Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 04:15 PM

741 posts, read 3,511,149 times

Advertisements

I had my daughters ears pierced when she was 3 months old. This was done at the Jewelry Store. I can tell you my baby didn't even cry. It was quick and over with in seconds. They gave us screw backs so the earrings wouldn't pose a choking hazard. And this was 11 yrs. ago. There was never a problem.

Diamonds are a girls best friend.

Old 09-03-2008, 04:15 PM

94 posts, read 433,699 times
Montserat,

I am Cuban-American, culturally we have our ears pierced as infants too. In Miami, ALL the pediatricians offices do it, but they ask you to wait until the baby is at least 3 months old. I don't believe that there is an age restriction after that. I had my daughters ears pierced at 3 months old too - by a pediatrician in New Jersey. When i was little, I remember the old-time jewlers where the ones who did it...pretty barbaric, but we turned out pretty normal!

Old 09-03-2008, 04:51 PM

2,135 posts, read 7,657,757 times
What age is it OK? When the child is old enough to decide for themselves if they want holes in their ears

I know my pediatrician in Apex offers this service. My oldest daughter is 7. And I told her I will let her when she is 8 years old. And it will be at the pediatrician's office. I don't want a teenager at the mall piercing my daughter's ears.

Old 09-03-2008, 05:28 PM

2,697 posts, read 8,697,862 times
I wouldn't do it to a baby this age, but I agree that it's a cultural thing. Honestly I don't think it's too much different from circumcision (especially since my understanding is that there really isn't a concensus in the medical community about whether it should or shouldn't be performed--many people do or don't do it for cultural reasons).

My SIL who is Italian had my niece's ears pierced at 3 months. My other SIL who is Russian Jewish and has family in the jewelry business was planning on doing it but when the time came she couldn't and still has not 4 years later.

Old 09-03-2008, 05:37 PM

551 posts, read 2,287,912 times
I had my ears pierced when I was 14... that would be years, not months, and it was done at my ENT doctor's office.

I completely understand that infant piercing is a common practice in some cultures, but I guess I still have the question of why? I'm truly looking to be informed, here. There are a lot of things that are very common to cultures that I am a part of, but I still feel the need to question them and understand the purpose for the tradition and then make my own decision on whether or not to follow them. So, does the piercing signify something or have some meaning?

Please know that I'm just looking to understand and I'm not judging!

Old 09-03-2008, 05:46 PM

7 posts, read 26,354 times
My daughter had her ears pierced when she was 12 months. She cried for a split second. In fact, she did a whole lot more crying when she would get threee to four immunization shots in one visit at the doctors office! To answer the question posted, I think most doctors recommend that babies have their first rounds of immunizations (this may include a tetanus) in case of infection.

Old 09-03-2008, 05:49 PM

1,190 posts, read 4,049,887 times
Default reply

My daughter will be 14 before we permit this.

Old 09-03-2008, 06:08 PM

2,135 posts, read 7,657,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sls76 View Post
I wouldn't do it to a baby this age, but I agree that it's a cultural thing. Honestly I don't think it's too much different from circumcision (especially since my understanding is that there really isn't a concensus in the medical community about whether it should or shouldn't be performed--many people do or don't do it for cultural reasons).
(((faints))) Comparing ear piercing to circumsion! Oh my! I'm not seeing the comparison You can always close the piercings with minimal scaring. But one the foreskin is gone it's gone! I won't debate the cultural or religous side of it. But there is no medical reason for it.

Old 09-03-2008, 06:24 PM

1,162 posts, read 2,107,917 times
I come from a large Cuban family and we had an aunt that pierced all the girl's ears the day they came home from the hospital and nothing ever happened to us. She must have pierced hundreds and hundreds of ears. My pediarician wouldn't do it until my dd's were a year old. Scared us with talk of infection but I think he was trying to protect himself as well. Cuban babies wear all kinds of jewlery and we even have baby perfume which you wouldn't leave home without.

Old 09-03-2008, 06:39 PM

492 posts, read 2,108,381 times
This may seem a bit odd, but I'd suggest asking at one of the Indian stores/emporiums, or the Hindu cultural center. Infant ear piercing is practiced by many cultures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary