Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 11:48 AM

162 posts, read 734,939 times

Advertisements

In NY (long Island) the kids go to the school closet to where they live. I have been reading & researching both Cary & Chapel Hill for our relocation later this year. Can someone please explain how the Cary (wake) schools work? Do they move the kids around every year? Do they move siblings to different schools (with different calendars?) Cary looks like such a nice place for a family but the school thing has me nervous. That is why we started looking at CH (but more $). Would the school situation prevent you from lookin into Cary or is it a non issue? Any help would be appreciated as this is all new to me. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2008, 12:11 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,592,671 times
Kids don't get reassigned every year, atleast not the same kids every year. Wake Co. does announce large reassignment plans pretty much every year and Cary is often hard hit because it is so large and still growing. Expect elementary school kids to most likely go to a year round school and get reassigned atleast once or twice from k-5.

Old 09-09-2008, 12:24 PM

488 posts, read 1,555,070 times
Reassignments are annual. There is no guarantee that you won't get reassigned. This coming year I would expect reassignments at a minimum of Elementary level and there will be a Highschool reassignment coming out this year for Cary (for the 2009-2010 school year). There is no guarantee that siblings will be on the same calendars and most likely they will be on different calendars if you have children in different schools (highschool, middle, elementary). I would look into private schools in Cary or stick with Chapel Hill.

Old 09-09-2008, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCBoyMommy View Post
Reassignments are annual. There is no guarantee that you won't get reassigned. This coming year I would expect reassignments at a minimum of Elementary level and there will be a Highschool reassignment coming out this year for Cary (for the 2009-2010 school year). There is no guarantee that siblings will be on the same calendars and most likely they will be on different calendars if you have children in different schools (highschool, middle, elementary). I would look into private schools in Cary or stick with Chapel Hill.
That was what I was afraid of.

Old 09-09-2008, 12:27 PM

Quote:
So are most of the schools in Wake on year round schedules? What kind of calendar is that? How much time do the kids get off? Sorry for all the question but I do not understand the year round thing. What time off do year round schedules give kids? I have to go to Disneyworld you know!

Old 09-09-2008, 12:30 PM

488 posts, read 1,555,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Disneyfans View Post
So are most of the schools in Wake on year round schedules? What kind of calendar is that? How much time do the kids get off? Sorry for all the question but I do not understand the year round thing. What time off do year round schedules give kids? I have to go to Disneyworld you know!

Here is a link to the calendars.

http://www.wcpss.net/Calendars/2008-...year-round.pdf

WCPSS: 2008-09 School Calendars

Most elementary schools are multi track year round (Tracks 1-4). There are also YR middle schools. All highschools are traditional.

Old 09-09-2008, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Here is a link to the calendars.

http://www.wcpss.net/Calendars/2008-...year-round.pdf

WCPSS: 2008-09 School Calendars

Most elementary schools are multi track year round (Tracks 1-4). There are also YR middle schools. All highschools are traditional.
Thank you for posting the calendar.

Old 09-09-2008, 03:40 PM

114 posts, read 373,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Disneyfans View Post
Well for Disneyworld purposes, YR are a far better option. It's basically 9 weeks on, 3 weeks off. E.g. track 1 has three weeks in December off - IMO a perfect time to visit Disneyworld (weather quite pleasant, best rates, lowest crowds, etc.)

Old 09-09-2008, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtNC View Post
Well for Disneyworld purposes, YR are a far better option. It's basically 9 weeks on, 3 weeks off. E.g. track 1 has three weeks in December off - IMO a perfect time to visit Disneyworld (weather quite pleasant, best rates, lowest crowds, etc.)
I would love that too however with 3 kids that would be in different schools I was concerned they would not all be on the same calendar. That would be cool to be in Disney right now...Soarin was 20 minutes wait at 3pm today!!!!

Old 09-09-2008, 04:52 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,110,414 times
It depends on your kids. All high schools in Wake County (not just Cary) are traditional calendar. If you have a high school student and students in other grades, they would be on different calendars. But most of the time, if you have kids all in one elementary or middle, they'll all be on the same track. If you have some in middle and some in elementary, they'll generally be on the same track. The issue with different calendars comes when your oldest moves up to HS and the others are still in the lower grades.

As for moving kids around every year, yes, they do, but not the SAME kids every year. Most kids who are reassigned have it done once in elementary, where most of the crowding issues lie. I believe there will be some reassignments at the MS and high school levels next year .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary