Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 10:32 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,645,240 times

Advertisements

OK, here's my problem. Politically, I'm a very liberal guy. But I'm also a guy who prefers living in the suburbs. I know, I know. The suburbs are boring, cookie-cutter, too family-oriented, full of conservatives, etc. But that's just where I'm used to living. I've thought about living in the city, but I know that I would never be able to make the adjustment and would miss a lot of the things that I'd have to give up. And the liberals who started out in the city eventually get married, have kids and move out to where the better schools are and where they can get more house for their money. And hopefully, they don't let the suburbs change who they are. So my question is what suburbs do liberals live in? When I say liberal, I don't mean the extreme hippies or that sorta thing. I just mean regular people who aren't afraid to put Obama signs in their yard or on their car. I'm used to living in the burbs, but don't want to feel like I'm the only Democrat in my neighborhood or worse, that I'm not welcome because of my political views.

Old 10-10-2008, 10:35 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,291,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
OK, here's my problem. Politically, I'm a very liberal guy. But I'm also a guy who prefers living in the suburbs. I know, I know. The suburbs are boring, cookie-cutter, too family-oriented, full of conservatives, etc. But that's just where I'm used to living. I've thought about living in the city, but I know that I would never be able to make the adjustment and would miss a lot of the things that I'd have to give up. And the liberals who started out in the city eventually get married, have kids and move out to where the better schools are and where they can get more house for their money. And hopefully, they don't let the suburbs change who they are. So my question is what suburbs do liberals live in? When I say liberal, I don't mean the extreme hippies or that sorta thing. I just mean regular people who aren't afraid to put Obama signs in their yard or on their car. I'm used to living in the burbs, but don't want to feel like I'm the only Democrat in my neighborhood or worse, that I'm not welcome because of my political views.

You'll be fine almost anywhere here. There is a good mix in most neighborhoods.

Read this for a similar discussion: Looking For Core Conservative Value Neighborhood

Old 10-10-2008, 10:50 AM

2,835 posts, read 7,344,530 times
Quote:
I agree with what NRG said! The burbs have lots of Democratic, Republicans, and Independents. I think if you bought a home and immediately filled your yard with Obama posters and signs you might get some strange looks from your neighbors, that not because they are Republicans, Democrats or Independant its because many HOA have rules about what you can and cannot put in your yard. It has nothing to do with politics or what burbs you live in.

I find a pretty good mix of people around and ones that don't really care who is running as they don't vote anyway but that for another thread!

I think you will be fine in the city, burbs, or farm in the Triangle area.

...and I approve this post!!! Ha!

Old 10-10-2008, 11:12 AM

521 posts, read 1,599,043 times
Quote:
I'm used to living in the burbs, but don't want to feel like I'm the only Democrat in my neighborhood or worse, that I'm not welcome because of my political views.
I don't think you're going to have that problem anywhere. I'm not clear how people think they can identify a neighborhood as liberal or conservative. Is it just speculation based off a few political signs posted in yards? Or the cars? (Volvo wagons indicate liberals, Dodge Caravans indicate conservatives, perhaps.) Do people really take a census of the political views of their potential neighbors before moving in? That's, frankly, an unsettling thought.

I suspect we all want the same thing in our immediate neighborhood -- safety, courtesy, friendliness, people who maintain their property to a reasonable degree, etc. These qualities have little correlation with one's political views.

Old 10-10-2008, 11:43 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,645,240 times
Thanks for the replies. Up here in Chicago, you drive around and see lots of signs for one candidate or another. But what's amazing is how homogeneous it can be. I was driving down one street the other day and all I saw were McCain-Palin signs. Wherever I end up doesn't have to be full of only liberals. I just want to be sure it's a place that welcomes diversity in all forms (politics, race, religion, etc.).

Old 10-10-2008, 11:43 AM

63 posts, read 86,278 times
Quote:
Who cares? I have lived in my neighborhood for years and dont know if my neighbors are republican or dem or other, we dont care and all get along good!

Old 10-10-2008, 11:46 AM

171 posts, read 452,070 times
Quote:
Around these parts and every other place I've ever lived, the liberals live in the same suburbs as the conservatives, except of course those liberals who are repulsed by conservatives, but I'm not sure where they go.

In addition to ideology, you seem to also be interested in what suburbs people of various political party affiliations live in. Around here and every other place I've ever lived, Democrats tend to live in the same suburbs as Republicans, Libertarians and Independents.

I'd hate to live in a world that segregates liberals and conservatives and Democrats and Republicans. It's very sad if that is the direction we're headed.

So if you are open-minded and accepting of different people and different views, then you should be just fine in any Triangle suburb. However, if you are repulsed by conservatives then I suggest you stay right where you are if you've found a happy place where only liberals (you know, regular people) live and conservatives (you know, irregular people) aren't welcomed.

Old 10-10-2008, 11:48 AM

65 posts, read 266,936 times
Try East Durham you will be very happy there. Every house has an Obama sign outside.

Old 10-10-2008, 12:03 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,395,835 times
I might suggest the Chapel Hill-Carrboro area. It is progressive and has a college town atmosphere, but there are also large areas that are more or less suburban (i.e. lawns, quiet residential neighborhoods etc.). If you work in Raleigh you may have a bit of a commute, but Durham is only a short distance away and I think that area may be more or less what you may be looking for. Obama signs and bumperstickers are pretty normal and it is a tolerant and accepting area of religious, and ethnic diversity. There are also some of the best schools in the state there if you are intersted in that. There are some conservatives, but not many so it does tend to be a bit of a liberal bubble.

I do not know if that is what you are looking for, but I hope this helps.

Old 10-10-2008, 12:16 PM

635 posts, read 3,093,288 times
I don't want to put words(or actions) into "DennyCrane's" mouth

.... but I'm going out on a limb to guess this may be a tongue-in-cheek knee-jerk to the very thread referenced above

Looking For Core Conservative Value Neighborhood

Or maybe not, who knows. But if you watch "Boston Legal", the "Denny Crane" character William Shatner plays is an extreme conservative caricature. Heh.

Al
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary