Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 08:28 AM

16 posts, read 68,387 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My family has a chance to relocate to Raleigh in June. My husband would be taking a job there as a .net web developer. (I'm a freelance illustrator, and can work anywhere.)

We are concerned about the economy, however. We'd hate to move just to have him laid off after we'd relocated away from our friends here in Colorado. (But his company has cut salaries to the point that we can no longer afford Boulder, which is a VERY expensive place to live: Median home price is 660K. We rent.)

I understand that unemployment is high in NC, as it is almost everywhere. However, how is the tech industry in the triangle? Are there massive layoffs? Or is the industry pretty much staying afloat?

Any input is appreciated!

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2009, 08:33 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,829,826 times
Some companies (Nortel comes most to mind) have had pretty severe layoffs lately. Others are moving more and more jobs overseas. "IT" is more and more taking a backseat as this area's cash cow to biotech--although GlaxoSmithKline has been laying off a lot recently, as well.

That said, state government and several universities in the area will always need tech folks, so since he would be coming for a job (I wouldn't advise moving without one), and presumably is not in eminent danger of layoffs right away, there ARE some fallbacks.

Old 03-04-2009, 08:41 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,604,601 times
I was laid off from Sony Ericsson in October along with 400 other people. I'm a software engineer. I still haven't found a job yet. Haven't even had a face-to-face interview since Jan 14th. I'm not in IT though, so I'm not sure how that is doing compared to my field.

Old 03-04-2009, 08:46 AM

525 posts, read 1,298,256 times
I don't think anyone is going to assure you that the IT job market is hunky dory right now. It's slow. How slow is it compared to other places? That's hard to say, exactly, from what I've read, the overall unemployment numbers for this area are somewhere in the middle, nationally -- definitely not the worst, but definitely not the best, either. I work in IT in Raleigh, and my company just put in an across the board paycut AFTER having layoffs in November, and we're supposedly doing better than many places.

Old 03-04-2009, 11:02 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,098,208 times
Everyone I know in IT has been gravely affected by the downturn, and I've been in an IT-related field, in IT departments, for about 20 years, most of them in the Triangle.

I do keep seeing listings for some types of developers in a newsletter I get from a recruiting firm, but I don't know what's "hot" now.

Old 03-04-2009, 01:45 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,643,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
I was laid off from Sony Ericsson in October along with 400 other people. I'm a software engineer. I still haven't found a job yet. Haven't even had a face-to-face interview since Jan 14th. I'm not in IT though, so I'm not sure how that is doing compared to my field.
Wait, you're a software engineer but you're not in IT?

Old 03-04-2009, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
Wait, you're a software engineer but you're not in IT?
Yeah. There are other kinds of SW besides IT. I'm in embedded SW.

From Wikipedia: Information technology (IT), as defined by the Information Technology Association of America (ITAA), is "the study, design, development, implementation, support or management of computer-based information systems, particularly software applications and computer hardware." IT deals with the use of electronic computers and computer software to convert, store, protect, process, transmit, and securely retrieve information.

Again from Wikipedia: Embedded software's principal role is not Information Technology, but rather the interaction with the physical world. It's written for machines that are not, first and foremost, computers. Embedded software is 'built in' to the electronics in cars, telephones, audio equipment, robots, appliances, toys, security systems, pacemakers, televisions and digital watches, for example. This software can become very sophisticated in applications like airplanes, missiles, process control systems, and so on.

Old 03-04-2009, 01:58 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,289,282 times
^^Funny, I always thought you were a professional beer brewer who did SW on the side for fun.

Old 03-04-2009, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
^^Funny, I always thought you were a professional beer brewer who did SW on the side for fun.
I can dream

Old 03-04-2009, 05:33 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,167,824 times
State has a hiring freeze.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary