Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2007, 12:52 PM

2 posts, read 10,834 times

Advertisements

my husband and i heard excellent things about the riverwood community and its schools and were seriously interested in moving to the area from the northeast until we checked out the crime rate...it is extremely high (double that of nyc)...any idea why it is so high? we are now thinking about cary....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2007, 12:54 PM

1,515 posts, read 6,981,776 times
Where did you read this at?
I hope this is not true!!

Old 03-20-2007, 12:55 PM

567 posts, read 2,140,850 times
What crime rate?

Where did you read this report? Big city vs. small town crime is like comparing apples and oranges. The reporting is very different.

Old 03-20-2007, 01:34 PM

2 posts, read 10,834 times
City-data.com crime index = 468.8 (higher means more crime, US average = 330.8)

Old 03-20-2007, 01:37 PM

2,024 posts, read 5,913,640 times
On a purely statistical basis, your odds of being a victim of violent crime in Johnston Co. is about the same as Durham Co. -- in 2004, about 0.67% of residents of Johnston Co. were victims of violent crime, vs. 0.77% of Durham Co.

Clayton itself as a town was much lower -- a 0.30% rate. Cary is 0.09%. My stats come from trulia.com.

What does this all mean? Not a darned thing. I'm sure most areas of Clayton are perfectly nice and safe to live in, just like most areas of Durham are. Just about any town you live in -- save for Mass. where I came from, where rich towns could zone their way out of affordable housing -- is going to have some crime.

Honestly, compared to where I've lived in the northeast (Boston, Washington DC), crime is a far more localized and less worrisome issue down here. If you're concerned about pockets that may have crime in *any* city down here, come visit and check things out.

Old 03-20-2007, 01:54 PM

1,515 posts, read 6,981,776 times
I'm guessing domestic disputes probably top the charts. I rarely hear any crime on the news about Clayton.

Old 03-21-2007, 08:45 AM

850 posts, read 3,625,345 times
You really need to VISIT the areas. Definately do not cross some place (any place) off your list based on statistics. We live near the Riverwood area and it is NOT crime ridden or even unsafe.

Clayton has a very high volume of new construction which usually generates increases in theft crimes. The homes are usually broken into while finished but stull empty of people.

I was a bit alarmed at the rates myself but they don't jive when you are here and looking. So between the above and maybe the expanse of 70 (a busy 4 lane route with tons of business/stores, etc) it contributes? Not sure but do yourself a favor and look at all places regardless.
Lauren

Old 03-22-2007, 01:11 PM

6 posts, read 17,927 times
Arrow visited clayton, from ct

My family and i stayed in Raleigh last week and went house hunting in the surrounding areas. Long story short, someone mentioned how nice Clayton was and how it was growing. We decided we could buy some land and put a house on it. so we went there and it seemed pretty homey, with businesses going up yet still lots of residential areas. so we are going to keep checking that out. just for comparisions, in connecticut, you are lucky if you can buy one acre of land for 200,000+, ;we we finding land 1+ acres for 30-60k, so north carloina, here we come. Plus, IT IS SO BEAUTIFUL IN NORTH CAROLINA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary