Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2008, 12:52 AM

10,361 posts, read 8,601,660 times

Advertisements

Hi all!
I am considering making the move the the Triangle area and trying to start up a new business.
I currently am 50 yr old and own a photography studio in the San Francisco bay area-more specifically the east bay city of Pleasanton. The whole area here is moderately affluent with household median incomes hovering around the 100 to 150K mark Homes cost around the $700 to $900K range.
I am considered to be on the higher end of cost for my services but am also considered one of the best.

My question is can the Triangle area support a high end portrait studio? It seems that while incomes are lower than my area, houses are much less so I would imagine both areas have a reasonable amount of discretionary income.
I currently net out close to $100K a yr here, but I am thinking if I netted say $70K in Raleigh-durham area it's less money but the cost of a house is so much less I would be ahead. Any thoughts or suggestions?

I am flying out to visit in a few weeks. Any suggestions on where to set up shop? From what I've read Cary might be the right demographics for me to live in and operate my new studio.

Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2008, 06:13 AM

1,007 posts, read 5,668,873 times
North Raleigh or inside the beltline (Downtown Raleigh area) might be another option. These areas are considered affluent. Cannot comment on if the area would support this type of business. Here is an older news article about N. Raleigh.. it has been the same since I moved to the area in 1992. North Raleigh leads ranking of Triangle luxury ZIP codes - Triangle Business Journal:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary