Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 09:51 AM

240 posts, read 1,289,289 times

Advertisements

If you are looking for a nightlife this is not the area for you but that is just my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2008, 11:00 AM

528 posts, read 1,462,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampetry View Post
Would you consider Raleigh and the surrounding areas good for people in their early 20's or is it more for people who are married and have children? If you were (or are) in your early 20's would you find Raleigh and it's surrounding areas (talking mostly about Cary since that is where we would be living) to be an exciting place to live or better saved for when you have a family?
While I think Cary's residents would be welcoming to a single couple, it sounds like you might not feel comfortable in such a family-oriented community. And while I wouldn't consider the area "it" for nightlife, it seems as though since you are still single, you might want to live where the crowd is younger. If you can't do downtown, then perhaps you and your fiance might consider a college community such as Chapel Hill or Carrboro?

Old 09-11-2008, 11:30 AM

91 posts, read 308,386 times
Raleigh is what you make of it. I live outside the belt in surburbia, i'm a single guy with a 4 bedroom house (of course I have 2 cars, a truck and a motorcycle that all my neighbors hate). I can still get to downtown in about 15-20 mins

Old 09-11-2008, 03:51 PM

185 posts, read 567,109 times
WOW-Thank you everyone! I was sure once this thread got pushed to the second page it wouldn't get any more responses. You guys have been incredibly helpful! So, to respond to some of the suggestions;

The school that I plan on attending is on Buck Jones Rd. My fiance is probably going to end up working in the Cary Auto Mall (the place that has, like, 5 dealerships), but could end up working at the Carmax on Glenwood Ave. We would like to either live close to my school or somewhere that offers a direct route to the school since I am (yes, I'll admit it) terrible with directions.

As far as being able to walk, we actually really enjoy driving and taking road trips. Yes it would be nice to have a couple conveniences nearby but we don't mind driving to get to the things we want or need. Plus, with my fiance's choice in a career (automotive technician), living in a place where most people use public transportation would most likely cause some issues in the money making department.

We have looked into Charlotte but for whatever reason we just don't feel any real draw to that area. Plus, it's even further from the beach. According to my fiance I would be happy to just set up a tent on the beach and live there, and sometimes, I think he's right.

Thank you again, everyone! You are all so helpful. I still have some concerns but I think we will be able to find enough activities to keep us happy.

Old 09-12-2008, 05:54 AM

2,392 posts, read 5,722,165 times
The one advantage you have versus the "typical" single person moving here is that you have some one. There is nightlife here and it should suit most needs. However, I do feel that as a unattached single the Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill area has a more family oriented/attached couple stance to it.

Old 09-12-2008, 06:41 AM

643 posts, read 2,053,304 times
I've been here for five years and .... I have never been so BORED with a city in my entire life. I've lived in Durham/Chapel Hill, way out in the boonies, in Cary and Raleigh (close to downtown).

You have to scrape and scrounge for anything fun to do. It's horrible. If you want something to do, you have to PAY PAY PAY. You can't go anywhere without spending money (either to get in or because spending money is the only thing to do once you get there).

It's horrible, awful and miserable. I can't wait to get out of this place.

Old 09-12-2008, 07:21 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,641,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JillBoBill View Post
I've been here for five years and .... I have never been so BORED with a city in my entire life. I've lived in Durham/Chapel Hill, way out in the boonies, in Cary and Raleigh (close to downtown).

You have to scrape and scrounge for anything fun to do. It's horrible. If you want something to do, you have to PAY PAY PAY. You can't go anywhere without spending money (either to get in or because spending money is the only thing to do once you get there).

It's horrible, awful and miserable. I can't wait to get out of this place.
Sorry to hear this, but wow, you must not be looking in the right places. I usually have more options of FREE things to do on a weekend here in Raleigh than I ever did my whole life living in Miami. I find myself having to choose between multiple things that I'd like to do because of the options. If you can't find something to do here, then what exactly is it that you are looking for?

This is kind of a slow weekend (and this is not even close to a comprehensive list), but here are some examples of things to do this weekend:

Tonight

Saturday
  • Downtown Designer's Market (broken link)at Ornamentea & Purple Armchair (free, 9-3)
  • Big Boss Brewery Tour (free tour and two pints, 2pm)

Next weekend (19-21 Sept) will be SparkCon, a local arts and creativity festival. All events are free to attend, and the whole festival is organized by volunteers on their own time and dime.

Old 09-12-2008, 08:51 AM

185 posts, read 567,109 times
JillBoBill-just out of curiosity, may I ask where it is that you are looking to move to?

miamiblue-Thank you for that list! It appears that Raleigh hosts many events. Would you happen to know of any events that are held in October, such as Oktoberfest or anything Halloween related?

Old 09-12-2008, 09:33 AM

2,392 posts, read 5,722,165 times
Quote:
JillBoBill-just out of curiosity, may I ask where it is that you are looking to move to?

miamiblue-Thank you for that list! It appears that Raleigh hosts many events. Would you happen to know of any events that are held in October, such as Oktoberfest or anything Halloween related?
If you want Halloween related, Chapel Hill tends to have one of the larger events.

Old 09-12-2008, 09:34 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,641,789 times
Quote:
There are some monthly recurring events such as the Depot Fest and First Friday.

The World Beer Festival in Durham is Oct. 4 (they do this in Raleigh in the spring). Tickets sell out very quickly for these events, but you can usually find them on craigslist.

Art Raleigh

The Triangle Jazz Festival (http://www.trianglejazz.org/ - broken link) in...wait for it...CARY!

This is just what I could come up with real quick. I remember seeing a flier for some kind of Halloween thing a couple weekends ago, but I can't remember the details (I'm pretty sure it was NOT Franklin St).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary