Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 08:58 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,869,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfishGumbo View Post
Funny this thread came up because margaritas are my new favorite drink. I used to like the florescent green frozen concoctions most people think about when they order a margarita. I was recently educated as to what a classic margarita cocktail is all about, and I am HOOKED. In fact, I'm not sure I'll ever be able to order a margarita from a restaurant again unless I instruct the bartender on the correct way to make my drink.

2 parts tequila
1 part triple sec
1 part fresh squeezed lime juice

and if you prefer your margaritas on the sweet side, 1 part simple syrup.

Rub the rim of your glass with a lime and dip it in sea salt.

Pure Perfection.

And I don't use that phrase lightly.

(For those Grand Marnier fans out there, I prefer triple sec. Grand Marnier produces a margarita with a muddy tinge .... not particularly appetizing imo. But I'm sure they taste fabulous as well.)
Yes, this style blows away the frozen stuff. However, it's not complete without the juice of a fresh squeezed orange...yummy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2011, 07:31 AM

205 posts, read 487,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
Yes, this style blows away the frozen stuff. However, it's not complete without the juice of a fresh squeezed orange...yummy!
How much orange juice? It does sound yummy, but I wouldn't want the tartness depleted and it seems like the addition of orange juice would do that.

Old 01-22-2011, 08:56 AM

1,495 posts, read 3,720,841 times
I love Mello Mushroom's Margie!

Old 01-22-2011, 09:06 AM

4,532 posts, read 8,869,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfishGumbo View Post
How much orange juice? It does sound yummy, but I wouldn't want the tartness depleted and it seems like the addition of orange juice would do that.
You are a connossieur I make it by the pitcher as I'm usually making it for friends. If you were to make enough for 1-2 drinks, I'd figure 1/2 orange per drink. I also love lime but not sweet drinks. I find the orange makes it more refreshing and goes well with the lime.

Old 01-22-2011, 09:57 AM

748 posts, read 1,375,869 times
The perfect Patron Margarita! an ounce of Patron, an ounce of Patron Citron (orange liqueor), 2 ounces of lime juice.....simple and so yummy!

Old 01-22-2011, 10:22 AM

351 posts, read 770,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Reps for all!

I will check those places out. In the meantime, I had some awesome margaritas at the new Shuckers location in Wake Forest Yesterday. I had their "One Shucked Up Margarita" and it was excellent. Not a bad price either at $4.99. The best part was that when I ordered my second drink they informed me they had run out of Cuervo but would make my drink with the more expensive Patron Tequilla for the same price. That was one fine drink!
Funny thing - when Gatehouse Tavern in Wake Forest first opened they had 1/2 price on all 'ritas on Wednesday. So we went 3 weeks in a row and enjoyed Patrons for $4.25.

They ran out of Patron each week. So week 4 they changed it to Cuervo only. I guess all good things have to come to and end.

Old 01-22-2011, 01:35 PM

1,335 posts, read 3,149,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I need a good Margarita! Where should I go in Raleigh?
Terminal 2 at RDU. Get a flight to Tucson. (I just came from there, and the folks in Tucson take their Tequilla very seriously!!!!)

I have not read all the other responses, and I'm not a huge Margarita fanatic, but I make mine at home too. House is Tequila, Triple Sec, Roses Lime and a little fresh OJ. You can replace the Triple Sec with Grand Marnier, or the Roses with Sour Mix.

The OJ is probably not traditional, but it makes for a really good/drinkable drink. (Get fresh squeezed).

My guess is that you can also get great recipes for Marg's in the food forum...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary