Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2013, 02:02 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,771,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
To make you appreciate North Carolina's road-building accomplishments, just look at Georgia. They haven't built any new interstate highways since the 1960's
Well Georgia has by far the best portion of I-95 between NC and Florida ...... 3 or more lanes almost if not all the way. It wasn't initially built that way, they saw the need years ago and bit the bullet and did the work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2013, 05:12 PM

553 posts, read 1,272,460 times
Well, that explains why I call it "Crapital" Boulevard.

Old 12-26-2013, 08:02 AM

1,036 posts, read 1,953,774 times
Quote:
I respectfully disagree with this statement. In the last 20 years, NCDOT has built literally thousands of miles of new interstate-quality, divided highways. Not only do they have 80,000 miles of paved roads to maintain (2nd only to Texas), there aren't many other states that are actively constructing so many highways.
I agree that there are many great highways in other parts of the state. But in the case of Capital Boulevard, it's essentially the same as it was 14 years ago; the only thing that has changed is that some of the lights close to Raleigh have been synchronized. A good thing, but not nearly enough. Perhaps it's a matter of misplaced priorities; personally, I think the roads that carry the most traffic should get more attention than those out in the wide open spaces. Just my .02.

Old 12-26-2013, 08:57 AM

113 posts, read 181,006 times
Quote:
I respectfully disagree with this statement. In the last 20 years, NCDOT has built literally thousands of miles of new interstate-quality, divided highways. Not only do they have 80,000 miles of paved roads to maintain (2nd only to Texas), there aren't many other states that are actively constructing so many highways.
I'd have to agree with you. North Carolina has gone after the easier projects in rural and suburban areas around cities instead of tackling urban projects. Capital Blvd would top most people lists along with Independence Blvd in Charlotte. Upgrading Capital would provide better access to sites already used or ready for light industrial or commercial development. It would also would support the redevelopment of declining shopping centers south of 540 and support denser residential development without impacting single family neighborhoods. Focused land use along a well connected highway could also relieve pressure from Falls Lake, the Neuse River and a potential reservoir in the far North East parts of the county.

DOT can't keep ignoring this corridor. Raleigh/Wake will also have to get creative so as not to undermine current and past investment in specific districts and corridors.

Old 12-26-2013, 05:23 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,940,346 times
I think Capital Blvd moves a lot of cars every hour. Y'all do realize that cities like Los Angeles and Atlanta have dozens if not hundreds of horribly clogged arterial thoroughfares like Capital Blvd.

One idea might be the conversion of Capital to a superstreet by eliminating left turns a la emplementing "Jersey Jughandles" or "Michigan Lefts."

Route 9 in New Brunswick, NJ moves a heck of a lot of traffic by not allowing left turns.

And the person who mentioned I-95 through Georgia (a relatively small stretch), why not compare that to what North Carolina has done to I-85? It has been widened mostly to 8 lanes virtually from Virginia to South Carolina, over 225 miles. Remember that NCDOT has deliberately ignored I-95 (because it mostly serves out-of -staters) and has used NC residents' gas taxes on roads they actually use.

I agree NCDOT is stretched very thin, but they have an enormous system to maintain.

Old 12-26-2013, 08:18 PM

2,376 posts, read 2,932,778 times
Quote:
I think Capital Blvd moves a lot of cars every hour. Y'all do realize that cities like Los Angeles and Atlanta have dozens if not hundreds of horribly clogged arterial thoroughfares like Capital Blvd.

One idea might be the conversion of Capital to a superstreet by eliminating left turns a la emplementing "Jersey Jughandles" or "Michigan Lefts."

Route 9 in New Brunswick, NJ moves a heck of a lot of traffic by not allowing left turns.

And the person who mentioned I-95 through Georgia (a relatively small stretch), why not compare that to what North Carolina has done to I-85? It has been widened mostly to 8 lanes virtually from Virginia to South Carolina, over 225 miles. Remember that NCDOT has deliberately ignored I-95 (because it mostly serves out-of -staters) and has used NC residents' gas taxes on roads they actually use.

I agree NCDOT is stretched very thin, but they have an enormous system to maintain.
You are spot-on re: Michigan Lefts! That would make Capital move SO much better. They could make it 3 lanes each way (to make room for the medians) and it would still move so much more traffic.

My wife is from NC and we moved to Michigan back in 2000. At first she was like what the....when it came to the Michigan lefts but after she understood them it became second nature. Then we move back to NC in 2007 and she has to go up and down Capital every day and now she keeps saying how much she misses those Michigan lefts.

Eliminating those cycles for the turns would allow the north/south traffic have green lights that are so much longer. Plus, you gotta love being able to turn LEFT ON RED in the medians!

Old 12-27-2013, 12:12 PM

1,320 posts, read 1,535,685 times
Our most pleasant drive up Capital is fairly early on Christmas morning, going to the daughter's house in Wake Forest. Few cars. It's almost pleasant. Any other time I try to avoid it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary