Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 04:25 PM

502 posts, read 1,392,602 times

Advertisements

New here in these parts. Neighbor came over to introduce herself today while I was outside. Usual chit-chat, nice lady. I forgot how we got onto the topic, but when she found out I don't go to church and am not a Christian, she said, "you can't be nothing here, this is the bible belt... I'm not real religious, but we go to church or else our kids wouldn't be accepted here". Then she went on that I should keep it a secret that I'm not religious, and I forgot how she exactly put it, but basically meant we'd be blacklisted.

First of all, if the Triangle is going to experience all this growth, and diversity, people here are going to have to be a bit more tolerant and polite/respectful for people's private lives. This is the 21st century.

Secondly, I have no respect for someone who needs to be someone they're not, in order to be accepted. I am too nice a person to have told her that to her face.

Just because someone doesn't go to church, or is not a member of a church, does not mean that person is immoral or has nothing to contribute to society, or needs to be changed/is not fine the way they are.

So what exactly happens, is my mailbox going to get bashed in now?? Am I not going to be invited for cucumber sandwiches?? Fill me in...

Old 06-09-2009, 04:37 PM

4,265 posts, read 11,425,505 times
We're not religious at all...we're not Christian...we're not anything and we really haven't encountered any animosity from the folks we've met. I was raised Jewish, my husband was raised Catholic but we do not practice anything. We were the only ones on our block with no Christmas decorations this past winter. We've been accepted and have a great group of friends. Granted, our kids are grown so that aspect does not affect us. I'm sure you will meet plenty of folks who respect and value you as people, not as members of a particular faith.

Old 06-09-2009, 04:38 PM

460 posts, read 1,274,502 times
From crazy cat ladies to religious zealots to stinky noxious sinks...you sure have an interesting neighborhood.
If its true...one person does not represent an entire area. Try to remember that when the next neighbor comes over and asks if you like black ppl.
And if a person goes to church just for their child's acceptance...they have more problems than worrying about going to heaven.

ETA - As a non religious person that has lived in NC most my life....NEVER been asked about religion or church.

Last edited by daveraleigh; 06-09-2009 at 05:11 PM..

Old 06-09-2009, 04:39 PM

451 posts, read 1,654,177 times
Here's some good advice: "Don't talk to crazy people."

Dude, that lady is crazy. Go about your life like you always have. If people don't want to hang with you because of your religion, or lack thereof, then F-'em. Besides, you most likely don't want to socialize with them either.

Personally, I haven't experienced anything negative, nor even had the subject broached. In SC it was often the "ice breaker" with the real Charleston locals. "What church do you go to?" I would just say that I haven't found one (wasn't looking, either), they would recommend theirs, then the rest of the conversation would proceed.

I wouldn't stress over the ramblings of a crazy lady. How many cats does she have?

Old 06-09-2009, 04:40 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,844,425 times
it's almost like the people who relocate to NC live in another world. I have never had someone ask me what church I went to. where are you people hanging out? ihop on sundays?

Old 06-09-2009, 04:42 PM

Looks like maybe I'm getting the worst of everything upfront in my first month here... from fire ants to nosy judgmental neighbors

Old 06-09-2009, 04:44 PM

PS I have a cat and I'm not crazy, honest

Old 06-09-2009, 04:53 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,844,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itscolduphere View Post
Looks like maybe I'm getting the worst of everything upfront in my first month here... from fire ants to nosy judgmental neighbors
fire ants are no joke. they will cause you much more pain than the phantom religious nuts. if you don't like getting asked about religion, tell the people asking that you are god. they tend not to talk to you too much after that.

Old 06-09-2009, 04:56 PM

1,561 posts, read 5,159,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itscolduphere View Post
New here in these parts. Neighbor came over to introduce herself today while I was outside. Usual chit-chat, nice lady. I forgot how we got onto the topic, but when she found out I don't go to church and am not a Christian, she said, "you can't be nothing here, this is the bible belt... I'm not real religious, but we go to church or else our kids wouldn't be accepted here". Then she went on that I should keep it a secret that I'm not religious, and I forgot how she exactly put it, but basically meant we'd be blacklisted.

First of all, if the Triangle is going to experience all this growth, and diversity, people here are going to have to be a bit more tolerant and polite/respectful for people's private lives. This is the 21st century.

Secondly, I have no respect for someone who needs to be someone they're not, in order to be accepted. I am too nice a person to have told her that to her face.

Just because someone doesn't go to church, or is not a member of a church, does not mean that person is immoral or has nothing to contribute to society, or needs to be changed/is not fine the way they are.

So what exactly happens, is my mailbox going to get bashed in now?? Am I not going to be invited for cucumber sandwiches?? Fill me in...
you can come over to my place. my wife and i are hardcore atheists. i think religion is a crock for a bunch of sheep who don't want to face death, but i just keep that to myself and respect people's choice to believe whatever they want to. i wish others would do the same. i haven't had any experiences like that yet, although i have heard a lot more people mention church, going to church, someone they know from church, etc. than i ever heard in MA...especially surprised about people my age (20s). though i do work with several muslims, hindus, and non-religious northerners. no jews yet, which is definitely different than MA, too. i've also noticed it's only the christians that ever bring up religion

Old 06-09-2009, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
if you don't like getting asked about religion, tell the people asking that you are god. They tend not to talk to you too much after that.
lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary