Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 03:43 PM

99 posts, read 307,321 times

Advertisements

I moved here from Austin in November and have been looking for good Mexican food as well. I found this when I was poking around online...

NC Triangle - non-chain Mexican in Cary? - South - Chowhound
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2009, 05:04 PM

56 posts, read 185,717 times
I can concur with the hole in the wall places having good food. Being from Texas, that was where the good food was. But you didnt see any dogs around...LOL Just kidding. I realy havent seen any hole in the wall places since living in N.C. Still looking for THAT place to eat some good Mexican food. Los Tres Migues is o.k. I have thought about On The Border since it isnt too far from here, but it is a chain. Anybody know if it will be o.k. for a guy from Texas? We had Taco Cabana, another chain, back home. They were o.k. for a semi fast food mexican place.

Old 01-04-2009, 06:34 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,604,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by epattridge View Post
Los Tres Migues is o.k. I have thought about On The Border since it isnt too far from here, but it is a chain. Anybody know if it will be o.k. for a guy from Texas? We had Taco Cabana, another chain, back home. They were o.k. for a semi fast food mexican place.
Los Tres Magueyes? On The Border? Taco Cabana? And you call yourself a Texan?

Old 01-04-2009, 07:24 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,842,401 times
I do not have any SW mexican to compare it to, but La Rancherita in Holly Springs is pretty good stuff!

Old 01-05-2009, 03:21 AM

1,495 posts, read 3,721,522 times
Las Margaritas is good and I love Torrero's in Raleigh . .thee best chicken taquitos appetizers . .a huge plate that will feed multiple families with

Old 01-05-2009, 04:26 AM

451 posts, read 1,654,177 times
Based on a recommendation from here - I believe it was JimmyO and something about eating his hat - anyways, it's Blue Corn Cafe on 9th St. in Durham. Fantastic food and service. Not Mexican, really, but more of a Latin American influence.

I had liked Toreros on Kildaire in Cary, until the last, and I do mean LAST time I was there. Place should be shut down. Disgusting food.

But go to Blue Corn Cafe, you won't regret it, and JimmyO will eat his hat if you don't like it.

Old 01-05-2009, 06:16 AM

1,994 posts, read 5,963,324 times
Toodle around the Carpe Durham website, they've reviewed at least a dozen tacqueria's in Durham. We hit Super Tacqueria on Roxboro on their recommendation, and loved it.

People also rave about Fiesta Grill, which is on 54 4 miles west of Carrboro. We lived out that way and ate there all the time, great food but very limited seating.

Old 01-05-2009, 07:11 AM

1,032 posts, read 3,918,991 times
There's a place near me called "Mi Barrio". Just a really tiny place next to a gas station - total hole in the wall joint. Not too many gringos eat there - very authentic, and very good. One of the few places I've found that actually serves agua de horchata to drink. I've not tried it, but I hear they have stomach tacos! Now that's authentic!

The TV's are tuned to Mexican soap operas, and the staff speaks little english, but the menus are in english, so pointing works if all else fails.

The place looks rough, parking is usually tight, but I think it's totally worth it.

Old 01-05-2009, 07:13 AM

516 posts, read 1,888,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by epattridge View Post
I have thought about On The Border since it isnt too far from here, but it is a chain. Anybody know if it will be o.k. for a guy from Texas?
If you're ok with generic CA chain Mexican, then you're probably ok. I'm guessing they're the same here as they are in CA - all the other national chains I've visited have been.

Like I said - it's palatable. If you've had your fill of BAD Mexican, it can be a welcome break, but it's nothing special.

Old 01-05-2009, 12:37 PM

767 posts, read 1,848,415 times
I never liked On the Border...not in CA or here. I used to like El Torito (some of them) and Don Joses in CA...and they were chains. But worlds better than what we have here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary