Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 09:23 PM

596 posts, read 730,155 times

Advertisements

First I should say that I am not a "mall" person. I don't really care for malls, and I'm not one of those people who go to the mall just for entertainment purposes or to browse. I go only when I have to because I need something from a particular store that happens to be in the mall, and I don't want to wait for it to arrive if I order online. So my trips to the mall are pretty few and far between, but tonight just happened to be one of those nights that I had to go so I made my way to South Point. For some reason, I seem to be a magnet for those vendors who set up between the stores. I try to dodge them or wave them off, but tonight I was exhausted and my defenses were down, and I got snagged by some guy trying to sell some nail file/buffer/cuticle oil/lotion kit thingie. I tried to be pleasant, knowing that the guy is just doing his job, but after a while he just became pushy and rude and actually called me cheap after I repeatedly told him that I wasn't going to buy anything. As if insulting me would surely make me change my mind and break out the cash. After that comment, he continued on with his spiel and asking me why I wouldn't buy it, and I just walked off and he had the nerve to call after me telling me to come back. What the heck is wrong with people? There's a difference between being a persistent salesperson and being an obnoxious jerk. Sadly, he was the latter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2009, 09:28 PM

1,032 posts, read 3,918,449 times
News Flash - The economy is in the crapper. Folks are getting desperate. Just walk away; no foul.

Old 02-19-2009, 09:29 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,095,324 times
You must master the fine art of not making eye contact, and if you do, simply shake your head, look ahead, and skip away. If you're not going to buy anything, don't stop.

People are more on edge than ever because of the economy.

Old 02-19-2009, 09:33 PM

596 posts, read 730,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsbadmojo View Post
News Flash - The economy is in the crapper. Folks are getting desperate. Just walk away; no foul.
Wow, thanks for the news flash. I had no idea. Please take the sarcastic remarks elsewhere. Thanks.

Old 02-19-2009, 09:37 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,106,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
You must master the fine art of not making eye contact, and if you do, simply shake your head, look ahead, and skip away. If you're not going to buy anything, don't stop.

People are more on edge than ever because of the economy.

Agreed. Just KEEP WALKING and do NOT STOP. These nail file/nail buffer/natural hand moisturizer are BEYOND annoying no matter what mall you go to. You MUST not make eye contact and just keep moving, otherwise they are experts at reeling you in.
I was actually laughing to myself on the Friday before Valentines Day at the number of men who were standing at the kiosk trapped getting their nails buffed. I kept thinking "Thank God! Now they will leave me ALONE and I can sneak past while they poor guys out Valentine's Day shopping for wives are the ones who got snared!". I wonder who got a nail buffer for V-day?

Old 02-19-2009, 09:39 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,243,784 times
I was at Southpoint last week and noticed the same thing. I though MY MISTAKE was that I was there in the middle of the day, middle of the week and there weren't that many people around.

I usually do not make eye contact but just say "no thanks" and keep walking. They usually get the hint. What a horrible way to try to make a living!

Reminds me of a class I took once about "cold calling". I HATE when people call me to sell me something so I was not about to do the same thing!!!

Vicki

Old 02-19-2009, 09:42 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,465,557 times
I know what you mean, the same nail buffer people got to me; my person was a woman. I let her finish her spiel, then I told her I wasn't going to use the product. She kept trying to push it, at which point I told her it could cost $2 and I wouldn't buy it, because I'm not going to use it. Then I walked away. I agree that not making eye contact is a good tactic, but sometimes it doesn't work. You could always pretend to talk on your cell phone until you get to the store you want.

Old 02-19-2009, 09:52 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,243,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by senalj View Post
I know what you mean, the same nail buffer people got to me; my person was a woman. I let her finish her spiel, then I told her I wasn't going to use the product. She kept trying to push it, at which point I told her it could cost $2 and I wouldn't buy it, because I'm not going to use it. Then I walked away. I agree that not making eye contact is a good tactic, but sometimes it doesn't work. You could always pretend to talk on your cell phone until you get to the store you want.
I'm laughing at the image I have now of each time someone walks by this vendor, we have to pull out our cells and talk to no one!!!

I'm thinking that the next time it happens to me, I may go to the mall customer service dept. and see who I can complain to!

Vicki

Old 02-19-2009, 10:05 PM

305 posts, read 713,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbsnm View Post
First I should say that I am not a "mall" person. I don't really care for malls, and I'm not one of those people who go to the mall just for entertainment purposes or to browse. I go only when I have to because I need something from a particular store that happens to be in the mall, and I don't want to wait for it to arrive if I order online. So my trips to the mall are pretty few and far between, but tonight just happened to be one of those nights that I had to go so I made my way to South Point. For some reason, I seem to be a magnet for those vendors who set up between the stores. I try to dodge them or wave them off, but tonight I was exhausted and my defenses were down, and I got snagged by some guy trying to sell some nail file/buffer/cuticle oil/lotion kit thingie. I tried to be pleasant, knowing that the guy is just doing his job, but after a while he just became pushy and rude and actually called me cheap after I repeatedly told him that I wasn't going to buy anything. As if insulting me would surely make me change my mind and break out the cash. After that comment, he continued on with his spiel and asking me why I wouldn't buy it, and I just walked off and he had the nerve to call after me telling me to come back. What the heck is wrong with people? There's a difference between being a persistent salesperson and being an obnoxious jerk. Sadly, he was the latter.
Not so long ago, people didn't act like that around here.
Rampant rudeness has come with the explosion of transplants.
Too many misfits have moved into the area and it's a crying shame.

Old 02-19-2009, 10:12 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,722,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Taylor View Post
Not so long ago, people didn't act like that around here.
Rampant rudeness has come with the explosion of transplants.
Too many misfits have moved into the area and it's a crying shame.
That has absolutely nothing to do with new people to the Raleigh area.

I've run across the same vendors in both Virginia Beach and Baltimore, and they all act the same way. If I were a betting men, I'd put my car payment on it being the same company too (would disclosing the name violate TOS?).

They're actually the only mall vendor I've seen behave that way with customers. I've had guys try to sell me CDs and stolen watches with better people skills than them.

Last edited by papilgee4evaeva; 02-19-2009 at 10:13 PM.. Reason: clarification
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary