Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2009, 11:59 AM

48 posts, read 130,912 times

Advertisements

We live in Morrisville area. My son will start going to elementary school from this September. I don't know much about the schooling system so I need help.
Can we choose which school my kid can go. Or he has to go the home school.
what should be the process? Should I start visiting a few school and can I fill the application for any school I like? what are the chances he will get admission in a school I like.
What are charter and megnet school? What charter and magnet schools are available for zip code 27560?

I think his home school is Ceder Fork.
How is this school? I heard they are not taking any more kids and moving new kids to carpenter elementary. Is that true? How is that school?
I was reading about one more school "Morrisville elementary school". How is that school?

Can anyone help please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 12:18 PM

2,697 posts, read 8,697,150 times
Use this link (put in your address) and it will tell you your base school and magnet/calendar options.

Determine School by Student Address

Assignments don't go by zip code (or even subdivision), they go strictly by address.

I've heard good things about Cedar Fork. At one point last spring they did say they were over capacity and any additional students that enrolled would not be assigned to Cedar Fork. I'm not sure what happend with that but I would hope they reassigned some nodes so the school is no longer over capacity.

Morrisville Elementary is a very good school too. We applied last year and didn't get in (we ended up moving so it didn't matter). I believe they only had space for about half the students that applied.

Anyway, I would enroll in your base elementary, attend meetings at your calendar/magnet options if you're interested and then apply to those schools and see what happens.

Old 01-07-2009, 12:23 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,940,073 times
Of course, if you live in Wake County, there's no guarantee that the school your kid goes to this year will be the school they go to next year.

Old 01-07-2009, 12:24 PM

2,697 posts, read 8,697,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Of course, if you live in Wake County, there's no guarantee that the school your kid goes to this year will be the school they go to next year.
There is a three year assignment plan which if approved will allow people to know what school their child will attend for the next three years.

Old 01-07-2009, 01:15 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,680,321 times
Hi jsuji, have you looked at NC School Report Cards (http://www.ncreportcard.com/src/ - broken link) ... take a look at each of the reports from the schools to compare.

Old 01-07-2009, 01:23 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,108,254 times
Cedar Fork is capped out this year and next, so I would double check your assignment for next year through WCPSS. Everyone has ONE school they are assigned to (called a base school). Registration is Feb 5th. There are other options (magnet and Year round versus traditional). Once your child is registered at their base on Feb 5th, the magnet aplications are available ONLINE only on Feb 9th.

Old 01-07-2009, 01:25 PM

488 posts, read 1,554,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sls76 View Post
There is a three year assignment plan which if approved will allow people to know what school their child will attend for the next three years.
Those assignments would not be set in stone though. As always they are subject to change.

Old 01-07-2009, 06:51 PM

140 posts, read 419,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsuji View Post
We live in Morrisville area. My son will start going to elementary school from this September. I don't know much about the schooling system so I need help.
Can we choose which school my kid can go. Or he has to go the home school.
what should be the process? Should I start visiting a few school and can I fill the application for any school I like? what are the chances he will get admission in a school I like.
What are charter and megnet school? What charter and magnet schools are available for zip code 27560?

I think his home school is Ceder Fork.
How is this school? I heard they are not taking any more kids and moving new kids to carpenter elementary. Is that true? How is that school?
I was reading about one more school "Morrisville elementary school". How is that school?

Can anyone help please.
"Cedar Forks" haha good luck. Reedy Creek is where you'll be going Carpenter YR is full, maybe will be different next year, its full now, so is green hope and morrisville..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary