Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 01:43 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,831,844 times

Advertisements

OK, I know I keep coming back to this thread, but... I thought of another perspective.

While I think you can certainly enjoy yourself if you do your research and have the right mindset, the fact is that you will almost certainly come away with a negative impression of NC and the southeastern US in general. Folks on this forum generally like to be supportive of our state and region, and are trying to guide you away from doing something that will leave you with a negative impression.

Why will you get this negative impression? Well... you will wonder ...

... why, in this supposedly first-world country, in a state that's fairly densely populated (NC's desnity, 65/km2 is at least roughly comparable to that of Spain at 89/km2, for example) is it such a hardship to get around without a car?

... why do American cities, outside of their small, pre-war historic downtowns, seem so ugly, noisy, unfriendly, and overrun with pavement when you're on foot?

... why are drivers so oblivious and outright rude to pedestrians?

... why nobody seems to notice the failings and shortcomings of this system except you.

Well, my answer to the above is that public policy decisions in the postwar period encouraged, subsidized, and prioritized auto-dependency and neglect of inner cities. We got hooked on the comfort and ease of moving around in cars, and built everything - roads, stores, houses, schools, etc. to accommodate it at all costs. By now, the vast majority of people in the US have grown up knowing nothing else. However, the US's economy and currency were so much stronger than the rest of the world coming out of World War II that it seemed to be affordable and reasonable: the ticket to increased quality of life. But things have changed, and the relative strength of the US economy compared to the rest of the world is not what it once was. So the question remains, how long we can sustain this energy- and resource-intensive lifestyle that requires you to bring 3,000 pounds of steel and glass around with you everywhere you go? Will we continue to cling to it, all else be damned, or will we adapt - gradually, perhaps painfully, but effectively?

Anyway, this is all my perspective and there are a lot of people on this forum who don't agree - but hey! Just thought I'd share!

Last edited by orulz; 05-08-2009 at 02:13 PM.. Reason: Added last paragraph
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2009, 02:08 PM

4,478 posts, read 11,621,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orulz View Post
The thing is, when you drive, you interact with absolutely nobody, beyond certain "pleasant" gestures through the windows. You're in your air conditioned steel and glass isolation bubble the whole time. It's comfortable, quick, and easy - and given the distances and the awful layout of our cities, you can see why nearly everybody in the US who can afford to do so travels by car. But it's also very dehumanizing, and is unbelievably sterile. You see your destinations but almost completely miss everything in between because you're stuck staring at the brakelights of the driver in front of you.
Even when I rode public transportation quite often, I never viewed it as a way to meet people. I was on my way to/from work and while I'm sure I would have assisted a traveller who wanted to know which Metro stop to get off at, I never had long drawn out conversations with anyone.

If I was going to visit a new place I'd the use fastest most efficient transportation to get from place to place - and then AFTER arriving at my destination I'd talk to people. Go to a flea market, talk to the vendors and customers. Go to a local watering hole and chat it up with a friendly waitress. Go to a museum, talk to visitors/employees and get their impressions and recommendations for other sites to see. Those places seem much more conducive to "getting to know the locals" than time spent waiting on various local buses. But maybe that's just me and the OP really likes meeting people that way.

Anyhow, I'm sure the local transit does serve a need - and I definitely think it could be a lot better. A downtown Raleigh job I interviewed for would have been much more appealing if I could have used public transportation to get there from Apex every day!

Old 05-08-2009, 02:53 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,831,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post
Even when I rode public transportation quite often, I never viewed it as a way to meet people. I was on my way to/from work and while I'm sure I would have assisted a traveller who wanted to know which Metro stop to get off at, I never had long drawn out conversations with anyone.

If I was going to visit a new place I'd the use fastest most efficient transportation to get from place to place - and then AFTER arriving at my destination I'd talk to people.
I definitely see where you're coming from, IMO it's about your situation and mindset. If the trip there is just something standing between you and your destination, or if time is scarce, or for whatever reason, then very well. It's often like that for me, too: I usually don't take Amtrak when I'm going across the country, and I don't take the bus to work every day either.

But sometimes the journey is just as important as the destination itself.

Riding buses around here I've actually noticed a bit of camaraderie, at least on the TTA. Sort of like a shared "plight" - we're all riding buses in an area where bus service is mediocre and the city is built for cars. Of course there are plenty of people who don't care and would just as soon ignore you and their surroundings, but the camaraderie is definitely there, particularly among those who are on the bus by choice.

Perhaps my experience is unique, or maybe I'm just crazy, but I've heard similar things about the new light rail in Charlotte, and I experience it every time I ride Amtrak in NC, too. Somehow, sometimes, it brings people together.

FWIW, that same camaraderie seems to be less prevalent in places where transit use is more of an every day thing.

Old 05-09-2009, 12:58 AM

8 posts, read 19,712 times
Try the TTA (triangle), CAT (raleigh?), or DATA (durham) buses.

Old 06-02-2009, 05:34 PM

6 posts, read 11,172 times
Default Hello Raleigh! :)

Dear Raleighans (Raleighers?!?)
I have finally visited your city and YES, I did manage to go around just by public transport! Obviously it did take more time and organization cos you need to arrange the day according to the bus schedule, but still I went to all the museums, shopping centers and art galleries available. I left my heart in the Artspace studio, I was amused by the local passion for dragon tattoos and giggled at the sight of the flourishing bottoms of some ladies. They're just gorgeous! Well, my unordinary holiday in the triangle is almost over, I'm off to Wilmington and the emerald island. I'll be heading there with a rented car though,and that's just because there's no bus at all over there! If I bumped into you today and asked you many questions, well, thanks again for your help! tlc, momix
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary