Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2007, 12:01 AM

49 posts, read 260,757 times

Advertisements

hello, my husband and i are relocating to the raleigh area from phoenix...am looking for any info available on getting a job as a mental health therapist or social worker there...i have a master's degree in community counseling as well as my associate's license in counseling through the state of arizona...

would like to know the names of any counseling agencies, social service agencies that i might follow up with and send resumes...would also like info on approximate salaries for these positions...

thanks so much, any help is greatly appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2007, 10:11 AM

579 posts, read 2,863,681 times
Hi there,
My husband is just about to graduate from UNC with an MSW. He has been working as a community support professional for years for a county funded private agency. That seems to be the trend here... the state/counties are just contracting out through smaller, private agencies. He currently makes $19 an hour and will make $20-$22ish when he has the MSW. He is paid as a 1099 and has to pay/deduct all his own expenses. NC is one of the toughest states to actually get a license in and there is a trend that is moving toward a huge demand for licensed workers. Do a lot of research about licensing here since they just changed the laws and it is harder now. Most of the jobs he's been offered or learned about were through referrals from people he knows in the field. One agency offered him $40 an hour for therapy when/if he got his license. Strangely, I can tell you that so far, the social work type jobs here pay more than he made in NY. They also seem to pay more than other states we looked in (CT and SC). I would check with Wake County Human Services. Just give them a call and tell them you are relocating here and are looking for leads on jobs. They may be able to steer you in the right direction. Good luck!

Old 03-18-2007, 04:39 PM

49 posts, read 260,757 times
Thank you SO much, you've have been very helpful! I reviewed the licensing laws for NC and see that you are right, this is much more difficult than in Arizona...! Thanks again for your insight, it sounds like the pay for those positions are better in NC than out here (combined with more affordable housing there, the move is sounding better and better in spite of the licensing laws difficulty)...if you happen to know the names of any of the agencies out there and wouldn't mind passing those along, that would be great, too! thanks again very much for your help!

Old 03-18-2007, 05:32 PM

12 posts, read 54,697 times
Default relocating SWer

i am a psych swer in NY and planning on relocating to NC in the next year. i lloked into licensing and found that even though i have 8 yrs post grad clinical experience i had to take the clinical level exam to get the LCSW. In NY i was grandfathered inw/o taking the clinical level exam. ASWB offers the exam nationally and i have been told by several members of the NASW NC office that i should not relocate until i get the LCSW.

the process will probably take you between 4-6 months from what ive been told by aswb, NASW NC and the NC licensing board.

i was also told by several people that NC is in dire need of "licensed clinicians" (LCSW's) and even more after july as there sseems to be legislation passing disallowing any non-licensed professionals from billing for clinical services. As per NASW NC staff many people with out the LCSW will be losing there jobs.

i searched the job bank as NASW-NC and found it helpful. i was already offered a job for asst dir of mobile crisis (55K) and Mobile crisis line worker (~50k) and interst by Value Options (ins company) as a clinical case manager (50K). in ny i am a state employee and make around 60K.

i would also suggest looking into UNC health care system and wake medical hospitals for in pt and out pt clinical work. i am not sure what the reqwuirment is to set up a private practice but plan to do that this week. i've been toled that there is waiting lists to see professionals in the area due to the lack of licensed people.

my wife and i are going to Cary in May and will be checking out the arrea in more detail.

Old 07-15-2007, 02:18 PM

1 posts, read 4,060 times
Talking another community counselor moving to the area

hi!

i'm also moving to the area and looking for a job in the community counseling field, i wonder if you found anything! is there hope?

thanks,

jessie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary