Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2007, 07:41 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,604,601 times

Advertisements

My mother-in-law is coming to visit in a few weeks. She's a vegetarian, so we'd like to find a few vegetarian restaurants to take her to during her stay. We live in the Morrisville area, but will have the time to travel farther away. I'm sure that we can find vegetarian entrees at any restaurant, but we'd like to find a place that actually specializes in vegetarian food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2007, 01:10 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,035,513 times
Irregardless Cafe in downtown raleigh used to be basically only vegetarian, but they have branched out a little now. They still have a great vegetarian selection and it very good.

Anotherthyme in durham has a great vegetarian selection as well.

Zest Cafe on six forks is also vegetarian and suppse to be good

The spotted dog in carrboro and weaver street have good vegetarian selections

My sister is also vegetarian and it is hard to find a huge selection of veggie places in the area...........these are all good choices though!

Leigh

Old 02-24-2007, 02:37 PM

I was just on Irregardless Cafe's website a moment ago. Supposedly they were voted best vegetarian restaurant in a survey by Independent Weekly. We're going to try it out tonight for dinner to make sure it's good. Thanks for the other recommendations.

Old 02-24-2007, 02:39 PM

1,531 posts, read 7,408,757 times
All the above reccomendations are great.
Most Italian restaurants will have a good number of meatless pasta dishes. And Asian & Indian food is always a good place to look as well.
I'm mostly vegetarian (although I eat seafood still) and usually find that most good restaurants (independent, locally-owned that is...never chains) around Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill/Carrboro will have at least one or two really good meatless entree's, if not more.

The website for the Triangle Vegetarian Society (tranglevegsociety.org) has some restaurant reviews...although I don't think they're cover everything in the area.

Old 02-24-2007, 04:10 PM

250 posts, read 1,246,057 times
If she likes Indian food, Tower Restaurant on Carpenter Morrisville Road (near the first station) serves only vegetarian dishes.

Old 02-24-2007, 06:25 PM

823 posts, read 3,923,331 times
If you want to try something exotic, The Blue Nile in Durham has a varied Ethiopian menu and the food is quite tasty.

I'm a bit supprised that Irregardless is still around after all these years. My boyfriend cooked there in the early 1980's. It seems like it has gotten more fancy since then. Before that, he cooked at Pyewacket in Chapel Hill in 1980. The couple that owned it split and the woman, Mary opened Somethyme. Later, I believe that she opened Anotherthyme, also in Durham.

Weaver St. has a lot of prepared vegetarian food and a cafe. They also opened a restaurant, Panzanella, next door, which features local produce and is supposed to be quite good.

There is a very good restaurant associated with A Southern Season. It has some vegetarian dishes.

Old 02-24-2007, 07:10 PM

Well, we tried Irregardless Cafe tonight, and I'll have to admit that I was a little surprised. First of all, it was packed. We were told that if we didn't have a reservation that we may not get a table. Luckily they found a table for us. . . .right next to the fish tank. . . .my son loved it. Second, for a place that was voted "Best Vegetarian", I would have expected more vegetarian entrees. Out of 18 entrees, only 4 were vegan. Half of the remaining 14 were seafood, and the other half were beef and chicken. And lastly, I was surprised that most of the patrons were in the Buick and Oldsmobile demographic. I'm in my 40's and I felt like a spring chicken there. All in all though, the food was good and the service was good, but we won't be going back with my mother-in-law.

To RaleighBob. . .. .I found the Triangle Vegetarian Society's website earlier today and got 1 or 2 other ideas from that. I think that we will be trying a place called "Blue Moon" something-or-other in Cary tomorrow for lunch.

I would love to go to an Indian restaurant because they always have plenty of vegetarian selections, but my wife hates Indian food. Too many spices for her.

Old 02-25-2007, 02:02 PM

1,531 posts, read 7,408,757 times
^ For one, yeah..just about any good sit-down restaurant in the Triangle these days needs a reservation...especially on a Friday or Saturday night.
Also, I too have noticed that Irregardless's options for meatless entrees has decreased a tad out of the total number on the menu. (Since I also eat seafood, perhaps I've not been impacted as much.) However, I think they mostly didn't "reduce the veggie options" so much as they just "increased the meat options" instead. Four vegan entrees is still pretty good for the south (except for ethnic restaurants), you have to admit. Also, appetizers, soups, salads...it helps the number too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary