Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 07:07 PM

7 posts, read 43,487 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to get some insight on what the political climate of Raleigh and the surrounding areas is like. I'd like to move somewhere that is more progressive than Florida, but I still would like to stay in the South if possible (a lifetime southerner here).

I have loved the several visits I have made to North Carolina in the past few years, but I have not spent enough time in one area to really get a feel for how liberal/conservative the cities may be. I ask about Raleigh specifically because, if I were to move there, it would likely be to a city on the bigger end of the spectrum. Any thoughts?

Thanks for your opinions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2007, 08:07 PM

644 posts, read 3,320,902 times
I think somewhere around here there was a thread where some poor guy asked if Raleigh was a good place for gays. Lots of mixed responses.

Artie

Old 03-15-2007, 09:56 PM

43,283 posts, read 77,104,102 times
I think Progressive has a big office in town.
Personally, I'm with State Farm.

Raleigh and Wake County tend towards conservative, but there is a decent live and let live core that makes it livable.

Old 03-16-2007, 04:11 AM

2,392 posts, read 5,724,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I think Progressive has a big office in town.
Personally, I'm with State Farm.

Raleigh and Wake County tend towards conservative, but there is a decent live and let live core that makes it livable.
Progessive is big. I have them for my auto by I do have State Farm for my renters insurance.

Old 03-16-2007, 05:07 AM

Location: Between a nook-a-ler reactor and a dump, North Cackalacky
283 posts, read 1,259,517 times
As a recent transplant from a very liberal area, I find Raleigh quite reasonable - there doesn't seem to be any real wackiness either way. Tolerance and moderation seem to be in ample supply, which is a good thing.

Chapel Hill and Carrboro are quite a bit different.

With all of the college students and the transplants, this area seems to have an open mind towards politics race/ethnicity religion etc, unlike insular enclaves in other areas.

Old 03-16-2007, 05:39 AM

3,457 posts, read 4,653,220 times
Raleigh is progressively conservative.

Old 03-16-2007, 06:41 AM

1,531 posts, read 7,407,799 times
I'd say the Triangle is very much Progressive...for the South, that is. The western end (Durham, Chapel Hill, Carrboro) even more so than the Wake County side. (And the areas further east like Johnston County are the most conservative side.)
That said, the urban core of Raleigh itself is definitely more progressive than the rest of Wake. I've often said that Inside-The-Beltline (ITB) Raleigh has more in common with Durham and Chapel Hill than it does the rest of suburban Wake County.

Old 03-16-2007, 07:45 AM

7 posts, read 43,487 times
Thanks for all the responses!

Out of curiosity, tee-tee, where did you move from?

Old 03-16-2007, 10:15 AM

161 posts, read 602,230 times
Chapel Hill and Carrboro are nationally famous for being liberal. In all other parts of the Triangle, you will find a mix of folks. This is a list of the major areas of the Triangle, in rough order from most progressive to most conservative. It’s only my rough impression from living, traveling, and listening to people around the Triangle for the last 23 years. I may have a few of them out of order. And of course there are more progressive and more conservative sub-areas within these larger areas, and there are some progressives and some conservatives everywhere.

Chapel Hill-Carrboro
Central Durham
Raleigh Inside-the-Beltline
South Durham
Eastern Chatham County
Northern Orange County
North Raleigh
North Durham City
Eastern Wake County
Cary-Morrisville-Apex
Southern Wake County
Northern Durham County
Southern Franklin County
Northwestern Johnston County

Old 03-16-2007, 10:18 AM

1,531 posts, read 7,407,799 times
^ I pretty much agree with your analysis there. I might flip the North Durham & North Raleigh ones around each other, but otherwise I think you're right on target for the "gradual progression" here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary