Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2009, 06:09 PM

3 posts, read 13,437 times

Advertisements

Just taking up fishing and wondered if anyone knew any lakes that were publicly accessible in the SW Durham area. There are a few small lakes around here, Lake Elton, Parkwood Lake, and then there is the lake in the Woodcroft subdivision area across from Piney Wood Park.

Does anyone know if those lakes are fishable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2009, 06:14 PM

715 posts, read 1,039,073 times
Not sure about fishability at the three small lakes you mention, but I do know that Jordan Lake --about 10 minutes south of SW Durham, on the west side of route 751 is very fishable, and has public access off of 751. Much larger body of water than those you mention, and not sure if this is too far into the sticks or not, but I'm guessing there's decent fishing there.

Old 02-16-2009, 06:47 AM

600 posts, read 3,448,477 times
A couple of ideas.......

Go south on 751 from I-40, and turn right on Stagecoach Rd. Go about 1/2 mile. and you'll see a gameland pond on your right. In the early Spring (like in about 3 weeks +/-) There is good crappie fishing in there, and a good run of white bass and hybrid bass (Bodie Bass). Fish up by the small spillway and the rip-rap, where the current from the spillway pushes the water up against the rocks. Small crappie **** in white and/or chartreuse is a good choice.

Another idea is to drive around in the country hunting for farm ponds. Most folks, when approaced with some courtesy, will give you permission to fish their ponds. Just don't abuse the privelage, clean up after your self, and don't advertise to the world about it. I have access to over 60 ponds in Wake and Durham counties that I've developed over the last 20 years just because I treated the property owners and the privelage with respect and courtesy.

Regards,
Streamer1212

Old 02-17-2009, 10:28 AM

1,219 posts, read 3,293,398 times
There is a sign at Parkwood Lake that says fishing is for residents only. It's not a public lake. I would imagine Woodcroft's is the same and any other one that's in a subdivision. If it were in a city/county owned park I could see that it would be considered public, but the subdivisions homeowners pay for upkeep of their own parks and lakes.

Old 02-17-2009, 10:50 AM

228 posts, read 802,451 times
There is a lake Crabtree that is close to south durham, it's just off 40 near RDU.

WakeGOV.com - Lake Crabtree Park

i only fished a few times there. Shore access is limited to a handful of docks. Also the catfish (really most fish) are not allowed to be kept due to a pollutant spill a while back. Anyway, that said< i've only been there 3x last fall, and the first time I caught a few, the second time I caught a dozen, and the third I didn't catch anything. Also there are alot of crappie at the dock, the guy next to me caught the same amount of crappie that I did catfish. Good time for both of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary