Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 01:50 PM

146 posts, read 910,019 times

Advertisements

I am planning to move to NC from NJ. I can't stand this state any longer or the people in it.

I am looking in the Raleigh/Cary/Apex/Garner area and I need some feedback on new construction homes? What builders are reputable? Which are terrible?

I am looking to spend $180k to $220k.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2007, 02:36 PM

1,485 posts, read 4,157,956 times
Default Also moved from NJ

I am in the Fuquay/Holly Springs area. In that price range you would be buying a new home that is a tract home. That only means that they dont customize homes by moving wall and just may limit your choices. You will hear bad things about all builders if you ask enough people.

I have heard lots of bad things about KB but like I said above...

I came from a house built in the 70's and the new construction is horrible (not just here) quality unless you are building custom and know about building a home and control materials that know one else thinks oven (. Even the "custom" homes here that are built in the 350's and up still arent bult well because they are just built with alot of eye candy.

Most important advice:
Talk to people that have been living in a subdivision that you ar interested in and see how problems are corrected by the builders there and how people feel about their houses. Dont trust a builders words at all, only what is in writing matters and even then fighting with lawyers sometimes happens. You will love the area but note that alot of notherners have moved here already.

Old 01-12-2007, 02:40 PM

567 posts, read 2,142,859 times
Default builders

Centex builds in the Triangle area. You may want to google them. There are a lot of lawsuits against them throughout the country.

Old 01-12-2007, 02:45 PM

146 posts, read 910,019 times
Default Centex

Centex builds here in NJ. I went to go look at them. They are built like crap. I know.

Old 01-12-2007, 04:40 PM

567 posts, read 2,142,859 times
That, and they contribute to erosion and pollution in the areas surrounding their homesites!

Old 01-12-2007, 05:27 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,301,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin1264 View Post
That, and they contribute to erosion and pollution in the areas surrounding their homesites!
Sadly I think just about everybuilder in this area contributes to this problem. If you see someone blatantly violating local erosion control measures you can always report them to the state by calling 1-866-StopMud (786-7683)

Old 01-12-2007, 07:55 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,599,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ-FROM-NJ View Post
I am planning to move to NC from NJ. I can't stand this state any longer or the people in it.

I am looking in the Raleigh/Cary/Apex/Garner area and I need some feedback on new construction homes? What builders are reputable? Which are terrible?

I am looking to spend $180k to $220k.
You can't stand NJ or people from NJ?......Then I don't think Cary or Apex is the place for you. There are probably more people in both of those towns who were born in NJ than were born in NC. You will feel like you never left. (and $180k to $220k really won't get you that much house here any more).

Old 01-15-2007, 09:12 AM

546 posts, read 2,418,450 times
Default small builder recommendation

You should check out Robin J. Farkas Homes. He is an excellent custom builder. His homes are very high quality and he is very easy to work with. He also has a remodel division and my friends used him to add a sunroom. They were very happy with his company. Good luck!

Old 01-15-2007, 10:22 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,855,964 times
Color me confused! When I saw the negative comments about Centex I went looking for some supporting information and found just the contrary. They are highly rated everywhere I looked and to quote from an article on the 2006 JD Powers survey, "Pulte Homes and Centex Homes come out smelling like roses in sawdust." They also are very environmentally conscious - "The Centex Homes Land Legacy Fund is a national program established solely for the purpose of conserving some of America’s precious natural habitats. Dallas-based Centex Homes is leading the home building industry in making conservation a priority. Since 1999, the company and its divisions have contributed more than $5 million for land conservation initiatives, resulting in more than 18,000 acres of critical habitat saved. Centex Homes is one of the nation's leading home builders, operating in more than 90 U.S. markets in 26 states. Its brands include Centex Homes, entry-level builder Fox & Jacobs Homes, on-your-lot builder Wayne Homes and resort/second home builder Centex Destination Properties."
They are also involved in building "green" and none of this sounds like a shoddy builder building "crap" homes. We toured several of their properties when we were there in October and found them to be a quality builder and one that we are very seriously considering when we move to Raleigh.

Old 01-15-2007, 11:32 AM

1,726 posts, read 5,864,554 times
I don't understand why people insist on new construction. There are many issues with buying new tract homes. The quality of the structure is not evident because it is brand new and has not had time to settle in. With existing homes, you can spot signs of flood damage, overly noisy creaking subfloors, and other issues and make an informed decision. With new construction, your "shiny and new house" will only be that way for a few years and then anything is up for grabs, especially with the cheap materials most modern builders use. Then you have the problem of all new construction being located on the fringes of the urban area. I'd rather have a house closer to the conveniences of urban/suburban living. Pre-construction houses also tend to have larger lots, more mature trees in the neighborhood (many of them were also built without bulldozing all the trees in the community, so you will sometimes find hundred year old trees surrounding you providing shade and preventing erosion). You can also often avoid living in an HOA neighborhood, which has few negative aspects in Cary because the town government itself has very strict codes against junk cars and unkempt lawns. Oh, and you won't be living surrounded by construction noise for years.

Just food for thought!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary