Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2008, 06:44 AM

492 posts, read 2,108,208 times

Advertisements

Today's plan is to explore Durham.

I'll start with the Scrap Exchange, which I just learned about from another thread this morning. I'll cruise by the good running shoe store that is called "Ninth Street ... " but isn't on 9th street.

Where else should I explore (other than Duke and gardens)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2008, 07:03 AM

4,265 posts, read 11,424,269 times
Definitely go to Brightleaf Square - by downtown, walkable with so many great shops and restaurants. I'd also recommend driving through some of the older historic neighborhoods such as Watts Hillandale, Trinity Park etc.

Old 10-12-2008, 01:36 PM

58 posts, read 149,149 times
South Braggtown, Old North Durham and the Watts-Hillandale neighborhoods are places I'd go to. There is still, Ninth St. and some of Old West Durham. Durham Central Park is near the Scrap Exchange. I wish I knew exactly what you would be looking for.

Old 10-12-2008, 03:14 PM

1,219 posts, read 3,294,327 times
Grannie Panties on Guess Road is fun, also the original Loco Pops on Hillsborough Rd (or is it still Markham at that point?). There's a great garden shop by the old Durham Bulls ballpark, also 9th Street in general is fun - great bookstore and Vaguely Reminiscent is always fun!!

Old 10-12-2008, 03:28 PM

492 posts, read 2,108,208 times
Reporting back in: I went over to the ScrapExchange, and then puttered around Central Park. Then over to the 9th Street area -- fun to stroll there on a sunny Sunday afternoon. It has a somewhat, oh, "upscale Berkeley" vibe.

Then over to Duke. It's a gorgeous campus -- definitely the "Princeton of the South." I couldn't figure out where I was allowed to park in center campus, so I settled for just driving around. If I can figure out the visitor parking, then Dawg and I will be back over there for Sunday afternoon walks. A little research on the Duke website is definitely in order.

I spotted the garden store near the ScrapExchange -- and have noted it for a return trip. Sunday is a great day to drive around downtown Durham -- traffic is almost non-existant, so it's a good chance to get oriented and note places to return to: Brightleaf Square, the Tobacco District, and so on.

Old 10-12-2008, 04:59 PM

4,265 posts, read 11,424,269 times
Glad you enjoyed your day! And I hope you enjoy your upcoming move to Austin - my husband's sister/brother-in-law-kids live there and love love love it!

Old 10-12-2008, 06:37 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,757,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_newcomer View Post

I spotted the garden store near the ScrapExchange -- and have noted it for a return trip.
I'm glad you had a good time in Durham today. The garden store might be Stone Brothers & Byrd on Washington St. I love this store!!! It's old fashion and hip all at the same time. They have one of those huge wooden seed storage bins behind the counter. The kind that you see the seeds in the glass windows of the bins (like a pantry Hoiser) and they measure the seeds on a little metal scale and put them in a brown paper bag for you. My Granddaddy use to buy seed this way. When I saw this place it brought back a rush of memories of going to the seed & feed with him.

And the folks there are super nice.

Old 10-12-2008, 07:04 PM

1,219 posts, read 3,294,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post
I'm glad you had a good time in Durham today. The garden store might be Stone Brothers & Byrd on Washington St. I love this store!!! It's old fashion and hip all at the same time. They have one of those huge wooden seed storage bins behind the counter. The kind that you see the seeds in the glass windows of the bins (like a pantry Hoiser) and they measure the seeds on a little metal scale and put them in a brown paper bag for you. My Granddaddy use to buy seed this way. When I saw this place it brought back a rush of memories of going to the seed & feed with him.

And the folks there are super nice.
Yes, that's the one I meant. I Love that place!!!

Old 10-17-2008, 02:54 PM

16 posts, read 44,703 times
Hint for parking a duke: They can only issue 'duke tickets' if you park somewhere you aren't supposed to. These aren't real city tickets so just throw them away. Just don't park in a doctor's spot or any spot that says towing enforced. I wouldn't do it more than 5 times a year though since I think they record license plates. The best place to park is by the duke gardens, you can walk up to the chapel by taking the path through the middle of the gardens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary