Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2006, 12:36 AM

2 posts, read 3,446 times

Advertisements

Hello all. This is my first post here, prompted by my wife who has been reading up the area here for awhile now. Obviously I'm interested in the Raleigh-Durham area, but I think some background would help give some direction.

I've always considered NC my second home (first was Florida) as I was growing up. When I was much younger my grandparents lived in Greens Creek (near Sylva) and then later in Waynesville, where I went to grade school at for a couple years.

The wife and I have been talking for awhile now and we've been wanting to move back to the East coast (she has family in Maryland and Delaware, and we both lived in Virginia at different times). North Carolina has always seemed to be a good choice as it's close enough to a lot of our family and we want to be in an area where a day's trip would offer any number of things to do.

We currently live in Oklahoma with our three kids (ages 1, 7, and 9), the eldest of which has Down Syndrome. So a good school district with a better than average special needs program is pretty well a must. We are also younger aged parents (I am 27), but we would prefer a community of like and relatively older families.

I currently work from home as a software/graphic designer for a Japanese development firm. So I currently don't require being near any one area that caters to my chosen profession; however, being a max of 30 or 45 minutes away from such an area would be nice. The one work related requirement I do have is access to reliable high speed internet (cable or DSL).

I guess you could say we're a medium income family, as only I work. As such we're looking for 3 or 4 bedroom homes in the $120-$160k range. I'd prefer to stay on the lower side of that as it's just nice to have that much extra spending money, but we want a decently nice place. I say 3 or 4 bedroom because I would like to get a place that has a separate room or area that I could use as an office space. We have two girls and a boy, so we really only need two rooms for the three of them.

If anyone has some suggestions or information on some of the things we're looking for, I'd greatly appreciate it. Apologies for the rambling on
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2006, 04:19 PM

2 posts, read 3,446 times
Going on the assumption that this missed the view of those with some insight... *bump*

Old 07-11-2006, 07:45 AM

1,531 posts, read 7,408,757 times
Saw it earlier but wasn't really sure how to answer. I'll give it a go...

For one, you mention wanting a school system that offers decent support for special needs children. Then you're probably going to really need one of the urban counties: Wake County, Durham County or Orange County schools. Any of the outlying school districts will most likely have much less to offer in that regard.

But on the flip side your price range will be hard to find a single-family house of 3+ bedrooms in those areas for that low of a price. Condo or townhouse, maybe, but single family houses will be restricted somewhat. Durham is considerably more affordable than Raleigh, Chapel Hill or Cary, due to its history/stereotype of being a more blue-collar town (although that hasn't been the case in decades). Have an open mind, and you might find some really nice places to live there.
Or if you prefer a smaller town, Hillsborough is certainly on the more affordable side... and is part of Orange County. So it might be worth checking out as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary