Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 09:25 AM

431 posts, read 1,338,296 times

Advertisements

Hope everyone had a great day yesterday....

I always love hearing the great and intersting/unique gifts that others got so I thought I'd start a thread for all to share.....

This christmas was a little different for my husband and I since we'll be moving in the next few weeks to Clayton......With that said it really wasnt a matter of a wish list rather than a need list......Like.....

I got an emerald green washer and dryer along with the pedestals....and my husband got a sideby side w/double freezer draws refrig and together we got a 42" flat screen tv...
Practicle and necessary gifts..........and for the new year and brand new home.....

The best gifts of all were watching my boys faces all excited about their gifts......thats whats the most important......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2008, 10:14 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,602,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimnSue View Post
With that said it really wasnt a matter of a wish list rather than a need list......Like.....

I got an emerald green washer and dryer along with the pedestals....and my husband got a sideby side w/double freezer draws refrig and together we got a 42" flat screen tv...
Practicle and necessary gifts
Wow. If that's your "need" list of "practical and necessary" gifts, I'd like to see your "impractical" list.

I'm unemployed this Christmas, so my wife and I did not exchange gifts. Santa brought my son 2 toy cars and a book.

Old 12-26-2008, 10:35 AM

431 posts, read 1,338,296 times
Practical in the sence I have no washer and dryer or refrig in the house.....so yes i need them...did I need the colored ones....no but that was the gift.....

I would never have the $ to buy such things nevermind all at once, but have sold all my items here like my dr set, kit table,other furniture, tvs all my holiday decorations and more here in NY to pay towards those things.....

No other gifts were exchanged between us.....it was gifts for the home....things that we would all need and use.... as for the "impracticle list" I never have a list and or ask for anything......I dont feel that I need anything at this point in life I have my husband and boys and a roof over our heads so we're doing just fine.......this was the first year we have every splurged like this, but as I said these were things that I needed for the new house and I have sold many things in order for us to get those things....

I dont think the cost of a gift matters at all.....as I said in the end....the most important thing to us was the smiles on our boys faces as they opened up the gifts period....my 5 year old is thrilled to receive a box of crayons/markers and a coloring book...as that is his favorite thing in the world.....he loves to draw....

Sorry about your financial/job situation right now....I totally understand how hard it can be.....
Hopefully the new year will be a good one and you'll find the job your're looking for....

Old 12-26-2008, 01:39 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,165,555 times
We shared a 32 Samsung from Amazon and regifted our 26 LCD Samsung to our adult daighter.

I got 2 pair of Land's End jeans and a leather checkbook cover.

Wife got a few jewelry items from Treasure Isle jewelers, a great place to get jewelry and eyeglass frames repaired.

Old 12-26-2008, 06:23 PM

542 posts, read 1,524,748 times
I got a coat saved from the lost and found of a local restaurant, some cheap stocking stuffers, and it just happened to be one of the best Christmas's ever. No need for all the commercial BS, all that matters is spending time with family and friends.

Old 12-26-2008, 06:31 PM
TSN

22 posts, read 51,302 times
A pair of dangly earrings from my bestfriend who purchased them in her recent travels to New Zealand. A painting from my boss. A handmade quilt from my grandmother. And a jeweled business card holder & a book called: GREEN GUIDE - The Complete Reference for Consuming Wisely from my mother and sister.

Old 12-26-2008, 06:40 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,962,783 times
I'll be honest here. I'd enjoy the holiday's alot more if people started asking about what other people GAVE for christmas, instead of what they GOT. I took my three year old to the toy store in Carrboro, and had him pick out 5 gifts to put in the needy childrens box, but damned if that message didn't get washed out by every person he saw asking him what he got from Santa today.

Call me bah humbug scrooge for the opinion, but wasn't that the moral of that story was as well?

Sorry if I spoiled your thread.

Old 12-26-2008, 06:48 PM
TSN

22 posts, read 51,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toot68 View Post
I'll be honest here. I'd enjoy the holiday's alot more if people started asking about what other people GAVE for christmas, instead of what they GOT. I took my three year old to the toy store in Carrboro, and had him pick out 5 gifts to put in the needy childrens box, but damned if that message didn't get washed out by every person he saw asking him what he got from Santa today.

BRAVO!

I gave my mother & sister each a photo book from Kodak.com of our photos (with some of my all-time favorite quotes) from 2008. The cover was a photo my sister took of my mom and I walking away from the camera. I gave my bestfriend fuzzy socks & foot scrub + lotion for her tired NYC feet. My grandmother a card and a photo to put up on her wall at the nursing home, and a big THANK YOU to my boss for my job!

Old 12-28-2008, 05:24 AM

299 posts, read 635,307 times
I love giving gifts to the people I care about although the gifts I receive that are most appreciated are the ones where the giver has put some thought into it, they are usually treasured most! I gave my grandson his first "big boy" bike w/o training wheels (he was riding it up and down the sidewalk within an hour all by himself ) my oldest son and daughter-in-law received a 40" LCD TV since their 20 year old TV went kaput last week, it's a combination Christmas & anniversary gift but I did splurge a bit for them this year, my younger son received a leather jacket that he'd been wanting and a Blu-Ray player that he never expected, and for my Mom, a round trip ticket to PA to visit her friends and a few gift cards to use while she's there!

I had told my family that I didn't need or want anything this year because I feel so very fortunate to have what we do, a new home that's paid for and filled with lovely new furniture mixed with some well loved accumulated pieces from the last two homes, food in my cabinets and refrigerator, and enough money to pay my bills every month and put a little bit aside for the future, and last but not least, a healthy family who mean the world to me. I did receive some wonderful gifts that I didn't expect, a portrait of my sons together, another of my oldest son with his family, and one of my Mother, who despite her age of 85 can still run circles around me, her 47 year old daughter! Yankee Candles, great books and gift cards for book stores and pajamas and slippers that I really did actually need were just a sign that my family knows me so very well.

The best part of the holiday was Midnight Mass at Sacred Heart Cathedral with the entire family and seeing our Bishop, who I went to high school with many years ago. I feel truly blessed to be as fortunate as we are and my New Year's resolution is to find a way to give back in some meaningful way.

Happy and healthy New Year to everyone here at CD!

Old 12-28-2008, 05:31 AM

535 posts, read 1,741,990 times
Hookers and blow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary