Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 03:43 PM

1,379 posts, read 3,921,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
I like the idea of the second location, that's what I was imaging. Although, you don't have to have the apartments above, just shops, bars, restaurants, maybe movie theater or performing stage . Is there anything like that in the Raleigh area?
Click the "North Hills" link in the post right above this one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2009, 03:47 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,071,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Paddler View Post
I was thinking the same thing after I sent my last post . . . but then I noticed he specifically said "Raleigh".

I suppose North Hills is probably close to what he's looking for.

North Hills Raleigh - Shopping, Dining, Movies and Events

They were also building "Davis Park" in Morrisville (which again is not Raleigh), but I don't think they even came close to building out the retail section of this "urban village".

DAVIS PARK :: Live Life in the Park

I think it's the same developers as Meadowmont in CH.
Yeah, North Hills is what I'm thinking about! We just crossed posts! LOL

Old 04-19-2009, 03:53 PM

The only thing is that it's seems to be more geared to shopping than entertainment, but I guess it would work. I do see that they hold events there too. It seems kind of big, maybe something on a smaller scale. Maybe some specialty or unique shops, bars, and restaurants? It's got the basic concept. I'd love to visit there. Thanks!

Last edited by beckycat; 04-19-2009 at 04:02 PM..

Old 04-19-2009, 04:05 PM

387 posts, read 1,028,606 times
Quote:
Well, it's not just my opinion; it's directly observable fact. You either live "in town" (i.e., where they potentially have "town squares") or you live outside of town (in the country or in the burbs).
Suburbs are towns.... Most people would agree with this. Apex is town. It is also a suburb of Raleigh. The definition of "burbs" you have presented here is atypical.

Quote:
Ok, but this is a straw man; who said anything about diversity?
YOU did!!!! This is your original quote!
"Seems to me that "burbs" and "town squares" have conflicting goals. The whole purpose of a suburb is to segregate people by socioeconomic status, whereas a town square attempts to bring people together."

Quote:
Right, but he didn't say "small town in the triangle", he said "burbs"; two very different things. Cary is a small town, but downtown Cary is certainly not "the burbs".
In that case you and I have different definitions of the word suburb.

Old 04-19-2009, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
The only thing is that it's seems to be more geared to shopping than entertainment, but I guess it would work. I do see that they hold events there too. It seems kind of big, maybe something on a smaller scale. It's got the basic concept. I'd love to visit there. Thanks!
Yeah, I think North Hills and places like them are (unfortunately, imo) more geared toward consumption rather than community. To me, a traditional town square is where people of all kinds would gather to socialize, have a beer and talk politics, grab a bite to eat and talk about the show you just attended, and such.

North Hills/Briar Creek is definitely more about consumer culture, imo.

I think Asheville is a good example of the "town square" concept. There are a variety of unique shops, restaurants, outdoor dining, live music venues, and of course the infamous drum circles in Pritchard Park. You're likely to run into all kinds of people from tourists to locals to young hipsters to retired folks.

And you won't find anything remotely resembling a big box chain retail store.

Old 04-19-2009, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I think North Hills and places like them are (unfortunately, imo) more geared toward consumption rather than community. To me, a traditional town square is where people of all kinds would gather to socialize, have a beer and talk politics, grab a bite to eat and talk about the show you just attended, and such.

North Hills/Briar Creek is definitely more about consumer culture, imo.

I think Asheville is a good example of the "town square" concept. There are a variety of unique shops, restaurants, outdoor dining, live music venues, and of course the infamous drum circles in Pritchard Park. You're likely to run into all kinds of people from tourists to locals to young hipsters to retired folks.

And you won't find anything remotely resembling a big box chain retail store.
IMHO, I think this would be a great concept in Raleigh. We have them here in FL and it is a busy place, especially on the weekends. I wouldn't have thought of the idea, but down here they are popping up all over the place. They have some lunch places, but more geared to what you mentioned. Some of the bars have a band or DJ on certain nights. During the day, you may see a 2 man band or an art show or vendors set up for a certian occasion. They have different themes such as Mardi Gras, Bike week, or Pet expo. You can dine out on the patio or just plain hang out with your friends or meet new ppl.

Old 04-19-2009, 04:31 PM

It seems like lately Wake Forest has been having alot going on as far as festivals and get togethers. (Thanks to NRG keeping us informed) I really like to see this stuff and be part of it. I hope they keep it up. From what I heard, they have a big turnout too.

Old 04-19-2009, 05:25 PM

291 posts, read 958,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I was assuming the op was looking for something like this but this is only a guess
http://filelibrary.myaasite.com/Cont...5/24421464.jpg
apartments, condos on top of shops with housing one street over
http://blog.mlive.com/followthemoney...e_Birkdale.jpg
Where are these 2 places? I'm looking for something like this as well.

Old 04-19-2009, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson919 View Post
Suburbs are towns.... Most people would agree with this. Apex is town. It is also a suburb of Raleigh. The definition of "burbs" you have presented here is atypical.

sub-burb

–noun 1. a district lying immediately outside a city or town, esp. a smaller residential community. 2. the suburbs, the area composed of such districts. 3. an outlying part.
suburb definition | Dictionary.com

Old 04-19-2009, 06:35 PM

387 posts, read 1,028,606 times
Quote:

sub-burb

–noun 1. a district lying immediately outside a city or town, esp. a smaller residential community. 2. the suburbs, the area composed of such districts. 3. an outlying part.
suburb definition | Dictionary.com
Suburbs are commonly defined as smaller residential communities lying immediately outside a city. In the United States, suburbs have a prevalence of usually detached single-family homes.
Suburb - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Apex is a town in Wake County, North Carolina, a suburb of Raleigh. The population was 20,212 at the 2000 census and estimated to be 31,453 in 2007.
Apex, North Carolina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Towns (not all towns) are suburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary