Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 11:33 AM

311 posts, read 887,508 times

Advertisements

I attempted to edit my first response and apparently I did not do it correctly.

Edited to answer both questions -

1. We bought our weather radio from Northern Tool. We rarely keep it plugged in as we are attuned to the weather (we watch the news/weather channel daily). We know when we need to be on higher alert for severe weather. We also have a battery powered radio that picks up TV bands and the NOAA weather.

2. Preparation! Here are some tornado safety tips from NOAA:
Tornado Safety (Online Tornado FAQ) Getting out in the storm is never a good idea unless it is your only option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2008, 11:36 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
There isn't much you can do except run for a downstairs closet or bathroom. It's a good idea to have a weather radio and flashlight stored in whichever room you would head to if the above situation were to happen. The key is to have a plan ahead of time, have a few things stored there and make sure your family knows the plan (same a fire plan). You particularly want some sort of radio so you know when the threat passes and a flashlight in the case the power is out.

And, I have to say that I was once driving directly into the path of a tornado (unknowingly at first, but then I had no choice but to keep driving) and it was one of the scariest things I've ever seen. I don't know how anyone would want to get into a car and knowingly go out in that type of event!

Old 12-10-2008, 11:39 AM

1,788 posts, read 3,919,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules_NC View Post
First, we check the radar to see if we're in the path of the storm. If that isn't possible we go immediately downstairs to the center room of our house, the 1/2 bath. Thankfully, we've never had to do this, but we have often gotten up to check the radar (as Wake County is large and a general tornado warning for the county may mean the storm path is no where near our home).
I'm not equiped with a radar system..yet anyhow , so where do you check the radar? Online? channel 14? Channel 14 does a great job, but if the power goes out, then what?

I don't like to "center of house" routine. Sure, it might be the safest bet, but if a powerful one hits, it won't matter. We don't have basements here, so they tell us to do this as the next best thing, but if you get hit directly, in a 2X4 stick built home, your toast.

Old 12-10-2008, 11:51 AM

1,105 posts, read 2,732,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCowboy View Post
I don't like to "center of house" routine. Sure, it might be the safest bet, but if a powerful one hits, it won't matter
That's somewhat like saying you don't like wearing seatbelts because it might be the safest bet, but if a semi hits you it won't matter. The point is to improve your chances as much as possible, with full knowledge that it won't save you in every situation.

Old 12-10-2008, 12:13 PM

1,788 posts, read 3,919,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff2v View Post
That's somewhat like saying you don't like wearing seatbelts because it might be the safest bet, but if a semi hits you it won't matter. The point is to improve your chances as much as possible, with full knowledge that it won't save you in every situation.
Exactly my point. Is this indeed the best thing you can do to improve your chances? Think about it. You get a tornado warning in your immediate area. You climb into a bathroom, in a stick built 2X4 home. Or, you get into your vehicle where you can be out in the open and see it coming and avoid it. Most tornadoes here are quite narrow. You see a funnel cloud coming down, your drive the opposite direction.

Old 12-10-2008, 12:34 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,947,116 times
High winds a threat Wednesday afternoon, evening :: WRAL.com

Old 12-10-2008, 12:50 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
The thing with driving is that even if the tornado is not directly on top of you and you are going the other way, there is debris and crap flying everywhere, the tornados can "jump" and change directions whereas your car cannot, there are still usually very high winds, trees snapping, branches flying, heavy hail. Also, if it's at night in the dark, you're not going to be able to see it or tell which direction it is going...it's just not a good idea to be in a car.

Old 12-10-2008, 01:03 PM

Quote:
I'm not equiped with a radar system..yet anyhow , so where do you check the radar? Online? channel 14? Channel 14 does a great job, but if the power goes out, then what?
During severe weather WRAL and WTVD almost always have live updates (no matter the time day/night) - if the weather is that bad, they'll be on. If you don't have power you use a radio with a TV tuner. If you have digital cable, both have "weather stations" that loop the radar most any time of day. We also jump online (when convenient) and look at weatherunderground.com

You can sign up for severe weather alerts from WRAL - they will call your phone if a storm is imminent in your area: Sign up for WRAL WeatherCall :: WRAL.com

Old 12-10-2008, 01:04 PM

675 posts, read 1,832,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
Also, if it's at night in the dark, you're not going to be able to see it or tell which direction it is going...it's just not a good idea to be in a car.
Excellent point. That kind of makes the "3am what do you do" question moot... If you go outside you won't be able to see jack squat anyway. If it happens and we're in the path, we'll just get the dog and huddle in the downstairs bathroom.

If you're so unlucky to be directly in the path of a strong tornado at night? Well, some would say a higher power decided it was your time to go. My only hope would that it be quick.

Old 12-10-2008, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Most tornadoes here are quite narrow. You see a funnel cloud coming down, your drive the opposite direction.
Around here tornado are usually in severe thunderstorms (larger). They are rain wrapped and not visible. It's dangerous to be out on the road with driving rain, winds and possible flash flooding. This area of NC isn't like the open plains of Kansas where you can see for miles. They caution drivers on the roads in severe thunderstorms due to high winds, frequent lightning, hail and heavy downpours. Your car offers little protection if you are in the path of straight line winds and falling trees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary