Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 06:05 PM

87 posts, read 165,864 times

Advertisements

I have a friend that is into the southern stuff, flags and all that stuff, even though the Dixie flag has bad connotations in some parts of the country. Where can you buy those kinda things?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2009, 06:11 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,149,679 times
It's not my cup of tea, but I've seen it at the Flea Market in Raleigh at the Fairgrounds (Saturday and Sunday)

Old 05-30-2009, 06:22 PM

1,627 posts, read 6,505,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMcGoff View Post
I have a friend that is into the southern stuff, flags and all that stuff, even though the Dixie flag has bad connotations in some parts of the country. Where can you buy those kinda things?
I think the confederate flag has bad connotations in EVERY part of the country.

Old 05-30-2009, 06:50 PM

1,190 posts, read 4,049,887 times
Default reply

It does not with me and should not. My great great grandad and many other proud southern men fought for southern independence and their individual states rights. Very few who fought owned slaves. Why should we southerners not be able to celebrate our heritage. History is what it is. There have been a lot of bad things that have happened under the US Flag. Does that mean we should be ashamed of it too? I will NEVER turn my back on my proud southern heritage. Deo Vindice.

Old 05-30-2009, 07:02 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,397,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncletupelo View Post
It does not with me and should not. My great great grandad and many other proud southern men fought for southern independence and their individual states rights. Very few who fought owned slaves. Why should we southerners not be able to celebrate our heritage. History is what it is. There have been a lot of bad things that have happened under the US Flag. Does that mean we should be ashamed of it too? I will NEVER turn my back on my proud southern heritage. Deo Vindice.
I agree with uncletupelo. When I see that flag, I do not think of slavery. The first thing that comes to my mind is the south. The home of honest, hard working and genuine people. I think of it as pride in the south, current day south as well. I do not think most people with that flag are holding on to it wishing they had a slave. I think it is history and we should never try to bury or rewrite history. Actually, I really wish our leaders would pay attention to history more than they do.

Old 05-30-2009, 07:12 PM

1,190 posts, read 4,049,887 times
Default reply

try rebelstore.com and tell your friend to fly it with pride for ole Dixieland.

Old 05-31-2009, 06:45 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,942,559 times
I can resist the urge to contribute to the off-topic tack this thread is taking.

The connotations carried by the Confederate flag are not simply those derived from mid-19th century slavery and the Civil War, but more strongly the use and symbolism the flag was given in the 1950s and 60s in response to the civil rights movement and desegregation efforts. When taken up and flown as a symbol of racial hatred, any "proud history" it may have once represented was forever tainted.

Old 05-31-2009, 07:15 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,227,920 times
OK..this has gone so far off topic...but what the hey...

I was thinking of instituting a CHEROKEE NATION FLAG DAY to honor my g-g-g-parents and cousins and other relatives who did or did not complete the TRAIL of TEARS marathon.

SRY...back to the OP topic..

Not sure, but how about JR in Smithfield and Burlington?

Lots of battle flag paraphernalia there I do believe..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:CS...1-1.5.1863.svg

As well as some GREAT cigars...

This Cherokee Braves flag was used by Cherokee Confederate troops, in the 1860's as part of the Indian cavalry carried battle flags adapted from the first Confederate Flag.
It consists of the original Stars and Bars, with five red stars in the center of the white stars.
These red stars represented the Five Civilized Tribes, who were aligned with the Confederacy.
The center red star represented the Cherokee Nation.

http://www.flagandbanner.com/fab/zoo...s/HCHER35C.jpg

The one on the left has a yellow field with the seal of the Cherokee Nation in the center. This is the only instance that two bands of the same tribes use the same symbol in their flag (with slight variations.)

http://www.flagandbanner.com/fab/zoo...es/cuceb35.jpg

The one on the right has an orange field and is bordered by a red and green rope motif.
The central seal is the seal for the Cherokee Nation.
Surrounding the seal is 7 stars to represent the 7 original colonies.
The black star in the upper-hand right corner represents is for those who died in the Trail of Tears.
This flag is used by Cherokees in the state of Oklahoma.

http://www.flagandbanner.com/fab/zoo...ges/cuco35.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Where to buy "Southern" touristy gear?-cherokee.jpg   Where to buy "Southern" touristy gear?-cherokee2.jpg  

Last edited by zthatzmanz28; 05-31-2009 at 07:56 AM..

Old 05-31-2009, 12:06 PM

87 posts, read 165,864 times
Yeah, I am sorry to bring this weird one up. He is a guy who used to identify with the Italian side of his family, now he is going towards his Southern roots...whatever. He has a new house so I thought I'd get him something. Next I'll be on here asking where to buy something for his newest identity- maybe it'll be a tea set from England...

Old 05-31-2009, 12:30 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,454,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncletupelo View Post
It does not with me and should not. My great great grandad and many other proud southern men fought for southern independence and their individual states rights.
What you meant to say is they fought for white supremacy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary