's wait until this storm at least starts heading North and they get a better idea of where it might make landfall. If we don't get hit, then great, but if we do get some tropical effects out of this then hopefully everyone will be prepared, or even over prepared.

Old 09-03-2008, 10:00 AM

3,353 posts, read 4,965,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
So if we all run to the grocery store and get the bread and the milk and the toilet paper...what are we to do with the milk when the power shuts off?

I've always wondered...

Vicki
I don't drink milk, I always get bottled water

Seriously though, if by chance the thing does head toward us it's hard to find supplies and who wants to deal with grocery store frenzy, so I'm going to pick up a couple of gallons extra later.

I think last time I shopped for a hurricane i used it as an excuse to load up on junk food

Old 09-03-2008, 10:02 AM

2,835 posts, read 7,343,126 times
Quote:

I've always wondered...

Vicki
Vicki, you churn it to butter or you wait a bit longer and make cheese!

Old 09-03-2008, 11:32 AM

1,246 posts, read 4,188,845 times
Quote:

I've always wondered...

Vicki

I was wondering the same thing when I bought milk today (because we were out not for storm prep). Our generator keeps us comfy and our milk cold when there have been outages, but I wonder what our neighbors do. Ok, milk stays cold in the fridge for awhile if you don't open it, but what is the point of buying milk to prepare if you can't open the fridge to drink it?! Guess everyone should stock up on those milk "drink boxes" or soy or rice milk and not the refrigerated kind.

Old 09-03-2008, 11:43 AM

1,788 posts, read 3,920,686 times
I predict the power will stay on.

Old 09-03-2008, 12:33 PM

132 posts, read 445,902 times
Will be flying back in Friday night 9:30PM - could be one heck of a roller coaster if the winds have reached inland by then

WRAL tracker seems to indicate landfall at 8am on Saturday. Greg Fishel was mentioning on 11pm news yesterday that there might be a tornado threat as well.

Could be one heck of a weekend. Here is to hoping that all you folks out there will ride this one unhurt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary