Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 03:55 PM

645 posts, read 1,504,097 times

Advertisements

Now its dumb. Sorry now maybe just maybe people down here will start to ask questions. To have schools now closed three days in a row because neighborhood streets are a bit icy, it might just be time to invest in sand and salt.

Are you questioning the powers that be?? This has now been a wasted week in education. Even if we go back Thursday which was my original call, the week is a waste. Very little learning will go on. Oh there is really no snow to "PLAY" in anymore.

Old 02-02-2010, 04:03 PM

932 posts, read 3,098,369 times
The first 2 days were definitely justified. They showed Chandler Point subdivision on the news and it still looked pretty bad. No point in spending tons of money on more equipment when it's rarely used. They'll be having make up days, so there's no learning wasted. On a personal note, my kids and I have terrible cabin fever and I am so ready for them to go back to school! We may hit the museum tomorrow.

Old 02-02-2010, 04:03 PM

683 posts, read 1,885,520 times
I don't think it's that big of a deal. It's just a few days, and they will be made up later in the year so there's no real loss of education. And I hardly think a few missed school days makes a reasonable argument for spending millions in tax dollars.

Old 02-02-2010, 04:07 PM

475 posts, read 1,575,957 times
While my kids are literally bouncing off the walls, and groaned when they heard school is closed tomorrow again, in all fairness, there are probably areas in the county where the schools/homes are still icy. We live about 3 mins from Mills Park and the roads are fine, but then, I guess it would be unfair to think schools should be open just because our school is accessible. The joys of public education - you look at the entire picture.

Old 02-02-2010, 04:20 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,838,997 times
I believe someone suggested in another thread that if you feel this strongly about the need for sand/salt/plows, etc., the best course of action would be to contact the appropriate government office directly with your concerns.

Honestly, you're not going to accomplish anything by continuing to complain on an internet forum.

Old 02-02-2010, 04:41 PM

12 posts, read 31,456 times
The problem is not the neighborhood streets. The problem is the school parking lots. They have not been cleared/salted at all. An icy parking lot with icy sidewalks is just a lawsuit waiting to happen. I actually feel like it's smart that they canceled it again. There is going to be a lot of melting going on tomorrow so why take a chance?

On a side not, as a student I don't want to miss spring break but since I will be gone I don't really care.

Old 02-02-2010, 04:45 PM

133 posts, read 331,489 times
3 days of school missed for a 3-5 inch snowfall that happened FRIDAY NIGHT is ridiculous!!! I've said this before but what happens if we ever get a "real" snowstorm...10 plus inches? There seems to be panic beyond reason over icing. The aftermath of a 10+ inch snowstorm, barring unusually warm weather or rain immediately following, would melt for days; creating potential icing each one of those evenings and mornings. Based on the current criteria for closing schools based on "icing", I suppose our schools would be closed for weeks in that case right?

Three years ago up north, I measured 28 inches of snow in my driveway after a "record breaker" type storm. It snowed on a Saturday night into Sunday. The schools were closed ONE day. There was ice on the roads for a month in spots. You think I or people up there no how to drive on ice any better than they do here? Of course not...who knows how to drive on ice? This is ultra panic and overeaction like I've never seen.

The "Blizzard of 1978" in New England that brought hurricane like conditions to the coast with flooding and beach erosion combined with so much snow during a rush hour commute that thousands of cars were simply abandoned on major highways and power was out for days...people die during the storm. I was young then and missed FOUR days of school.

You are telling me that this 3-5 inch storm that happened four days ago on a weekend has resulted in 3 days of school closings...come on!!!

Old 02-02-2010, 04:51 PM
jgb

480 posts, read 1,344,350 times
I wonder how families without a stay-at-home parent are coping as businesses have not been closed Mon-Wed.

Old 02-02-2010, 04:52 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,734,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dark of the moon View Post
i believe someone suggested in another thread that if you feel this strongly about the need for sand/salt/plows, etc., the best course of action would be to contact the appropriate government office directly with your concerns.

Honestly, you're not going to accomplish anything by continuing to complain on an internet forum.
what???????

Old 02-02-2010, 05:11 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,293,986 times
Ahh it's great to be kid! How I miss the elusive snow days. Here's to the children! May they hold on to the whimsical snow day memories long into doldrums of adulthood!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary