Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 05:28 PM

86 posts, read 220,860 times

Advertisements

I am a performingarts-geared student at ECHHS and I have many friends at CHHS, so I can help you with the school issue:

Both schools have very strong programs. I think CHHS has a better website, but both schools' programs are great. I think East may have a slight edge (not to be biased) because of the strength of our Improv group. We have an Improv company called Randomax which is hugely popular at school (puts on shows in our Black Box theater every other Friday at lunch, and everyone rushes in to get a seat and it is CRAMMED full of people). I think CHHS has an improv group too, but I don't think it is as active or as well-regarded by local, professional improv groups like DSI (Dirty South Improv).
Besides the improv group, East puts on a play in the Fall (this year we performed "The Laramie Project", a controversial play about a young man who was brutally murdered because he was gay) and a musical in the Spring (in the past we have performed Guys and Dolls, The King and I, You Can't Take it With You, etc. and this year we will perform Once Upon a Mattress).
I believe Chapel Hill High also puts on a play in the Fall and a musical in the Spring, both of which are of similar quality to the shows at East.
I would argue that East's facilities are nicer just because it is a much newer building, so we have a very nice lighting and sound system.

I do not know the theater teacher at CHHS, but the theater teacher at East is FAMOUS around the school -- she is very energetic and kind of crazy, but everyone loves her. She is a lot of fun to be around and loves her students.

Really, the schools are more identical than either of their students would like to admit -- she'll find lots of opportunities at either school. The one school I would avoid in terms of performing arts is Carrboro High. It's brand new and does not yet have an auditorium, so the performing arts and kind of difficult.

I live in 27514, right near East, and it's perfectly safe (although I think in general, Chapel Hill is an extremely safe place to live). There are lots of houses here that are in your price range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2008, 06:16 AM

162 posts, read 734,939 times
Thank you so much for posting this info!!! I appreciate it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingpiggy View Post
I am a performingarts-geared student at ECHHS and I have many friends at CHHS, so I can help you with the school issue:

Both schools have very strong programs. I think CHHS has a better website, but both schools' programs are great. I think East may have a slight edge (not to be biased) because of the strength of our Improv group. We have an Improv company called Randomax which is hugely popular at school (puts on shows in our Black Box theater every other Friday at lunch, and everyone rushes in to get a seat and it is CRAMMED full of people). I think CHHS has an improv group too, but I don't think it is as active or as well-regarded by local, professional improv groups like DSI (Dirty South Improv).
Besides the improv group, East puts on a play in the Fall (this year we performed "The Laramie Project", a controversial play about a young man who was brutally murdered because he was gay) and a musical in the Spring (in the past we have performed Guys and Dolls, The King and I, You Can't Take it With You, etc. and this year we will perform Once Upon a Mattress).
I believe Chapel Hill High also puts on a play in the Fall and a musical in the Spring, both of which are of similar quality to the shows at East.
I would argue that East's facilities are nicer just because it is a much newer building, so we have a very nice lighting and sound system.

I do not know the theater teacher at CHHS, but the theater teacher at East is FAMOUS around the school -- she is very energetic and kind of crazy, but everyone loves her. She is a lot of fun to be around and loves her students.

Really, the schools are more identical than either of their students would like to admit -- she'll find lots of opportunities at either school. The one school I would avoid in terms of performing arts is Carrboro High. It's brand new and does not yet have an auditorium, so the performing arts and kind of difficult.

I live in 27514, right near East, and it's perfectly safe (although I think in general, Chapel Hill is an extremely safe place to live). There are lots of houses here that are in your price range.

Old 11-24-2008, 09:42 AM

1,246 posts, read 4,386,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingpiggy View Post

Both schools have very strong programs. I think CHHS has a better website, but both schools' programs are great.
According to Mr Thaden (ECHHS principal) they are working on improving the East website so ours might be as good as the CHHS site soon.

Old 11-24-2008, 11:42 AM

823 posts, read 3,923,331 times
You will often find cheaper (older) houses very close to more expensive ones in Chapel Hill. For instance, our little 1116 sq ft home that we sold for <$200,000 was three houses away from a subdivision of larger, newer $450,000+ homes.

Old 11-24-2008, 06:19 PM

86 posts, read 220,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdatlas View Post
According to Mr Thaden (ECHHS principal) they are working on improving the East website so ours might be as good as the CHHS site soon.
Oh really? Awesome. Because it looks like crap right now. Like even worse than it usually does. Don't be dissuaded, people!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary