Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 01:37 PM

1,032 posts, read 3,437,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Yes, food borne illness brings to mind a joke once told me by a very salty Australian bloke I worked with at Exxon-Mobil in Los Angeles over 30 years ago:

What is a surprise. he asked? A fart with a lump in the middle (LOL).
Am I the only one who doesn't like to get refills? The server has a pitcher of tea, coke, w/e.. gives you a refill and the pitcher touches my used glass - or even worse my straw? I like places that will bring a fresh drink for a refill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2009, 03:51 PM
.-.

157 posts, read 371,023 times
I'm not against sanitation grades. However, I can't help but think about our many generations of ancestors ago. Don't think they ever walked out of a tavern cause a low sanitation score or even because they tripped over a few rats on the way in. I can't eat Joe's wild boars cause he has never sanitized his spear since his first kill.
Makes me think sometime in the future we'll all be walking around in sealed plastic suits, air filtration systems and built in food radiation modules.

Old 01-04-2009, 06:05 PM

3,501 posts, read 6,167,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvwakeforest View Post
Am I the only one who doesn't like to get refills? The server has a pitcher of tea, coke, w/e.. gives you a refill and the pitcher touches my used glass - or even worse my straw? I like places that will bring a fresh drink for a refill.
A decent server can pour from a pitcher without touching the glass. And most do. Where are you eating, that the servers lack such manual dexterity or depth perception?

Old 01-04-2009, 06:16 PM

185 posts, read 575,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .-. View Post
I'm not against sanitation grades. However, I can't help but think about our many generations of ancestors ago. Don't think they ever walked out of a tavern cause a low sanitation score or even because they tripped over a few rats on the way in. I can't eat Joe's wild boars cause he has never sanitized his spear since his first kill.
Makes me think sometime in the future we'll all be walking around in sealed plastic suits, air filtration systems and built in food radiation modules.
When you had an average life expectancy of 45 in such times I suppose it was worth the risk?

Old 01-04-2009, 06:21 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,527,721 times
I must have a straw for drink glasses or cups

and the restaurant should never place silverware on the table

Old 01-04-2009, 06:47 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,604,601 times
Quote:
I'm with you pal. Some of these posts just crack me up.

I wonder if they gargle with Listerine after kissing their spouses, children, and family.

Old 01-04-2009, 07:28 PM

4,478 posts, read 11,621,918 times
Quote:
This has to be one of the silliest things I've read on this forum. Here's a good link about sanitation in colonial times - when they had a life expectancy of 25 years:

Health Problems in Colonial America: Diseases, Doctors, and Cures Explained

Sure, things were MUCH better back then.. and no one minded a little contaminated food or drink.. especially when you could DIE from it because there weren't any doctors!

Wanting to eat food that won't make you sick is a far cry from living in a plastic bubble!

Old 01-04-2009, 07:55 PM

2,135 posts, read 7,657,757 times
Found this: Boston eateries in line for health inspection scores to appear online | Nation's Restaurant News | Find Articles at BNET

Quote:
Several cities in California, Florida, Georgia, Iowa and North Carolina already post health inspection results on the Internet, and many more are considering it.

Old 01-04-2009, 08:39 PM

43,292 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Pittsburgh used to post letter grades, IIRC.

When we lived in NW PA, my brother was in the pool hall/hangout/snack shop and the health inspector was there, and a rat ran across the room, right out in the middle of the floor.
Inspector locked the place down. It never reopened. I don't know what became of the pool tables.

Before we quit going to Mama Wok in Cary, I noticed that they just couldn't get their score over 91, in 3 or 4 inspections.
Last trip in to pick up carry out, I went to the rest room, did an about face, paid for my food, and we NEVER went back.

I was in a Subway a few years ago, and thought the place looked a little questionable, but was halfway through my sandwich when that feller over in the corner stood up and posted a "90" inspection score.
Sorta took the taste off of lunch a little.

My younger brother-in-law flipped burgers at a famous arched place. They used to have contests to see how many they could get on the grille, flipping them over the shoulder.
They couldn't throw any away, since they had to be accounted for, and they couldn't justify the number that hit the floor.

10-11 years ago, a local beanery had to advertise for and try to hunt down customers after one of the staff came down with hepatitis (B?).
The shots were paid for, for those that they located.
I think it about put them out of business, but they are still there.

We went to the beach a few years ago, and EVERY restaurant we went into had a "B" in the 86-87 range.
Health inspector was in the zone...
The fish store with the "98" sold us a whole lot of steamed shrimp that vacation.

We went to a waffle joint and stepped over the big old garden hose that they had fed in through the front door.
They were hosing the crud off the floor and pushing it around with a broom. Awe-inspiring, indeed.
Server proudly told us, "We're having our annual inspection tomorrow, and we are going to ace it!" I wish I had gone back to check.
Wife said, "Why do we come to ****** *****?" I've never been able to answer, and it was about 3 years before we went into another one. (Good Bacon... )

I met my wife as we both sold popcorn in a 90 year old movie theater. Many years ago, I used to mop the kitchen floor in a truck stop.
Let your imagination run wild....

Anybody ever eat at the Varsity in Atlanta?

I used to work with a guy who would say, "You should eat a pound of dirt a year." He was ALWAYS sick.
I think I'm good to outlive ol' Methuselah. Trying not to build up too many more dirt reserves.

Old 01-04-2009, 08:46 PM

40 posts, read 86,676 times
We sat down at the table in two different places today and then decided to walk out, because they were not clean enough. We stayed and ate at the third place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary