Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 07:03 PM

1,357 posts, read 4,029,114 times

Advertisements

I was under the impression that when moving from another state to NC, I would have to take the written test. However, I was reading this guide put out by the DMV and it says "New residents that hold
a valid license from their previous state of residence
are usually exempt from the driving skills test when
applying for a Class C license; however, this is
discretionary."

So does anyone know for sure if I have to take the test? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2009, 07:12 PM

2,275 posts, read 6,309,421 times
You have to take the written test. The driving skills test refers to the road test.

Old 04-05-2009, 07:18 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,076,177 times
You do have to take the written test.

It is at their discretion whether you will have to take the skills test (aka driving portion).

I don't know anyone who has actually ever had to take it though.

Old 04-05-2009, 07:34 PM

Ok, gotcha! Thanks! Next question (yep, I'm full of them tonight!):

I was hoping to find this answer in the guide, but I didn't.

I'll be moving to Raleigh in May and driving on my SC plates for probably the first few weeks. When I do get my NC license, my dad will first have to sell/give the vehicle to me bc it's been in his name while I've been in college. In what order do I: have him sign the title over to me, have him cancel his insurance and me get my own insurance, get my NC license, get my NC plate. I just want to make sure I do it in the right order so I don't end up with fees and fines. Thanks again!

Old 04-05-2009, 08:20 PM

22 posts, read 65,640 times
Cool my 2 cents

1. Get your NC license. You can still drive around with SC plates.
2. Have Dad sign title over to you. He will need your identification which is why you do step 1 above.
3. Get your own insurance using your NC license & title in your name.
4. Get NC plates.
5. Have Dad take you off his insurance. Never cancel any insurance before obtaining a replacement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sowk09 View Post
Ok, gotcha! Thanks! Next question (yep, I'm full of them tonight!):

I was hoping to find this answer in the guide, but I didn't.

I'll be moving to Raleigh in May and driving on my SC plates for probably the first few weeks. When I do get my NC license, my dad will first have to sell/give the vehicle to me bc it's been in his name while I've been in college. In what order do I: have him sign the title over to me, have him cancel his insurance and me get my own insurance, get my NC license, get my NC plate. I just want to make sure I do it in the right order so I don't end up with fees and fines. Thanks again!

Old 04-06-2009, 08:15 AM

Ed O, thank you SO much! Man... growing up is a pain .

Old 04-06-2009, 08:56 AM

1,094 posts, read 2,466,168 times
When I moved here I did it in this order:
1. Transferred insurance to NC (used the same company, just located in a different state)
2. Get driver's license
3. Get license plates

This actually worked out great, because I couldn't get my license unless I had local insurance and I couldn't get my license plates unless I had local insurance and driver's license.

Just so you know, you can't use an out-of-state (drawn on a non-NC bank) or temporary check to pay for your driver's license. I wound up having to get cash from an ATM (I had a local bank account, but didn't have my permanent checks yet).

Old 04-06-2009, 03:28 PM

228 posts, read 802,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by senalj View Post
When I moved here I did it in this order:
1. Transferred insurance to NC (used the same company, just located in a different state)
2. Get driver's license
3. Get license plates

This actually worked out great, because I couldn't get my license unless I had local insurance and I couldn't get my license plates unless I had local insurance and driver's license.

Just so you know, you can't use an out-of-state (drawn on a non-NC bank) or temporary check to pay for your driver's license. I wound up having to get cash from an ATM (I had a local bank account, but didn't have my permanent checks yet).
This is what I did too. Also when i totalled my car my insurance agency said I had to have insurance on the vehicle even though it was totalled and they actually paid me off, so the insurance agency was the proper owner of the car. EVEN THEN, i was still paying insurance on the vehicle; they will not allow you to not have insurance, i had to wait until i got a new vehicle (and if you do, bring the old plates, it is slightly cheaper). I didn't know this, bought a new vehicle, got new tags (licence plate), and then just had to turn in the old tags at the DOT (the location in greenspoint mall). FINALLY, i could cancel the insurance on it. Silly huh?

Old 04-06-2009, 03:31 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,457,282 times
Keep in mind you need auto insurance in your name to even GET a license here. So if you don't have a car with insurance you are stuck. The way NC handles their car registration/DL situation is one of the most retarded on the planet. I have been here almost a year and finally got around to getting my DL. The only reason we did was because the wife's car registration was up (out of state) and we couldn't renew online and have it sent to our NC address!!!

Old 04-06-2009, 04:45 PM

2,275 posts, read 6,309,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Keep in mind you need auto insurance in your name to even GET a license here. So if you don't have a car with insurance you are stuck. The way NC handles their car registration/DL situation is one of the most retarded on the planet. I have been here almost a year and finally got around to getting my DL. The only reason we did was because the wife's car registration was up (out of state) and we couldn't renew online and have it sent to our NC address!!!
From the NC DOT web site, regarding the insurance requirement:

Quote:
This does not apply to applicants who do not own currently registered motor vehicles
If you don't have a car in your name, you don't have to have insurance in your name. If a vehicle is in your name, then yes, you do need insurance - and for good reason. If the vehicle was in your wife's name, and your name was not on the registration, then you would not have had to have insurance. The DL office has a certificate of exemption that you would sign in this case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary