Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 11:11 AM

6 posts, read 19,925 times

Advertisements

+1 on the comments regarding compensation. I think it goes without saying that you'll probably taking a bit of a salary hit due to the lower cost of living in this area. My assumption is that you have already taken that into account.

Although I hate to agree with a State alum, I also think you should put your NC address on your resume. I would also get that Verizon Wireless account that you probably have switched to a (919) area code and put that phone number on your resume.

Lastly, perhaps its time to look into a headhunter or a contracting company like Matrix Resources or something like that. Contract work may not be ideal, but it will at least get you down here full time, which I think woudl be a step in the right direction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2007, 11:26 AM

4 posts, read 10,850 times
yes it is a North/.South thing. You don't klnow how many times my family and I heard "oh your a Yankee too!!!" I found a job sooner than my husband when we relocated from Maryland and I was here by myself too!!! Then my kids came then my husband. It was tough but hang in there it will happen. Make sure you are putting all local info on your apps. Since you are already commutting think about surrounding cities in Raleigh at least you can come home to your family at night. It might be a drive but ther're worth it!!!! Good luck my yankee friend!!!!

Old 04-06-2007, 12:11 PM

23 posts, read 94,236 times
Thumbs up Jobs!!

There is no bias. Employers prefer local candidates because of the reasons mentioned before. You will get calls once you move here. Here's an idea... get an IP phone (Comcast, Vonage etc.) with Raleigh number (919) and put that along with your NC address on your resume.

Old 04-06-2007, 05:08 PM

65 posts, read 267,181 times
Default Brooklyn, NY to Raleigh, NC

I had to respond to this. Yes, it is true you must use a NC address and nit your NY address. I had a home built in 9/06 and will be moving in 7/07. My husband and I have been applying for jobs since our home was being built and no one has yet to call my husband back. He works in the hospital/healthcare field. I am a social worker in the social services field and I have been on 2 interviews and nothing. We too was using our ny address and telephone number, but we started using the nc address and nc cell phone. It is very hard to land jobs in NC as oppose to NY because we have City test and you are called according to your score. Inc you have a panel of people interviewing you. I wish you Good Luck in your job search and us as well.

Old 04-06-2007, 10:25 PM

11 posts, read 43,215 times
Lightbulb NY to NC -jobs, jobs, & jobs (THANK YOU)

I first want to say thank you, to all that replied to my thread. You guys gave me some food for thought. Here is a little more info about me. I've worked with computers for a very long time. Doing things like operations, programming (many moons ago). However what I've done recently (last 10 yrs) is network/desktop support. Maybe I need a few certs under my belt. The A+ won't cut it. I worked for some good companies in the past (EDS, MCI, and Underwriters Laboratories (UL) )

Anyway, in reference to my resume: Yes I do use my NC addy / phone But I still have a NYC cell phone, I need to change that. I tell my wife if someone calls to give them my cell #, but that tells them I'm out-of-state. Time for a Pre-paid phone.

I'm now thinking to change the time period on my current job from 10/02 - Present to something like (10/02 - 02/07). What do you think?

Compensation I was asking for 50k, but it seems I should bring it down to 40k? The reason for the 50k, I know that my wife will be home at least another 2 yrs with the twins before she gets back to work, her profession is teaching.

I'm a little scared about contract jobs, since I do have a family and health benefits is very important to me. Not sure how benefits work with contract jobs. I know contracts would get me me to NC quicker, but I always have in the back of my mind what if one of my children or my wife took sick.

Again, I want to thank everyone that gave me some input. With the input I can make some strategic moves that would help me with my job search.

Old 04-06-2007, 11:45 PM

108 posts, read 397,374 times
takylo,

Very odd, but my husband and I seem to be in the exact same occupational situation you are in. My husband has been doing desktop support for Kaiser Permanente under contract for the past two years and at other companies for many years before that. I am a high school English teacher. He is also concerned with finding work in the area. My in-laws moved to Wake Forest in October 06 so we are using their address on our resumes, but I think we are going to switch over the area code on our cell phones as well. Please let me know what works for you in finding a job. Good luck.

Old 04-07-2007, 10:29 AM

Location: Between a nook-a-ler reactor and a dump, North Cackalacky
283 posts, read 1,259,687 times
Some may disagree or not like to hear this, but desktop support is a commodity job. Our company, for example, can pick from among dozens or hundreds of interns or new grads and pay less than what you're seeking. My previous employer was the same way, and many of my professional acquaintances at other companies say the same.

I don't mean to discourage anyone, but we can hire an intern for $18/hr or a new grad for $33k and get high quality.

If you have a specialty or some key skills you can highlight, or have other experiences that would tie in (ie project management, budgeting, QA), or even certifications, that will help better position you.

Old 04-07-2007, 01:11 PM

41 posts, read 152,448 times
Wow-my hopes of finding employment in the area are seriously being dashed after reading these posts. I live in Ohio but desire to move my family to Raleigh. I was planning to apply for a position at Duke Health system. But-from what I'm reading I may not stand a chance of even getting a call. Is this really true? I work in healthcare finance & feel I'm very qualified for several senior analyst positions at Duke. Should I even bother?

Old 04-07-2007, 03:20 PM

193 posts, read 245,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zipscott View Post
Wow-my hopes of finding employment in the area are seriously being dashed after reading these posts....Should I even bother?
Why are your hopes dashed? You can learn a lot from the original poster's mistakes. First, don't buy a house in NC before you have a job in NC. Second, use your network to get inside info on dook health (and other jobs) before you apply.

Old 04-07-2007, 06:20 PM

312 posts, read 1,905,200 times
Hi! I was in the same situation just like your's. I couldn't understand why until I found out AFTER I moved to Clayton. Most companies don't want to hire people who haven't move yet. They prefer to hire someone who's already in town.

For your IT background, you might want to check out with IT temp agency and in most case, they do offer a temp to perm jobs if they think you're a good worker. For now, you could try freelancing to support your finance.

One more thing, don't buy a house yet. Best way to do is to rent first. Most families in Raleigh are doing this way. I have to warn you - be prepared for booked apartments/extended stay motels. It's best to make a deposit early to reserve the place. We put our furniture and stuff in a temporary storage, which cost us $150 a month. We don't have to worry about moving "twice". My family and I stayed in an extended stay motel and we bought a house few months later, not too far from my workplace.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary