Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 08:40 AM

3 posts, read 8,931 times

Advertisements

I work next to a Moderator cut: please dont post buisness names as it violates our consumer complaint policy found in the tos and have ate there regularly for months. Last weekend I got my usual tuna sub and became ill. I think they were either keeping the tuna too long or it wasn't refridgerated properly. I told the manager and he said I couldn't possibly have been sick from their food. I wasn't trying to sue. I am just disappointed with the manager's reaction and vowed not to eat there anymore. Has anyone else had a bad experience with a restaurant?

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 03-03-2009 at 09:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2009, 08:49 AM

746 posts, read 2,249,621 times
report it to the local health department. If others report sickness with the suspicion that it came from there, they will be inspected faster than they can say "boo." It could have been cross-contamination from other foodstuffs, improper temps, keeping things out too long, improper handwashing - any number of infractions - or you could have gotten sick elsewhere. The system works when people report restaurants where they think they got sick. It does not when restaurants are not reported. Hope you are feeling better!

Old 03-03-2009, 09:15 AM

360 posts, read 996,653 times
I've gotten sick many times at local restaurants, especially fast food, which is why I rarely go anywhere to eat. Take a look at the people preparing your food, consider how clean their house is, and what kind of hygiene they are used to. And consider how little they get paid, and think, do these people really care about the customers? I used to do house inspections, most of whom were of very low income people, there were roaches everywhere, filth all over the walls, and I would see a McDonalds or Cookout uniform laying on the floor among all the other garbage and it pretty much made me reconsider my eating habits.

Old 03-03-2009, 09:22 AM

1,094 posts, read 2,467,930 times
Since I started watching Hell's Kitchen, I don't eat out much anymore. Just seeing what happens in the kitchen with "high end" chefs was enough for me to know there is no way someone who is in high school working at a fast-food joint is going to be any better. I cook at home; I know how clean I am and I've never gotten sick off my own food.

My daughter did get food poisoning at Red Lobster once. It was in Portland, OR and we were driving cross-country. She ordered the crab pasta dish and there were shells in her food. She didn't eat all of it (not even half, really), but she ate enough to be sick for 3 days! Needless to say, she's afraid of eating at ANY Red Lobster now.

Old 03-03-2009, 10:34 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,962,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmana View Post
Take a look at the people preparing your food, consider how clean their house is, and what kind of hygiene they are used to. And consider how little they get paid, and think, do these people really care about the customers?
Sadly, I've never developed the ability to judge the cleanliness of people's homes simply based on where they work or how much money they make.

Old 03-03-2009, 10:41 AM

360 posts, read 996,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Sadly, I've never developed the ability to judge the cleanliness of people's homes simply based on where they work or how much money they make.
Well, I think it's pretty obvious that someone making $7 an hour isn't going to be the cleanest person in the world I am not trying to say EVERYONE who works fast food is dirty, but I would say there is a much greater percentage of unhygienic poor people than non poor people.

Old 03-03-2009, 10:44 AM

502 posts, read 1,656,269 times
I got sick after eating at a Chinese place I'd never been to about 18 months ago. Took about three days to get my appetite back and a week to feel like myself again. To this day I still can't pass that place without getting a lump in my throat. I've never been one to eat a lot of Chinese, but I eat even less now because of the flashbacks.

I'm religious about checking sanitation scores. I even keep a bookmark to Wake County's site in my Blackberry. But that's not always enough.

Old 03-03-2009, 10:47 AM

502 posts, read 1,656,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmana View Post
Well, I think it's pretty obvious that someone making $7 an hour isn't going to be the cleanest person in the world I am not trying to say EVERYONE who works fast food is dirty, but I would say there is a much greater percentage of unhygienic poor people than non poor people.
That's not a fair statement. Money doesn't buy hygiene.

Old 03-03-2009, 11:17 AM

147 posts, read 427,967 times
Hell's Kitchen/Kitchen Nightmares is/are funny and entertaining shows to watch. They are also staged and showcase the worst case scenereo in a food service establishment. The food service industry overall is as clean and often is more sanitary than the average kitchen. The day to day practices in the typical home kitchen offer more oportunity for cross contamination than you probably realize.

Re: getting sick after eating out in a place, it is possible by all means. What most people don't realize is that it typically takes 24-48 hours for the food that you consumed to get you sick if it was in fact that food. When a person calls and says "I got sick and I ate at your place tonight or in the morning they indicate that they ate at your place last night", many times it was from something they ate earlier. I would suggest calling the health department at any case whenever you are concerned about sanaitation at a dining establishment. I've done it myself several times. The health department is required to investigate any creditable complaint within 24 hours. Don't let Gordan keep you from enjoying good food.

Old 03-03-2009, 11:18 AM

61,286 posts, read 87,516,738 times
yes that is why i fired them. i cook my own food. lots more money and i lost 30 lbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary