Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2007, 04:29 PM

154 posts, read 688,738 times

Advertisements

We're looking for a low-crime, smallish town (up to 40,000 maybe?) that isnt just newly built suburban sprawl - something with character or maybe just interesting, family activities like farmer's markets, etc. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2007, 04:40 PM

842 posts, read 3,229,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karelise View Post
We're looking for a low-crime, smallish town (up to 40,000 maybe?) that isnt just newly built suburban sprawl - something with character or maybe just interesting, family activities like farmer's markets, etc. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

thanks
Hrm....not newly built suburban sprawl? That may be a little difficult, but you might want to check out Apex, Holly Springs, and Fuquay Varina. All three are 'sprawling' somewhat (Apex the most, FV the least), but not anything like Cary or North Raleigh. IMHO, both Apex and FV have charming downtowns, and Holly Springs is getting a farmers market soon.

Old 02-18-2007, 04:51 PM

2,024 posts, read 5,915,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbognar View Post
Hrm....not newly built suburban sprawl? That may be a little difficult, but you might want to check out Apex, Holly Springs, and Fuquay Varina. All three are 'sprawling' somewhat (Apex the most, FV the least), but not anything like Cary or North Raleigh. IMHO, both Apex and FV have charming downtowns, and Holly Springs is getting a farmers market soon.
Er... Apex, Holly Springs, and Fuquay Varina are the *definition* of newly built suburban sprawl.

Your best bet for a smaller town with these kind of features would probably be Carrboro.

Your best bet for finding older neighborhoods with characters, features like farmers' markets and unique shopping, is going to be in larger cities, not the smaller towns. Inside-the-440 beltline (ITB) Raleigh or parts of Durham fit this bill; so does Chapel Hill.

Old 02-18-2007, 04:59 PM

842 posts, read 3,229,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull City Rising View Post
Er... Apex, Holly Springs, and Fuquay Varina are the *definition* of newly built suburban sprawl.

Your best bet for a smaller town with these kind of features would probably be Carrboro.
While there is some sprawl (especially on the north side of Apex), I don't think there's that much sprawl in this area (not yet at least). But it's not anything like what's going on in Cary, Morrisville, and North Raleigh. There's still 'charm' in this area.

I do agree with you about Carrboro though...I wasn't thinking about areas that far west.

Old 02-18-2007, 05:49 PM

2,024 posts, read 5,915,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbognar View Post
While there is some sprawl (especially on the north side of Apex), I don't think there's that much sprawl in this area (not yet at least). But it's not anything like what's going on in Cary, Morrisville, and North Raleigh. There's still 'charm' in this area.

I do agree with you about Carrboro though...I wasn't thinking about areas that far west.
I should have been clearer. I don't mean Apex, FV or HS are sprawled _themselves_ (as you pointed out, some of them are pretty compact), but rather that they're a far sight from downtown Raleigh, RTP, etc. ... meaning they contribute to sprawl around the metro. Sorry, I didn't make that too clear, and it might not matter so much to the OP.

Old 02-19-2007, 12:30 AM

330 posts, read 1,977,065 times
Default Wake Forest?

What about Wake Forest? Is WF growing just as fast as Cary, Apex & Holly Springs? If so are they doing a better job by preparing Wake Forest for a very populated future? Like with the schools, roads, hospitals and so on? If not they better start tomorrow.

Old 02-19-2007, 06:19 AM

3,124 posts, read 12,669,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amsm196 View Post
What about Wake Forest? Is WF growing just as fast as Cary, Apex & Holly Springs? If so are they doing a better job by preparing Wake Forest for a very populated future? Like with the schools, roads, hospitals and so on? If not they better start tomorrow.
Yes, the Wake Forest goverment is well aware of the growth and has plans n place. (I have no clue about hospitals - as these don't seem to be done on a 'town' level down here).

How well these plans pan out, remains to be seen.

Old 02-19-2007, 06:24 AM

1,531 posts, read 7,408,757 times
Default Carrboro definitely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull City Rising View Post

Your best bet for finding older neighborhoods with characters, features like farmers' markets and unique shopping, is going to be in larger cities, not the smaller towns. Inside-the-440 beltline (ITB) Raleigh or parts of Durham fit this bill; so does Chapel Hill.
As usual, BCR reads my mind.

Yeah definitely sounds like the original poster is describing Carrboro better than just about any other town around here I can think of. In fact I bet no other town in the entire state better fits this description.

Some say Pittsboro still is like that...although I think the suburban sprawl has started to hit them too, somewhat. Hopefully they'll put the brakes on that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary