Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 09:27 AM

223 posts, read 1,065,291 times

Advertisements

I am wondering if anyone has used Bath Fitter in Raleigh?

We would like to refurbish our kids' bathroom without spending a ton of money, and just wondering if anyone can comment from their experience on the quality, price and customer service aspects of Bath Fitter.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2007, 09:39 AM

2,024 posts, read 5,913,640 times
I can't speak to Bath Fitter, but we used Re-Bath of the Triangle in the fall for similar work in our bathroom.

The workman was knowledgeable and did a nice job with a challenging installation (tub liner and wall liner). We are much happier with our new shower/tub than our old one -- there *are* downsides to living in a ca. 1935 house, and the tub was one! We had previously had the tub and surround reglazed and that stuff wore off and cracked/peeled in no time.

When I did the research on the web into the companies that sold tub liner units, the big advice I walked away with was to make sure the company has trained, quality installers who will install correctly. Nothing is worse than the silicon seams giving and water getting under the liner or behind the walls, which makes a huge mess and requires even more work. This also means checking *very* carefully into the individual contractor/franchisee -- I read horror stories on the web about some Re-Bath and Bath Fitter contractors in other states, but the Re-Bath contractor I checked out here got positive BBB ratings.

The one downside with Re-Bath was that they were pretty heavily booked and it took about 3 months to get them out. That may be different now (they were in Greensboro for about 10 years and just opened up on Glenwood Ave. last year.) Note that though you "can" start using your tub again within a couple of days of the work being completed, our installer recommended not using the tub for 1 week+ to allow the adhesives and silicon to fully set.

One other thing: we found out *after* we went through all of this that you can negotiate down the price. We are very happy with the work but wish we had negotiated the price down a bit.

Old 04-02-2007, 09:46 AM

578 posts, read 3,081,017 times
I had Bath Fitter give me a quote on doing my tub which has 3 walls and ceiling done in tile. I believe the quote was a mind boggling $5000+ for JUST THE BATH AND SURROUNDS. The only advantage to Bath Fitter that I saw is they can basically have the entire thing done in 1 work day. But the cost alone was a deterrent.

Instead, I re-did my ENTIRE BATHROOM for under $2K by replacing the 2 sinks/sink faucets/toilet, then tiling the formica counter myself, painting the rest of the room, and having the tub and surround and tile floor "reglaze" (high-tech painting) the tub, surrounds, and tile floor. It's just high-tech paint so it can theoretically chip or peel if abused. I wouldn't do it again in a house I was going to live in for any length of time and just did it to sell my property. The fresh white bathroom was much more attractive than an ancient pink one.

If I had to do it all over I'd just have gutted the tub, surround, and floors and installed new stuff myself for free labor. Probably cost the same or less and would be much more durable and long lasting. The deterrent for that job was simply time. Probably would have taken me 1+ weeks of nights and weekends and I didn't have that spare time available.

CONCLUSION: You can probably hire a contractor to gut the bathroom for the same or less than Bath Fitter can redo JUST your tub and surrounds.

Old 04-02-2007, 11:09 AM

2,024 posts, read 5,913,640 times
Good lord, that is high. We paid about $3,000 to Re-Bath, which included new plumbing/fixtures. From what I've seen elsewhere, a good negotiator (e.g., not me!) might have gotten that down to $2,500.

I had bad luck for long-term with reglazing... but for the purposes of increasing attractiveness for a short-term thing, can be very cost-effective. At the same time, if I weren't all thumbs and incapable of effecting actual home repairs, I could have saved some money doing what you did!

Old 04-02-2007, 12:07 PM

578 posts, read 3,081,017 times
The Bath Fitter estimate I had wasn't with any new fixtures or anything. Just the acrylic (or whatever) laid over the tub, 3 surround walls, and ceiling. Even if it was $3K that'd have been too much for my budget.

The re-glazing was only $999 for the tub, 3 walls, ceiling, 4 towel holders, 1 toilet paper holder, and the entire floor. A much better value for what I needed since it covered a lot more than just the tub and surround.

Old 04-02-2007, 04:25 PM

223 posts, read 1,065,291 times
Thanks everyone for the great responses. It gives us a frame of reference. Those are some pretty high quotes that some of y'all got. It does sound like the main advantage is the 1 day installation, but still ....

Old 04-12-2007, 12:56 PM

1 posts, read 20,233 times
Default Bath Fitter

Bath Fitter quotes depend on what has to be done. I have two bathrooms that require removal of the one peice fiberglass unit. The bath fitter guy that came by beat the price of re bath and luxury bath by a long shot. I had a contractor come by as well and he would have been $8000! And I wouldn't have my bathroom for 2 weeks. I couldn't be happier with bath fitter. The contractor was going to replace with another fiberglass deal, and he was gonna have to widen my walls etc. Replacing fiberglass with their stuff, including a seamless wall and new fixtures was $3000. I could have saved a lot if my tub wasn't fiberglass. $3000 sounds like a lot but not compared to the contractor and the other two. The thing that I liked is the warranty, it's good for as long as I own it. The glass doors we liked and some other bells and whistles would have made it more, but it's what you choose. Reglazing only lasts about 2 years by what I know from my parents. If you are keeping your house, it's not worth it, and I had a very good experience with bath fitter. Good luck!

Old 10-22-2008, 08:02 AM

1 posts, read 15,534 times
Red face Max42

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariGirl View Post
I am wondering if anyone has used Bath Fitter in Raleigh?

We would like to refurbish our kids' bathroom without spending a ton of money, and just wondering if anyone can comment from their experience on the quality, price and customer service aspects of Bath Fitter.
Thanks!
We live in Sanford and used Bath Fitter approx. two years ago. I had them re-furbished two bathrooms and have been pleased with the results. They are very professional and highly ethical. I would use them again.

Max42

Old 10-22-2008, 09:15 AM

2 posts, read 19,742 times
Default Bath Fitter

I used Bath Fitter just about 2 years ago for a bathroom renovation in a ranch home built in the late 1960's. I did get an estimate from a similar remodeling service as well and elected to use Bath Fitter after negotiating the price. The remodel was much less expensive than removing all of the original tile & grout etc. and installing new, and it did refresh the bathroom. I can't say how it holds up as I sold the property recently. I will say that after installation, I did have them come back to re-caulk some seams, but I don't think that was out of the ordinary. Would I use them again?....probable in the same circumstances. I wil say they did everything they said they would, showed up as scheduled and were easy to work with. Hope this helps.

Old 02-21-2009, 06:22 AM

1,467 posts, read 5,128,456 times
Any other opinions of Bath Fitter? I recently received a quote and I'm trying to ensure that the work/product is worth the cost.

Any and all opinions are appreciated...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary