Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2008, 04:34 AM

114 posts, read 431,603 times

Advertisements

Ok , heres the issue we are facing.....
We signed a contract for a new home in a couple of months ago. The house is under construction right now and the framing stage has been completed. We have noticed that two features that we thought and had been told (multiple times )were standard in the house (lets call them A and B ) have not been installed . So we questioned our sales agent regarding the same.
The sales agent now claims that those features constitute optional upgrades and that since we did not choose them at the sales meet , they have not been installed. Now ,we very distinctly remember being told on different occaions that features A and B are standard options in the house, when we were looking that the house , floorplan etc before signing.

We are requesting that A and B be included in our home since we were told that these are standard features.The agent is blatantly lying that he never claimed so. We do have a realtor but he is no help at all.
We are fair people and we do not want to pursue this if its an unreasonable expectation from the builder. But in this case ,we really believe, we are the injured party,especially since we have encountered other minor issues (not quoted here ) where the sales agent has retracted his claims.
What do you veterans think is the right course of action here ?
Pursue or let go ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2008, 05:35 AM

1,540 posts, read 5,564,137 times
I'm really sorry you are going through that. Was your agent sitting in on the conversation. I have done a lot of new construction, and as the agent I am in on all meetings when my clients are there, just for that reason. I am making mental as well as written notes. I am just another set of ears that can back my client when something like this happens which it has, an we ere able to get it solved, to my client's benefit. The builder wants you happy, so I have gone further up the ladder, and by passed the onsite agent, because they really don't have the final say so. I have gone to VP of Construction as well as VP of the whole company, and for me anyway it worked. Something to think about. Document everything.

Old 09-27-2008, 06:09 AM

1,467 posts, read 5,129,732 times
In my past experience, the builder's representative has made me initial a copy of the standard features page at time of contract. Perhaps you have a copy of this tucked away in your contract paperwork somewhere?

Old 09-27-2008, 06:55 AM

1,489 posts, read 5,695,305 times
Are those features listed in your contract? Sometimes it can be a simple misunderstanding.

Old 09-27-2008, 08:55 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,865,120 times
Did you intial the building design drawings? did the drawings have the features included in the plans which hopefully you approved? if so then then it is a fairly straightforward process to demonstrate that the feaures were included - if they are not on the drawings then it will be a more difficult discussion as to why you approved the builders interpretation of the contract and then some time later dispute what you think was agreed

Old 09-29-2008, 10:09 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,212,831 times
Basically:

1 - In your defense, a "standard option" is a ridiculous term as "standard" does imply "comes with it" kind of thing. However, an option is still just that, an option.

2 - You should assume absolutely NOTHING if it is not in writing. If not, then you probably don't have a leg to stand on, legally speaking. Check your contract(s) with a fine tooth comb and/or consult your lawyer (I surely hope you have one).

3 - I'm wondering what this has to do w/North Carolina or being a veteran - ?? ie am I missing something like some unique VA loan issue or state law (etc)?

Good luck

Old 09-29-2008, 12:11 PM

1,489 posts, read 5,695,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill545 View Post
Basically:

1 - In your defense, a "standard option" is a ridiculous term as "standard" does imply "comes with it" kind of thing. However, an option is still just that, an option.

2 - You should assume absolutely NOTHING if it is not in writing. If not, then you probably don't have a leg to stand on, legally speaking. Check your contract(s) with a fine tooth comb and/or consult your lawyer (I surely hope you have one).

3 - I'm wondering what this has to do w/North Carolina or being a veteran - ?? ie am I missing something like some unique VA loan issue or state law (etc)?

Good luck
I think the OP was referring to veteran home buyers. People with experience in buying new homes, who have been through the process, and not former military.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary