Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 03:43 AM

374 posts, read 1,598,478 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Raleigh from Chicago (I already have family there and i grew up in Va). My one brother is in Wakefield (North Raleigh) and LOVES it there. The other brother is in Cary/Apex and the LOVE it there. Each of my brothers warned us of TRAFFIC issues in the other area...LOL. I was just wondering aobut Capital Blvd. #1: is it really that bad, and if so when are the worst times. and #2...if we live in Wake Forest or Wakefield area...do you have to go onCapital Blvd daily???? My husband will be working from home and on the road (out of RDU) and I dont know where i will find a job yet (just part-time as we have 2 young boys).

OMG...i am so excited about getting out of CHICAGO!!!! I love NC so I just hope my husband likes it too. We went to look at the area this past weekend and he freaked at how much house you can get for 400K. Its not like that here in the windy city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2007, 06:20 AM

2,834 posts, read 12,032,472 times
I think you are going to find that people who live in cary think there is no place else to live, same with wake forest, apex, holly springs, north raleigh, etc. I moved from cary to wake forest and my friends think I have moved to virginia! Anyhow, wake forest is bisected by capital blvd, giving you an east side of town and a west side of town. Wakefield is, as you said, technically in north raleigh, but basically wake forest! The only times I am "using" capital blvd, is in the short distances (a couple of miles) to get from the north part of town where I am (purnell road) to the south part of town..........so I don't find there to be traffic. Now, if you were having to commute down capital every day for work, that is a different story. The worst times are during rush hour, but that tends to be once you get south of wake forest and close to the 540 interchange and south.

We live on the west side of town and we are about 20 minutes from the airport, on the east side you will be about 30 (depending on your location). There are many different ways to get there, so it doesn't seem like it would be a problem. My husband and brother in law (both in wake forest) fly at least once a month and have never had any problems.

Cary and wake forest are just different communities, and you would have to visit both areas to determine which one is for you!

Leigh

Old 02-20-2007, 06:21 AM

473 posts, read 1,737,061 times
I have been living here in Willow Spring (outside of Fuquay Varina) for over a year now and I work in Cary. I have never personally done the drive on Capital Blvd. during rush hours..... however I have yet to HEAR anything bad about it either. I know many people at the place I work in that take that road and not a peep about any traffic issues. (except for construction areas)

So I don't know what to tell ya, I mean the idea of bad traffic is preceived differently from each person.

Linda

Old 02-20-2007, 07:29 AM

653 posts, read 2,986,711 times
My husband does Capital to 540 every day at about 7:30. After I drop the kids off at school in Wake Forest and in Wakefield, I have to drive back south, usually around 8AM.

First of all, there is more than one way to get to 540 from Wakefield, or from Wake Forest, for that matter.

Capital backs up during rush hour just north of Burlington Mills Rd. to 540, usually about 15 minutes of slow traffic, worse if there is an accident, of course. From Wakefield, coming down Capital that time of day will probably take 20 minutes to get to I-540, on average. Sometimes better, sometimes worse.

From the east side of Wake Forest, you can take Ligon Mill to 401, then get on the newly opened segment of I-540. 10-15 minutes, at least for now.

From Wakefield, you can also take Falls of the Neuse south to I-540. Right now, it takes about 15 minutes on a two lane road, and forget it if there's an accident, but that is slated to be widened any day now. The city has been procurring the easements necessary from the property owners on that stretch, and once the construction is done, look for that to be more like 10 minutes, hopefully. Plus, my guess is that it will take some of the pressure off Capital.

Capital was relatively bad, but now that 540 is open to 401, and once Falls of the Neuse is widened, I think you'll see a big difference. It's definitely not bad enough to rule that area out!

Old 02-20-2007, 09:49 AM

271 posts, read 1,213,391 times
Nah, it's not that bad. Especially if you are coming from a bigger city like NYC, Philly, Atlanta. Capital Blvd is a piece of cake compared to major arterials in cities like these. Matter of fact I just left Wake Forest off Highway US breezed down that and was at my job downtown raleigh in 20 minutes flat missed most of the lights and it was not rush hour so. Really it's not that bad.

Old 02-20-2007, 09:57 AM

330 posts, read 1,976,664 times
Default Capital Blvd

I heard like you guys are saying that Capital Blvd isnt too bad, but with the way " wake County" is booming in the population it might be a serious problem in the coming years!

Are they looking to add another road that leads out of Wake Forest? Or is there no room to do that?

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinatrendsetter View Post
Nah, it's not that bad. Especially if you are coming from a bigger city like NYC, Philly, Atlanta. Capital Blvd is a piece of cake compared to major arterials in cities like these. Matter of fact I just left Wake Forest off Highway US breezed down that and was at my job downtown raleigh in 20 minutes flat missed most of the lights and it was not rush hour so. Really it's not that bad.

Old 02-20-2007, 10:22 AM

3,124 posts, read 12,666,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amsm196 View Post
I heard like you guys are saying that Capital Blvd isnt too bad, but with the way " wake County" is booming in the population it might be a serious problem in the coming years!

Are they looking to add another road that leads out of Wake Forest? Or is there no room to do that?

Thanks
Depending where you want to go into Raleigh there are ways to do it without getting on Capital....it's just normally still faster and easier.

Old 02-20-2007, 10:48 AM

3,574 posts, read 14,341,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfamilyof4 View Post
We are moving to Raleigh from Chicago (I already have family there and i grew up in Va). My one brother is in Wakefield (North Raleigh) and LOVES it there. The other brother is in Cary/Apex and the LOVE it there. Each of my brothers warned us of TRAFFIC issues in the other area...LOL. I was just wondering aobut Capital Blvd. #1: is it really that bad, and if so when are the worst times. and #2...if we live in Wake Forest or Wakefield area...do you have to go onCapital Blvd daily???? My husband will be working from home and on the road (out of RDU) and I dont know where i will find a job yet (just part-time as we have 2 young boys).

OMG...i am so excited about getting out of CHICAGO!!!! I love NC so I just hope my husband likes it too. We went to look at the area this past weekend and he freaked at how much house you can get for 400K. Its not like that here in the windy city.
Nothing like the Dan Ryan or the Kennedy! No public transportation to speak of - not like the el. I lived near County and then by Wrigley Field.......

Old 02-20-2007, 11:17 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,281,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCHomeFinder View Post
From Wakefield, you can also take Falls of the Neuse south to I-540. Right now, it takes about 15 minutes on a two lane road, and forget it if there's an accident, but that is slated to be widened any day now.
NCHomefinder,

Have you heard anything recently about the proposed Falls of the Neuse widening project? I have been asking around about this, but most feel it is still several years away. It has been difficult to come across any concrete timeline for this project.

Old 02-20-2007, 11:59 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,847,396 times
401 is another alternate but as it builds up there it will be harder to use that to zip through.

Is Capital "that bad"? Yes & No
It is bad at rush hours- peak times in the morning (7-9) & afternoon (4:15-7).
But, the rush hour is shorter than I was used to on Long Island.
And, it is stop & go, but, you will always be moving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary