Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2009, 08:40 PM

7 posts, read 29,364 times

Advertisements

We found several houses that we like that are near railroad tracks in Fuquay and Willow Springs. I can't seem to locate the train schedule for this area. Does anyone know when the freight trains come through this area?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2009, 08:47 PM

43,297 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meredithgirl View Post
We found several houses that we like that are near railroad tracks in Fuquay and Willow Springs. I can't seem to locate the train schedule for this area. Does anyone know when the freight trains come through this area?

Thanks!
Freight runs on a loose schedule, but you may be able to get some input from the Engineering and Safety folks at NCDOT Rail Division.
I have spoken with Drew Thomas in the past, but others may also be able to help.
If they give you any schedule, they will fully disclaim that the RR companies may add or reduce traffic, at any hour of the day, as they see the need.

Old 05-26-2009, 06:51 AM

44 posts, read 96,304 times
Default Which neighborhoods are you looking at?

The neighborhood may or may not make a difference regardless of the schedule.

Old 05-26-2009, 07:42 AM

450 posts, read 1,351,048 times
I only hear the trains once or twice a day at most, and not on a consistent schedule - usually once between 7 and 10 pm, I want to say, and occasionally once during the day (I'm home all day), or later at night, but where I am it's not overly loud - doesn't wake me or my children, etc. I can hear it in my house if everything else is quiet, but barely, and I don't even notice it most of the time. It depends on how close you are to the tracks, if there are trees between you and the tracks, etc. (I don't even really know how close I am to the tracks as the crow flies)

Old 06-20-2009, 03:27 AM

888 posts, read 1,591,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meredithgirl View Post

Thanks!
It's a lightly used freight railroad owned by the Norfolk Southern, it's a branch line running to Fayetteville. If i'd say there's max 2-4 trains a day running on a loose daylight schedule, i wouldn't be far from the truth. Of course, this can change anytime. Is there a railroad crossing nearby the houses you are looking? The trains have to sound their horns at those, and they can be a nuicanse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary