Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 08:27 AM

259 posts, read 1,041,901 times

Advertisements

Hi Lori1961,

Unfortunately, I can't stand on my feet for hours (doctors orders) so retail isn't going to wrok for me. But I thank you for the idea. I'd apply at WalMark or Sears or any other retail store, but it won't work for me. I have PLANTAR FASCIITIS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori1961 View Post
A lot of retail stores are hiring for the holidays and even though this is something you may not want to do long term, it is something to get you through the next 2 or 3 months, until you find something else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2008, 08:45 AM

862 posts, read 3,549,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Lover View Post
I did call Social Services, but I would have to move to a place with people who are on Section 8, give up my car since they will not put gas in it, pay for the insurance, or pay for the registration when it comes due again. If I want a job I need wheels to get to interviews and to hopefully land a job.
I'm not sure I'm understanding you, you're upset about moving somewhere with people who are on section 8, but you're considering moving to a shelter somewhere up north? This is something you wouldn't consider even temporarily? At least with the people on section 8, they are very strictly screened. It may not seem like that, but if anyone is arrested or has a record, they will either not get the voucher or if they are already on the program, they lose it immediately even BEFORE a conviction is made. I'm not so sure a shelter could provide that type of screening, but I could be wrong.

Another thing I don't understand is why 'give up the car' is mentioned along with seeking help from social services. Maybe it's just the way you typed it. I also agree that holding on to a vehicle is a top priority, but I don't see how that is what it's coming to if you have to move into some type of affordable housing situation. Please explain.

One more thing that hasn't been mentioned is that you can look into staying at some type of extended stay hotel like Extended Stay Hotels, Crossland, or Homestead. I have a friend who has had to go that route more than once with her relocation to NC and she has four children with her. I don't think you need any proof of employment. You can pay weekly rates.

Old 10-29-2008, 09:15 AM

69 posts, read 208,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
Sorry to hear that! I'm afraid to say that this is going on everywhere. The economy is bad. If we can make it through this we can make it through anything. Do you belong to a church? I know, at my church, they will help you get through this hard time. The Salvation Army and other organizations can help. You just have to seek them out. Can you do any type of side work? Are you good with computers, cleaning, babysitting? Anything to carry you over. I know how frustrating this could be, but don't give up! Get back on your feet and get out there looking again. You've done it before, so you know you can do it again. If you have to go on food stamps temporarily, so be it. Can you move into one of these rooms for rent? They have them around $300 month until you get on your feet. I'm sure they have shelters there too, if that's your last resort. They have the youth hostile which I think they charge $9 a night. Anyone can stay there. Please don't give up and good luck!
Great advice! I also wanted to share this site with you... not sure what course of action you are taking for your PF, I am a myomassologist and know that you can get GREAT results at home with some simple exercises... Here's the site... TP Massage Ball (http://www.tptherapy.com/footinjuries.php?sym=8 - broken link)

Just something to consider... They sell tools there, but you can use a REGULAR tennis ball... and then move to a soft, but firm ball, and then on to a golf ball...
Worth a looksy.... ?

Old 10-29-2008, 11:48 AM

Default shelter vs moving in with section 8

When I called about the Section 8 apartments they said I would need money if I wanted to keep my car. I need to put gas in it, pay the registration and insurance. They so not help with that. Just just put a roof over your head. If you want TV, phone, etc. it's up to you to pay for that. So if I'm not making enough money to live on where would I keep my car? Plus, living at a Section 8 apartment presents another problem. If I get a job that pays over and above the minimum requirements they would kick me out. So Section 8 might not be the best way to go for me. I'm way too old to keep moving here and there and emothionally I can't handle it. If I go to the shelter close to where my son lives in another state I can keep my car in his garage. I might even be able to stay with him one day a week with his wife's permission. I'm looking at all my options including moving possibly to Arkansas where my friends brother lives. His wife is the manager of a store and said she could get me a job (very low paying.) The question is do I want to make a 3rd move in just a few short months? Can I afford to start all over again at my age and do I even want to keep on living? Do you know that the "3" largest causes of stress that can take some years off of a person's life is death of a loved one (I went to 6 funerals for loved ones by the time I was 17 and that included my parents,) moving and divorce. I've suffered more than the normal stress during my lifetime. I'd love to write the story of my life, but that takes money. My friends were the ones who gave me the idea to write a book about my experiences. They grewup in my neighborhood and we have been friends ever since. They believe my story is worth telling. Mine is similiar to the book titled "IT", but my problems esclated after my parents early death. The book "IT" became very popular. It was a very sad story about the struggles and torment he had to endure by his mother. A real tear jerker! Maybe someday when I'm back on my feet I'll write this book. Sorry if I got off on the beaten track, I'm not focusing very well today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mia78 View Post
I'm not sure I'm understanding you, you're upset about moving somewhere with people who are on section 8, but you're considering moving to a shelter somewhere up north? This is something you wouldn't consider even temporarily? At least with the people on section 8, they are very strictly screened. It may not seem like that, but if anyone is arrested or has a record, they will either not get the voucher or if they are already on the program, they lose it immediately even BEFORE a conviction is made. I'm not so sure a shelter could provide that type of screening, but I could be wrong.

Another thing I don't understand is why 'give up the car' is mentioned along with seeking help from social services. Maybe it's just the way you typed it. I also agree that holding on to a vehicle is a top priority, but I don't see how that is what it's coming to if you have to move into some type of affordable housing situation. Please explain.

One more thing that hasn't been mentioned is that you can look into staying at some type of extended stay hotel like Extended Stay Hotels, Crossland, or Homestead. I have a friend who has had to go that route more than once with her relocation to NC and she has four children with her. I don't think you need any proof of employment. You can pay weekly rates.

Old 10-29-2008, 12:25 PM

7,146 posts, read 4,740,951 times
Sorry to hear what you're going through.

I just checked out Craigslist in our area curious to see if there were things that might help you out, and there were lots of customer service jobs there. No standing all day, and a minimal amount of computer skills required. Also, I know that Time Warner Cable is looking for customer service reps. Last time I waited for 15 minutes to get through and complained, the rep told me they were hiring more reps. Maybe you can help boost their customer satisfaction ratings if they hire you!

Check out Craigslist, there's lots of job openings posted there.

Best wishes,
~toodie

Old 10-29-2008, 12:51 PM

Default Craigslist

Thank you for your suggestions. I've tried Craigslist, but no one ever got back to me and at the time I had sent out over 70 resumes with cover letters. I think they believe with my insurance experience I'm over qualified for these positions. I did try down playing my resume, but you can only do so much of that. PLUS, all of them want someone with call center experience which I do not have. I'm more than willing to take one of these jobs. Lots of scams on Craigslist and others have said the same thing. People have actually voiced their opinion on Craigsllist now and then about the jobs they apply for only to find out they are scams or work-at-home jobs that I tired and never got paid for. Some of these people who voice their opinion on Craigslist let you know of there experience and warn others. Jobs are also listed on Craigslist by employment agencies that do NOT even exist. They try to disgise their email address. I found out that if you see one that has "gmail" in the address don't even bother. You apply for one of these low paying jobs then in about 2 minutes you receive something like Snag A Job or Veritude and the job that was just posted on Craigslist doesn't even show on what they emailed to you. And all of the other similiar jobs say "No longer available." I use every other resources available to me including the newspapers. Once in a while I do scan through Craigslist, but I seldom see anything that mentions the experience I have, or even don't have but could very easily do. Some of these jobs like call centers anybody could do so why you need experience is beyond me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toodie View Post

I just checked out Craigslist in our area curious to see if there were things that might help you out, and there were lots of customer service jobs there. No standing all day, and a minimal amount of computer skills required. Also, I know that Time Warner Cable is looking for customer service reps. Last time I waited for 15 minutes to get through and complained, the rep told me they were hiring more reps. Maybe you can help boost their customer satisfaction ratings if they hire you!

Best wishes,
~toodie

Old 10-29-2008, 12:53 PM

Default Twc

Toodie, I am going to give time Warner a call right now. Thank you for the information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toodie View Post

Best wishes,
~toodie

Old 10-29-2008, 01:56 PM

862 posts, read 3,549,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Lover View Post
When I called about the Section 8 apartments they said I would need money if I wanted to keep my car. I need to put gas in it, pay the registration and insurance. They so not help with that. Just just put a roof over your head. If you want TV, phone, etc. it's up to you to pay for that. So if I'm not making enough money to live on where would I keep my car? Plus, living at a Section 8 apartment presents another problem. If I get a job that pays over and above the minimum requirements they would kick me out. So Section 8 might not be the best way to go for me.
Sorry if I'm beating a dead horse, but in what way are the section 8 people are telling you to give up your car regardless of your ability to pay for it at the current time. Their job is housing and housing only. It is your decision to keep your car or not, right? Of course they don't help you keep your car and they don't count your car maintenance fees of gas, insurance when you apply for any social services. No social services agency anywhere does this unless you're talking about a welfare check. Another thing is I don't think you're talking about section 8 because section 8 is a voucher program you can use for a private owner or apartment complex. You have to be on a waiting list for it. You don't just go in to an office one day and they hand over the voucher. Maybe you're talking about public housing which is a completely different program within the housing authority.

As for "So if I'm not making enough money to live on where would I keep my car?", Is there some sort of restriction on keeping a car in this 'section 8 housing'? If so, you haven't made us aware. This is a strange question to ask. Does your car need some special facility? I think most apartment complexes/buildings have parking lots.

Also, of course they would make you leave if you got a better job above the limit. If you can afford better than that, I would move in a heartbeat. No one would have to make me leave. The point for the housing is for people with low incomes, not for people with well paying jobs who want to stay somewhere just so they don't have to move no matter what their age is. I'm sure there is some sort of protocol for allowing you time to seek out a new residence and you won't be suddenly evicted.

As for CL, scams there are the nature on the beast, but it never stopped me from checking it several times a day. If it's a scam, IGNORE it. At least you can recognize it which is more to say than some folks. If a scammer was calling you to get your their credit card number, you'd hang up the phone, right? Same as online, hit delete and keep on steppin'. There are many legit employers that use CL. There are also legit work at home jobs on CL (nationwide) too. I dabble in freelance writing and know this for a fact.

Old 10-29-2008, 02:18 PM

I just know what they told me. Of course I know I'm not going to recieve any money to keep my car and did nto have tell me that. They will just put a roof over my head. No job no food since I can't walk any distance. And the more I think about it I'd probably never make over the limit if I decide to stay in Raleigh. They told me it was Section 8 and I would have to move to a Section 8 apt building. I'm not aware of any vouchers since they did not mention that. They did tell me there was a short waiting list. I wish I could stay in my own apartment and not have to move again. I admit they were trying to be as vague as possible and very nice to talk to. Maybe it was to discourage me. Sure I could keep my car there, but I can't help but wonder if it would okay to do that. If I can't afford to get it registered when the time comes will I get a ticket parked in a parking lot or will the police tow it away. Where I come from you CANNOT keep a car parked in a lot of any kind unless it is insured and registered. I'd love to find a legit work at home job. My one experience was not good. How can you determine if they are going to pay you for looking at emails, etc. I'm not a freelance writer so maybe they are available to you, but I've been told to be very careful and they were right. I don't know why I'm even worried about it. I guess we all try to do our best to survive, but my days are numbered anyway. I need medication that I can't afford. All I can say is that I made a HUGE mistake leaving my good job (making a big salary, and health benefits in order to be within driving distance of my family and grand kids. I left just before things started getting bad around the country. I have only myself to blame for my circumstances.

Old 10-29-2008, 02:34 PM

Default Staying at a hotel

Will you pay the weekly rates for me? No need to reply I already know the
answer. If I could afford the hotel rates I could surely afford to stay in my apartment since it's cheaper. I have a meeting with my minister and the asst manager where my last job just ended has a support group at her church for the unemployed and many of them on their way to eviction from their apartments. She said it's obvious some the older people are losing weight and need food to eat. There must be places for these people to go in Raleigh and get at least one decent meal a day??? Some of them she said are without vehicles and have to depend on others. I plan to make some sandwiches to pass out to those in more need than I'm in right now. I'm just hope I won't be one of those beggers soon. I could afford to lose a liitle bit of weight, but that's not a good way of doing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mia78 View Post

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary