Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2008, 03:15 AM

3 posts, read 7,391 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and will be new to the Raleigh area within a few weeks. I will be relocated (expatriated) for a 2 year period. I've been looking on the internet to find out what the best places are in Raleigh (or surrounding areas), but it's very hard to find what would fit my needs...

What I would be looking for is a neat 2br apartement in a quiet, but lively neighbourhood. I'm used to living < 1,5 mile out of the city centre, but my current city centres are the places where all the restaurants, shops, clubs, etc are (I'm Dutch by the way). I'm wondering if that is what I should be pursueing in the US and in particular the Raleigh area. Since I will be by myself and traveling a lot I would like your opinions on what strategy would be best:
- near city centre;
- near the airport;
- near the office (where I will be working 1 day a week). Our office is on the belt (west-north-west);
- somewhere in between.

I will need to built a new social network. I would be happy to travel a bit more to work, as long as I have access to places to meet people. Being in my early 30's, I don't need to be out every week, but I enjoy the possibility. I will be going out the first couple of weeks, to try to get to know people (sport events, bars, clubs, etc).

Please take in account that I'm trying to keep the rent in the 750-850 range.

I see all the structure is gone from my message, but I hope you are able to figure out what my dilemmas are.

BTW: all advice on relocating to Raleigh is highly appriciated (including the essentials as opening a bankaccount and get a US driverslicense and how hard/ easy it is to get furniture in the Raleigh area).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2008, 04:05 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,493,158 times
what are will you be working in? that will help us narrow down your choices on where to live.
seeing as how you live in near the city center now, i would say stick to Raliegh and Durham, maybe near the center of Chapel Hill (which will probably be out of your price range)

Old 09-17-2008, 04:08 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,493,158 times
you will defiantely need to establish "credit" so you will need a checking account and in order to get that, some money and some ID
Drivers license, you will need 6 "points" worth of ID. one of them will need to show your new address.
furniture--easy--if you have credit or money. they will deliver and there are MANY stores to shop in.
the key to everything is to have the money to back everything up, and to find a place to live first.

Old 09-17-2008, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
what are will you be working in? that will help us narrow down your choices on where to live.
seeing as how you live in near the city center now, i would say stick to Raliegh and Durham, maybe near the center of Chapel Hill (which will probably be out of your price range)
Hi Findinghope,

I will be working at Lake Bone Trail and Myron Drive, near NCSU. I don't know how the area it self is called (google maps doesn't provide the names of the area's).

I've been looking @ Raleigh mainly for now, since our office is located there, but since I won't be commuting on a daily basis, I don't mind to live a bit further from the office, as long as the neighbourhood makes up for the inconvenience of not living close to work.

Hope this clarifies the area part...

What is 6 points worth of ID? Does a foreign drivers licence count and how many points are awarded for a passport? Since I've been told I need a US driving lincense in 10 days from arrival (and obtaining a SSN will take 10 days, with which I can open a bankaccount to get bankstatements with my address), it might be hard to get to 6 points worth of ID. Anyone any ideas on how to cope with this? It is probably a known issue for expats.

Thanks again!

Old 09-17-2008, 05:35 AM

1,277 posts, read 3,548,731 times
The Brier Creek area seems pretty central and might be a good place to start looking. Lots of stores, shops and right off 540 so it gives easy access to the rest of the triangle. Also, folks have said good things about apartments near Southpoint. Downtown Raleigh around Glenwood Ave and Peace St offers closer access to nightlife and restaurants - not sure of price range though.

Old 09-17-2008, 05:39 AM

1,277 posts, read 3,548,731 times
You might find these links helpful:

driver license: NCDOT Division of Motor Vehicles: Applying for a Driver License or Learner Permit?

other links: Updated Newcomer Links (http://www.newcomer.com/cities/raleigh/RDlinks.html - broken link)

Old 09-17-2008, 05:51 AM

39 posts, read 129,743 times
the company my hubby works for has a couple of people relocating here from germany and i usually help them to get setteled in. the first thing to do is, get a ssn. after that usually we open up a bank account. some banks like boa and first citizens will open up a checking account even if you dont have a ssn, they just need that confirmation that you applied for one and as soon as you get your ssn you just have to pass it on to them.
after this is done we usually have to wait a couple of weeks until the ssn card has arrived. then you can do ahead and rent an appartment and buy a car and stuff like that.
the tricky part was that you have to have a car that is insured under your name in order to take the driver licence test (they dont accept the european one, so you have to do both tests theorie and road test but its easy). and in order to buy a car you have to have a NC driver licence. well that is quiet impossible. but most car dealers and insurances(the nice ones) gave them a grace period of 2 days to get the drivers licence.
if you speak German maybe this site called talkaboutusa.com can help you.
or just write me a message if you need more informations on relocating.

Old 09-18-2008, 08:17 AM

Thanks so far!

I'll have the office check out some admin stuff for me (bankaccounts, drivers license, ssn etc).
And I'll check around Glenwoon Ave. In the end I won't know for sure what's the best spot(s) untill I get there...

WeluvNC:
Thanks for the links. Very helpfull indeed!

hemera:
thanks as well. I do speak (and read some German), but it's limited. I checked the site, but I won't be able to understand all of it. I will contact you when I need more info (and the questions are concrete).

Another thing I'm wondering about:
At arrival I'll check in to a hotel, but I want to get out of hotels asap. Any tips on where to get a decent temporary (max 3 months probably less)place to live? It doesn't have to be fancy (even a studio would do), but it would have to be fully equiped.

Old 09-18-2008, 08:48 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,170,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeLuvNC View Post
The Brier Creek area seems pretty central and might be a good place to start looking. Lots of stores, shops and right off 540 so it gives easy access to the rest of the triangle. Also, folks have said good things about apartments near Southpoint. Downtown Raleigh around Glenwood Ave and Peace St offers closer access to nightlife and restaurants - not sure of price range though.
Brier Creek may be central to the greater Triangle area but it's in the middle of nowhere when it comes to nightlife. It's also further from his/her job near NCSU. Since the office is near the nightlife, why should he/she want to live out in the middle of the burbs?
There are plenty of choices for apartments in the area. Keeping in the prices range with the desired location is going to be tricky. One could look inside the Beltline for something really nice but pay a lot more money. One could look around the Crabtree area near the beltline and stay closer to the budget for something nice. Or, one could look inside the Beltline at older properties and possibly stay in the budget. A lot is going to depend on what sort of property one seeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary