Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 12:00 PM
MMA MMA started this thread

3 posts, read 5,986 times

Advertisements

I am a mother of 5 with 2kids currently in college and 1 entreing this fall. 1 going to high school and 1 to middle school. We currently live in Howard County Md and are seriously considering moving to NC. My reaserch is tending me towards Chapel Hill or Cary because of the public school's rating for my younger kids. I find prices of houses a bit pricey in Chapel hill which is one of the reasons we are considering relocating. I want a county with excellent public school system, good and friendly neighborhood that is family oriented and a place to retire. Kindly help.....No biased opinions please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 06:44 AM

2,835 posts, read 7,344,530 times
Cary schools are in the Wake County Public School System (WCPSS) so they teach the same curriculum as any school in WCPSS and follow the same schedule. Can't speak for Chapel Hill schools.

Excellent Public School system is a relative request. What you consider excellent someone else considers unacceptable. The area offers many public and private schools to chose from. As well as friendly communities and you will find retirees in everyone town, community, and subdivision in the greater Raleigh area.

Good luck in your search and remember schools are run at the county level here in NC.

Old 04-22-2009, 07:00 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,944,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansdrive View Post
Good luck in your search and remember schools are run at the county level here in NC.
Well, most are. Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools are an exception. They are separate from the Orange County school system that serves the rest of the county.

Old 04-22-2009, 07:01 AM

43,299 posts, read 77,142,685 times
You described Amberly in Cary.

Neighborhood rec center that looks like a water park.
Hmmm. Maybe it IS a water park.

When you get old and boring, you can move into Carolina Preserve at Amberly, Del Webb/Pulte's "55 and better" active adult community with great shuffleboard. Seriously, a great community center and active social whirl.

Kids live in Amberly with grandkids, with G'ma 1/4 mile away.

Old 04-22-2009, 11:56 AM

what sets them aside from the county run schools

Old 04-22-2009, 12:01 PM

if they are run by the county are they broken down by district if so I guess excellent will mean the overal district's academic performance vis-a-vis the entire county

Old 04-22-2009, 12:56 PM

2,445 posts, read 7,454,842 times
Most NC school systems are county based. There are a few city based systems. In all, there are 115 systems. All curriculum is based on the NC Standard Course of study. In theory every child in the state is supposed to be taught the same thing, regardless of where they live. Some schools go beyond the Standard Course of Study, some do the bare minimum.

In many areas there are districts in the terms of what area is zoned for each school but the overall academic results are county based. You can look at individual schools here NC Report Cards

Old 04-22-2009, 01:02 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,944,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools are . . . separate from the Orange County school system that serves the rest of the county.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMA View Post
what sets them aside from the county run schools
I wasn't sure if your question was in response to my post about CHCCS? If so, the answer is that Orange County has two completely separate school districts. CHCCS serves students living in the cities of Chapel Hill (except, I believe, those portions falling within Chatam or Durham counties) and Carrboro. Orange County Schools serves students in all other areas of Orange County. There is a special, additional property tax levied within the CHCCS district to support the schools (adding to the cost of living there).

Old 06-08-2009, 03:40 PM

633 posts, read 1,165,214 times
Hi all this dear husband of siny2nc I am really concerned about finding a job around the time we are moving. It seems there are some position with the Cary police department that are open. Also some position with the Raleigh PD and Durham PD but we are unsure if we can move by the time this position are filled. I am currently a police officer with NYPD.
Also concerned about school rezoning in wake forest. We have a high school sophmore and are little worried where we move may effect her. We are concerned about Knightsdale high some property list it as the high school.
While we were visiting in April we drove by Knightsdale and was concern first about distant from where we would be living. Two concern about what we have read about the school. Can anyone help us?

Old 06-08-2009, 05:11 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,099,752 times
Call WCPSS (Wake County Public Schools) and ask questions about reassignments and transportation. Wake County Public School System

Also keep an eye on potential layoffs in city jobs: City of Raleigh | City Manager's Proposed Budget Cuts Spending; Maintains Services (http://www.raleigh-nc.org/portal/server.pt/gateway/PTARGS_0_2_411_208_0_43/http%3B/pt03/DIG_Web_Content/news/public/News-PubAff-City_Manager_s_Proposed_-20090519-14032638.html - broken link)

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary