Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2009, 07:36 PM

10 posts, read 23,742 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are planning a visit to the Raleigh/Durham area in late August. This is a visit to see if we would like to relocate to the area in the future. I was wondering if anyone had some restaurant suggestions. We don't go for the gourmet upscale, just good food.
We have to have good Chinese food, no cheap buffet crap, good Mexican food, a tasty burger, and any other suggestions you folks might have.

We are looking also for some cool shops to visit. We would like to avoid chain stores. We love art and music.

We have a two year old son, so any child friendly attractions would be helpful as well. Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2009, 08:40 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,096,578 times
We like Sawasdee (sawasdeerestaurant.com) in Raleigh. It's Thai, not Chinese, and is on Capital Boulevard. But you might like it. It's a tiny restaurant, and the food and service are excellent. You might also like NeoChina (Chinese) on Glenwood Avenue.

If I had a 2-year-old, I'd go to Triangle Town Center and go to the little indoor playground. It's free, and kids crawl and run all over it. They LOVE it. It's a wonderful resource.

Then, at the same mall, I'd go outside the food court and (assuming you had a change of clothing for your child), have the toddler play in the water fountains that pop out of the ground. Last summer, they were mere trickles due to the drought, I guess, but usually in the summer, the fountains go up 5 or 6 feet, and it's a riot watching the little kids chase them. Also free. Over the years, I would have paid for the playground and the fountains; the kids have always had a great time. http://www.professionaltravelguide.com/Destinations/Raleigh/See-and-Do/Shopping/Stores/Shopping-Areas/Triangle-Town-Center-p1794637 (broken link)

You might want to visit Pullen Park. I know it's going to close for a year for renovations, but I don't know when. It has a carousel and a train.
http://www.raleigh-nc.org/portal/server.pt/gateway/PTARGS_0_2_306_209_0_43/http%3B/pt03/DIG_Web_Content/category/Leisure/Parks_and_Facilities/Pullen_Park/Cat-1C-2005308-090933-Pullen_Amusements.html (broken link)

(http://www.raleigh-nc.org/portal/server.pt/gateway/PTARGS_0_0_306_209_0_43/http;/pt03/DIG_Web_Content/category/Leisure/Parks_and_Facilities/Pullen_Park/Cat-Index.html - broken link)

Last edited by lovebrentwood; 05-11-2009 at 08:49 PM..

Old 05-11-2009, 11:04 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
Duck and Dumpling at Moore Square for Chinese in DT Raleigh. I also like a tiny restaurant in Hayes Barton called Red Dragon for Chinese take out or dine in. For burgers, try Char-Grill on Hillsborough St. in Raleigh for a really old school burger experience. There are other Char-Grills in the area but this one has charm to go with the made to order burgers.
As for Mexican, I'll let others answer. I am not too discriminating when it come to Mexican. I like it all.
For your kid, try Pullen Park in Raleigh where you can ride the train around the park or ride one of the oldest carosels in the US. You can also visit Marbles Children's Museum in downtown Raleigh.
Raleigh has tons of parks as well and you might enjoy some nature or activities in one of them. Good luck.
BTW, August is the HOTTEST month to visit. If you can stand it then, you'll be fine living here.

Old 05-12-2009, 06:33 AM

55 posts, read 144,968 times
These responses are in Chapel Hill/Carrboro:

For Mexican food-Los Potrillos, Margaret's Cantina, La Hacienda

Margaret's Cantina - 1129 Weaver Dairy Road Chapel Hill - 942-4745
La Hacienda 1813 Fordham Blvd Chapel Hill NC 27514 (919) 967-0207 TalkingPhoneBook.com

For burgers- The Loop

The Loop Pizza Grill

Another suggestion if you like or want to try Southern food- Mama Dips on Rosemary St in CH. Also for ice cream, try Maple View Farms. There is one across from Weaver St. market and the lawn. There is another on the west side of Chapel Hill off Dairyland Rd.

Welcome to Maple View Farm
Mama Dip's Country Cooking Restaurant

For art and music, check out the ArtsCenter for the dates you will be in the area. Also Weaver St. has music on lawn some nights. Also the Carolina Inn has had music previous summers.

The ArtsCenter - Always Inspiring
A neat store to visit in Chapel Hill is A Southern Season.
A Southern Season, award-winning source for gourmet gift baskets and fancy foods.

Some kids friendly attractions- the Museum of Life and Science in Durham, Kidzu in Chapel Hill. Pullen Park in Raleigh is a lot of fun.

Hope you have a great visit.

Old 05-12-2009, 06:59 AM

355 posts, read 958,110 times
For real Szechuan Chinese, try Super Wok on the eastern edge of Cary. Ask for the Chinese/English menu (this is important, otherwise you'll get the typical Anglo-Chinese menu of orange chicken, etc.). It's just a strip mall place, but it's some of the best Chinese I've had (including what I've had in China). The word is now out as the local paper gave it four stars.

Also, try chowhound for the foodies' suggestions (this is where I originally learned about Super Wok).

Old 05-18-2009, 07:02 AM

10 posts, read 23,742 times
I appreciate the suggestions. Thank you everyone.

Old 05-18-2009, 07:52 AM

757 posts, read 2,083,364 times
I agree with the Loop. It's a very kid friendly place and the food is great too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary