Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 08:31 PM

242 posts, read 1,213,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
We used to have a water heater that had trouble keeping warm through a shower, etc. Ours was electric, but I doubt it makes much difference. There are different types of water heaters. When this water heater broke, my husband talked to the plumber about the replacement. We now have a water heater that heats continually. You could probably take a shower for an hour and the water would still be at least luke warm. I remember when the hot stopped and the cold began in the middle of washing my hair. We don't have that anymore and I am sometimes washing dishes and clothes at the same time I am showering. Sorry, I don't know what kind it is, but discuss it with your plumber and maybe you might want to change water heaters.
I suspect you got a tankless on-demand water heater. I plan on replacing our 47 gallon electric with one, hopefully soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2008, 05:43 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,167,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stantheman78 View Post
You must have a single hand shower faucet. These things are a pain to adjust. Moen brands are famous for this. Take the handle cover off and you can adjust how much hot or cold water will flow. I wouldn't even both just call your builder and have them take care of it.
Our super had to tinker with the Moen shower valve in our apt too when we first moved in. The valve has a switch telling it which pipe is hot and which is cold. It was set backwards.

Old 12-21-2008, 10:29 AM

835 posts, read 2,878,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Our super had to tinker with the Moen shower valve in our apt too when we first moved in. The valve has a switch telling it which pipe is hot and which is cold. It was set backwards.
That's exactly what he fixed on Friday, but it has not helped with how long the water stays hot. Again, second bathroom water stays hot so seems to not be the hot water heater.

Old 12-21-2008, 01:18 PM

1,429 posts, read 4,283,569 times
Could it be the distance from the hot water heater to the bath? In my home, the master bath is the furthest from the hot water heater; thus it takes longer for the water to become hot and by the time we get in and soaped up good, the hot water wanes.

One thing with electric hot water heaters and new homes.... our builder said for us to make absolutely sure we let the tank fill up completely before we put the hot water breaker on. You can burn out the element if you run it without enough water in the tank. This is only for when the tank is empty.... for example the first time you turn the water on, or if the power goes out and you use water (think ice storms or hurricanes). We are on a well, so this may not apply to gas on a city water system... just putting this info out there for others.

Old 03-23-2009, 08:52 PM

This issue is still ongoing. Plumber's theory was because hot water tank was in attic, it was too cold and taking too long to heat. Builder erected a closet to enclose hot water tank. With the warm temps outside and with the temperature having to be in the 80s in the attic today and hotter still in this new hot water tank closet, I still ran out of hot water today. In fact, it was barely hot to begin with. I also am finding that the problem is with every water source, not just the master bath, as previously posted. The kids were telling me theirs was fine, but when I've checked, it's barely warm at every tap. I am tired of running out of hot water, and I am running out of patience with the builder and the plumber. Any recommendations?

Old 03-24-2009, 06:23 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,942,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinalkulp View Post
I am tired of running out of hot water, and I am running out of patience with the builder and the plumber. Any recommendations?
Get someone to look at it who does not have an incentive to avoid any significant costs to repair or replace.

Old 03-24-2009, 08:46 AM

3,950 posts, read 5,091,305 times
Default Escalate

You should also try to get the issue resolved before your builder finishes your development and moves on. I doubt it would take a qualified plumber long to get to the root of the problem.

My hot water heater is in my crawl space which gets quite cold during the winter and I’ve had no problems with having enough hot water. Originally I thought I might have to wrap it with a thermal blanket but it just hasn’t gotten cold enough to go to that extreme.

Old 03-24-2009, 11:17 AM

569 posts, read 1,978,478 times
Have you checked to make sure the input and output pipes are not swapped. Because hot water rises, the hot water output comes from the top. The cold water input usually also comes in the top, but there is a tube inside(called the dip tube) that directs the cold water to the bottom of the tank. If the connections are reversed, the cold water will come in the top and then sink to the bottom where it will go out thru the dip tube to the hot water pipe. If the hot and cold pipes are connected correctly, it is possible that the dip tube has broken off or come loose inside. In that case the cold water would come in the top and mix with the hot and be sent out the hot water outlet.
http://www.masterplumber.net/electricwh/dip_tube.htm

Last edited by jeffs555; 03-24-2009 at 11:28 AM..

Old 03-24-2009, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffs555 View Post
Have you checked to make sure the input and output pipes are not swapped. Because hot water rises, the hot water output comes from the top. The cold water input usually also comes in the top, but there is a tube inside(called the dip tube) that directs the cold water to the bottom of the tank. If the connections are reversed, the cold water will come in the top and then sink to the bottom where it will go out thru the dip tube to the hot water pipe. If the hot and cold pipes are connected correctly, it is possible that the dip tube has broken off or come loose inside. In that case the cold water would come in the top and mix with the hot and be sent out the hot water outlet.
How a water heater dip tube works and what it looks like.
After all the things the experts/professionals supposedly checked, lets hope they would have checked that. I will bring it up when they come out for yet another time on Thursday. Thanks for that suggestion.

Old 04-21-2009, 09:29 PM

Default Finally!

After 8 long months, our hot water heater issue is finally resolved! They replaced the tank, and now it's working GREAT! Only wish it hadn't taken this long and cost us in water and energy usage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary