Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 10:19 PM

1 posts, read 42,479 times

Advertisements

Two cars are stopped at stop signs at opposite sides of an intersection (facing each other). One wants to turn left, the other right. The one turning left came to a stop first. When the traffic on the through street clears, which car has right of way to turn first?

Some think that the car turning right does, but my understanding is that the "right turn rule" is only used to distinguish the right of way when two cars stop simultaneously. If the cars arrive at different times, the first one to stop has right of way, no matter what direction the two cars are turning. Is this correct?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 10:26 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,098,208 times
The person turning right has the right of way.

Of course, if lefty has a bigger car, he doesn't care. He just goes. But if there's an accident, righty is out of luck because lefty probably doesn't have a license anyway. Or it's suspended.

So the answer is: Be careful.

Old 04-02-2009, 10:39 PM

1 posts, read 42,462 times
Default Errrnt -- wrong answer, please try again

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
The person turning right has the right of way.
Wrong. The original poster was correct that the car turning right has right of way only when the two cars come to a stop at the same time. In other words, the "First car rule" has precedence over the "Same time rule" (which gives ROW to the right turning vehicle)

[URL]http://www.ncdot.org/dmv/driver_services/drivershandbook/download/NCDL_English.pdf[/URL]

Page 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
So the answer is: Be careful.
This is definitely true, as there are a lot of people like lovebrentwood who are not familiar with the law and will hit you when you have the right of way.

Old 04-02-2009, 10:46 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,098,208 times
I will not hit you.

The law is different elsewhere.

Doesn't matter. I've been here 16 years. If I'm turning left, I've never seen a person taking a right to stop and give me the right of way; they just go. Everyone is from elsewhere.

I always let everyone go first.

There are also laws that say you must stop at stop signs, and I've seen little evidence that anyone pays attention to that law.

So you're right, the answer is: Be careful.

AND...the reason the law is different elsewhere is because who is to decide who was first or if they arrived simultaneously at the intersection? Does simultaneously mean at the exact millisecond? Or what if one showed up half a second later? Who is to judge? I'd rather not judge. I let everyone else go. No accidents yet, and I've been driving a looooooooong time.

Old 04-03-2009, 05:30 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,791,337 times
I've always understood that the person who has right of way is the person who will clear traffic. I.e. I've come to this situation in a turnaround before (not a crossroads, which are generally guided by traffic lights), and rights have the right of way over my turning left, because I'm in a turn lane and not "in traffic".

If it's a stop sign and not a traffic light where both people have green, I would yield to the right turn.

Old 04-03-2009, 05:43 AM

3 posts, read 86,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabbcat View Post
I've always understood that the person who has right of way is the person who will clear traffic. I.e. I've come to this situation in a turnaround before (not a crossroads, which are generally guided by traffic lights), and rights have the right of way over my turning left, because I'm in a turn lane and not "in traffic".
I've never heard any reasoning like that before. What is the basis for it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabbcat View Post
If it's a stop sign and not a traffic light where both people have green, I would yield to the right turn.
This is the exact opposite of my understanding. If there were a stop light at the intersection that just turned green, and absent an no arrows or signs specifying otherwise, then the right turning car has right of way.

At an intersection with stop signs, the car waiting the longest goes first.

Old 04-03-2009, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerpsFan09 View Post
I've never heard any reasoning like that before. What is the basis for it?
Safety!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerpsFan09 View Post
This is the exact opposite of my understanding. If there were a stop light at the intersection that just turned green, and absent an no arrows or signs specifying otherwise, then the right turning car has right of way.
From the NCDOT Handbook:
A green arrow means that you have a "protected" turning movement with no other conflicting traffic in the intersection except U-turn traffic that should yield to all other traffic entering the intersection.

Now...for no traffic signals...only stop signs In intersections without traffic signs or signals, the right-of-way rules state that:
  • the vehicle already in the intersection has the right–of–way ahead of any car that has not yet entered;
  • when two or more vehicles reach an intersection at the same time, the car to the right has the right-of-way;
  • a vehicle with the right-of-way may move straight ahead or, if legal and after signaling, turn right or left; and
  • even with the right-of-way, be careful to avoid hitting other vehicles and pedestrians.
http://www.ncdot.org/dmv/graphics/driversHandbook/basicDriveIntersection.gif (broken link)

When two facing vehicles approach an intersection at the same time, the right-of-way rules are not much help. Both drivers can move straight ahead or turn right. If one driver is going straight while the other wants to turn left, the driver who wants to turn must wait. The driver who wants to turn left must give the proper signal and wait until the turn can be made safely. Therefore, in this case, the driver who is traveling straight ahead has the right–of–way. Never change lanes while you are moving straight ahead through an intersection.

Last edited by tabbcat; 04-03-2009 at 06:30 AM..

Old 04-03-2009, 05:52 AM

3 posts, read 86,233 times
Then why did you say:

Old 04-03-2009, 05:58 AM

43,292 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Anyone who takes a stand on right of way is liable to hit or get hit.

I make eye contact, and often won't pull out from either position unless I get visual confirmation that the other person is actively engaged in driving and it appears that they will not smack me.

Old 04-03-2009, 05:59 AM

Because that's what I would do I would yield to the person turning right at a stop sign, if I were turning left, and we approached at the same time. See the last example from the NCDOT. Most states consider "turning right" as "driving straight" because you're traveling in a non-obtrusive manner to oncoming traffic. Left turns are obtrusive. Now, I'm only a Michigan lawyer, but that's how I would read the regulations. And as Mike says, traffic rules don't mean a damn if you're dealing with people who aren't paying attention. A friendly wave and signaling your intent will get you through safely!

Edit to clear things up The rule is clear, if you're approaching before the other car, you have the right to go first.

Last edited by tabbcat; 04-03-2009 at 06:29 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary