Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 10:03 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,515,251 times

Advertisements

Oh heaven forbid they actually do that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2008, 10:03 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Hey, guess what people. Though the Christmas tree is associated with Christmas, it is not a religious symbol. It's origins are pagan. They just have an axe to grind against Christians in general. Bet they wouldn't have a problem if it were a Wiccan symbol.
Did they replace the Christmas tree with a wiccan display? Your tax payer dollars are going to support the school not holiday displays, consider it a penny saved. WHy is this an issue here when several other NC university school libraries interviewed don't display a Christmas tree either (even Duke, which is not a public school?)?

Old 12-05-2008, 10:04 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,584,448 times
Secularism...in Chapel Hill. REALLY?!?!

Old 12-05-2008, 10:05 PM

447 posts, read 1,717,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Christmas traditions, Christmas tree history
The origin of the Christmas tree goes back thousands of years in celebration of the winter solstice. There was no Christian crosses nor statues of Mary and Jesus. Those are religious symbols. A Menorah and Crescent are religious symbols. If an evergreen tree is a religious symbol, it's to pagans so get over yourself.
I am not sure who this is directed at. But I will respond.

The Christmas Tree is a Christian symbol. The origin of the tree is not, nor is the origin of Christmas. If you add "Christmas" to anything it becomes Christian, there is no way around that. Modern context trump the origins.

Personally I could care less about Christmas trees, some are great, some are tacky. In this case a public place that is state run had a Christmas Tree display that people complained about and the leader of that place said "Let's not put it up this year." If the next person that gets to make that decision says "Let's put up a tree." They will do that.

I saw the story on the news tonight and it appears other departments on campus have Christmas Trees and decorations up. So I guess they really are just responding to complaints about those displays and not making a blanket decree.

Old 12-05-2008, 10:28 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
Oh, and I almost forgot to ask...but what the ROTC and Jamacia have to do with anything?

Old 12-06-2008, 05:32 AM

106 posts, read 344,016 times
Give Chancellor Thorp a call over the weekend or on Monday at his office number: (919) 962-1365
Send him an e-mail at: chancellor@unc.edu

We need to urge Chancellor Thorp to take a stand for 88% of Americans (including his own faculty, staff and students) who celebrate Christmas!

All men will hate you because of me, but he who stands firm will be saved. Matthew 10:22

Old 12-06-2008, 05:46 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,723,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckreis View Post
Personally I could care less about Christmas trees, some are great, some are tacky...
If you could not care less, then you really do not care, but if you "could care less" that means you care about it more than other things and it is an issue with you.

Sorry Christmas trees are an issue. I think that those that complain ought to have their name, address, and phone number attached to their complaint, and posted in public, so I have a right to complain about their moronic life.

By the way M E R R Y C H R I S T M A S

lln

Old 12-06-2008, 07:21 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
People, people, people! What's the big deal? So, the library doesn't put up a tree just like the other university libraries. It's not like the university and the state are taking all Christian material off the shelves of the library. Nobody is a victim here. And, to those of you who think that you should have your way all the time because you are in the 88% majority, well...that seem very un-American to me. If we believe that "...all men are created equal", we should begin to act like it. Hmm...maybe I hit on something here. Perhaps we don't believe that all men are created equal?
On a separate note, it's ironic to me that conservatives complain about wasting tax payer dollars yet it's probably going to be these same people who will now complain that the university isn't going to spend tax payers' money to put up a Christmas Tree in the worst recession in many of our lifetimes.

Old 12-06-2008, 08:19 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,517,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966 View Post
Give Chancellor Thorp a call over the weekend or on Monday at his office number: (919) 962-1365
Send him an e-mail at: chancellor@unc.edu

We need to urge Chancellor Thorp to take a stand for 88% of Americans (including his own faculty, staff and students) who celebrate Christmas!

All men will hate you because of me, but he who stands firm will be saved. Matthew 10:22
Talk about a waste of time.......

Old 12-06-2008, 08:33 AM

675 posts, read 1,832,554 times
I'd be curious to know where in the scriptures it tells us anything about displaying large coniferous trees, or anything at all about commemorating Christ's birth, being necessary to the practice of Christianity.

I don't really care about Xmas trees in public places, but I'm curious why so many are? There have to be literally thousands of other things not mentioned in the bible we can do instead.

This may be a slam against tradition. Don't act like it's a slam against religion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary