Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 05:27 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,106,471 times

Advertisements

Newcomers are more diverse in their beliefs.

NC natives, not so much.

In the past, I wish I hadn't been so honest with my beliefs with Southern relatives. It would have been easier to just nod and smile versus arguing with them about me being saved (them "helping" me to become saved). They don't take "No, but thank you very much for your concern" for an answer.

Thank goodness we're not in Utah. You should read some of THOSE posts on city-data about non-religious people moving in to Mormon neighborhoods. Fascinating.

Old 06-09-2009, 05:27 PM

502 posts, read 1,393,842 times
Well it's a big relief so far that what I experienced is not a usual thing here amongst non-religious peope. I will let her be embarassed for me if it makes her feel better by "keeping it a secret" from the other people around here that I'm not a Christian. I will try to keep it a secret from other people I haven't met yet in the neighborhood that she's a nosey nutjob

Old 06-09-2009, 05:33 PM

460 posts, read 1,275,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
Newcomers are more diverse in their beliefs.

NC natives, not so much.
I think you forgot the "some" in front of those two sentences.
You really should have met more of the ITB hubby's relatives before that walk down the aisle.(or were they dousing you with holy water from the pews?)

Old 06-09-2009, 05:35 PM

334 posts, read 626,726 times
I think there are more and more educated people that just can't believe in the talking snake, or that we roamed the earth with packs of T-rex. I have been engaged in conversation on this sbject before. I told them i didn't believe in organised religion. I told them we both started from the same place. They don't know the answers, and I don't either.
End of conversation. LOL>

Old 06-09-2009, 05:39 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,549,139 times
I am an NC native. I lived in the midwest and moved back here 7 years ago and the only time I have been asked "what church do you attend?" was at a wedding and maybe one time from a neighbor. No one cares - at least - no one around me. So I dunno . . . I have never noticed whether any of my neighbors leave out on Sunday morning to attend church or not. Couldn't tell you what religion any of them are (or if they are atheists) except the one couple who invited us to attend their church (and that was just a kind gesture to try to connect w/ us as newcomers). I am in Charlotte, but my parents lived in Apex for a while and I really cannot fathom people in that region saying much about religion out of the clear blue - or "blackballing" you for not attending a church. I have cousins in Raleigh and Durham and they do not attend church . . .and are happy, successful people w/ friends, LOL!! I think the others have it right - you have a nutcase for a neighbor. NOSEY nutcase on top of it. You need to just avoid her as much as possible.

Old 06-09-2009, 05:56 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,106,471 times
Man, I meant to. I really did.

(Add "some" and then "some" to my earlier statements.)

I met and then married my husband within three months (15 years ago, so miracles do happen!). All the relatives were on their best behavior during those three months!

We married in the backyard under the trees, by the water, and my cousin the minister married us. It was the best kind of church.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveraleigh View Post
I think you forgot the "some" in front of those two sentences.
You really should have met more of the ITB hubby's relatives before that walk down the aisle.(or were they dousing you with holy water from the pews?)

Old 06-09-2009, 06:01 PM

460 posts, read 1,275,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
Man, I meant to. I really did.

(Add "some" and then "some" to my earlier statements.)

I met and then married my husband within three months (15 years ago, so miracles do happen!). All the relatives were on their best behavior during those three months!

We married in the backyard under the trees, by the water, and my cousin the minister married us. It was the best kind of church.
3 months...I bet the biddies were a'cackalin'.
"oooooh, that 'fast' Yankee' done went and worked her charms on our boy"

Congrats! and I agree...perfect church!

Old 06-09-2009, 06:12 PM

502 posts, read 1,393,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveraleigh View Post
"oooooh, that 'fast' Yankee' done went and worked her charms on our boy"
hahaha

Old 06-09-2009, 06:26 PM

24 posts, read 70,622 times
Love the outdoor church.

I'd tell you about my recent experiences with a 'good Christian' woman but I'm afraid I'd be sued if she ever saw the post even if I kept it vague. I did inform her after one absolutely insane conversation that it did not matter what religion you were as long as you were a good person and treated people right. She proceeded to enlighten me sternly and I ended the conversation shortly. I probably shouldn't have laughed so hard - I may have hurt her feelings. But she gave "Christians" a bad name by her actions.

I consider myself spiritual not religious. It is what is in your heart - not what label it's given.

Miz

Old 06-09-2009, 07:02 PM

133 posts, read 425,293 times
Thanks for creating this thread. We just moved here from Philly last friday and have met a few people asking what religion we are and etc. I have felt a bit uncomfortable and concerned what our future neighbors will be like when we buy a house. My husband grew up Catholic, but is an atheist and i am not religious. One lady i met, said her son's teacher called Obama the antichrist. Scary!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary