Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 10:14 PM

1,764 posts, read 2,871,779 times

Advertisements

Thanks for posting this. My Dh LOVES Mexican food (and, annoyingly is one those people who can eat as much of anything he wants without gaining a pound ). However, he's a good guy so I just figured out where we are taking him for Father's Day. Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2010, 09:19 PM

744 posts, read 1,264,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepito's Mommie View Post
at Pancho Villa's door! The place is amazing! We moved from LA to Cary in Dec 07 and have been to many a restaurant looking for something that resembles what we know as Mexican food.

Pancho Villa's Mexican Grill is operated by people who moved here from LA and couldn't find any good restaurants. So they opened their own; let's give them a round of applause! (I'm probably more happy about this than I need to be, but it's just like the place we used to walk to in LA. Actually, do I dare say it...this place is better than our ol'stand-by in LA!)

We had dinner there last night (tortas-al pastor and milanesa, sopes, made to order guacamole and platanos fritos) and lunch there today (torta-al pastor, huevos rancheros and more made to order guacamole).

I could go on and on, but I won't. Please go experience it for yourselves. It's sooo good! And how did I find this gem, you ask? Restaurant.com had a special on coupons. I purchased a $10 coupon good off a bill of at least $20 and since I used a code, the coupon was around $2! You can use these coupons just once a month, but since we ate there twice in less than 24 hours (and brought friends there today), the coupon did it's job of bringing the restaurant some new business. (I'm rambling, but it's just so good and I kinda miss El Segundo right now and the humidity is killing me so maybe my brain is melting...)

Ok, the details:

Pancho Villa's
748 East Chatham Street
Cary 27511
919-468-2022
Mon-Sat 8am-9pm and Sun 10am-7pm

When you order, tell Luis (the guy from LA) that Rachel and Michael sent you. I was seriously ga-ga over the place and told him I was going to tell everyone I knew about it! And hey, when you go, if there's a woman sitting in the corner with guacamole and a silly grin, say hi, it might be me!
I'm glad you found some place in Cary but Durham has an established reputation for Mexican food. It has been written up by Jim Leff of Chowhound.com and featured in Gourmet magazine. If you're ever in Durham try Los Comales, Superior, or La Vaqueta among many fine examples.

Old 06-17-2010, 01:44 AM

82 posts, read 224,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfcub View Post
Damn you people are suspicious on here!!
haha! tell me about it! altho "authentic" cultural food in NC is definitely something to be suspicious over. my husband and i will be eager to try this place when we move to NC in a few months. we're from LA, too, and one of the main reasons my husband disliked NC was the amount of chain restaurants in the state. we love hole-in-the-wall places. thx for the rec!

Old 06-17-2010, 04:20 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,624,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittnmouse View Post
haha! tell me about it! altho "authentic" cultural food in NC is definitely something to be suspicious over. my husband and i will be eager to try this place when we move to NC in a few months. we're from LA, too, and one of the main reasons my husband disliked NC was the amount of chain restaurants in the state. we love hole-in-the-wall places. thx for the rec!
You'll be pleasantly surprised! Chain restaurants are everywhere, but there are a ton of great hole in the wall places. Your best bets to find them are either asking here, checking out the Chowhound Southeast site, or local blogs. Hm...I know I'm not allowed to link, but I'd kind of like to name a good one...can I name and not link? OK giving it a shot: Carpe Durham. Just google it. It's only for Durham though. Cary has great ethnic places and I assume Raleigh does too though I'm never there so can't recommend.

When I was in California a couple of months ago I specifically got some Mexican food so I could see whether ours held up. It absolutely does. I went to a little taqueria that came highly recommended on Yelp and Urbanspoon - it was awesome. You can definitely get the same stuff here if you ignore the chains.

Old 06-17-2010, 12:13 PM

178 posts, read 550,879 times
mjd07-

FYI-Pancho Villa's isn't fancy, it's definitely a hole in the wall. Just wanted you to be aware depending on the level of fanciness needed for Father's Day.

Old 06-26-2010, 05:34 PM

346 posts, read 613,940 times
Thumbs up 100% Authentico

Quote:
mjd07-

FYI-Pancho Villa's isn't fancy, it's definitely a hole in the wall. Just wanted you to be aware depending on the level of fanciness needed for Father's Day.
This thread needs a bump...We just came back from Pancho Villas and I can say with absolute certainty that this is 100% authentico Mexican food. We haven't been up to Durham but around here Pancho Villas is every bit as good as you could want. I had Guacamole and chips...
quite yummy...also had a Super Taco with chicken..that was interesting as it looked more like a toastada than a taco...but it was excellent. Finally I ordered a Deluxe Burrito with chicken...I could only eat half of it between that and the other things.. Finally I had some authentic mexican soda..all in all 2 thumbs up.
It is a hole in the wall for atmosphere and it was a bit warm in there, and the tables are a little small but overall we thoroughly enjoyed it.We'll be back too!

Old 06-26-2010, 05:46 PM

767 posts, read 1,850,483 times
Quote:
at Pancho Villa's door! The place is amazing! We moved from LA to Cary in Dec 07 and have been to many a restaurant looking for something that resembles what we know as Mexican food.

Pancho Villa's Mexican Grill is operated by people who moved here from LA and couldn't find any good restaurants. So they opened their own; let's give them a round of applause! (I'm probably more happy about this than I need to be, but it's just like the place we used to walk to in LA. Actually, do I dare say it...this place is better than our ol'stand-by in LA!)

We had dinner there last night (tortas-al pastor and milanesa, sopes, made to order guacamole and platanos fritos) and lunch there today (torta-al pastor, huevos rancheros and more made to order guacamole).

I could go on and on, but I won't. Please go experience it for yourselves. It's sooo good! And how did I find this gem, you ask? Restaurant.com had a special on coupons. I purchased a $10 coupon good off a bill of at least $20 and since I used a code, the coupon was around $2! You can use these coupons just once a month, but since we ate there twice in less than 24 hours (and brought friends there today), the coupon did it's job of bringing the restaurant some new business. (I'm rambling, but it's just so good and I kinda miss El Segundo right now and the humidity is killing me so maybe my brain is melting...)

Ok, the details:

Pancho Villa's
748 East Chatham Street
Cary 27511
919-468-2022
Mon-Sat 8am-9pm and Sun 10am-7pm

When you order, tell Luis (the guy from LA) that Rachel and Michael sent you. I was seriously ga-ga over the place and told him I was going to tell everyone I knew about it! And hey, when you go, if there's a woman sitting in the corner with guacamole and a silly grin, say hi, it might be me!
I get as gaga as you over good mex...especially after being so deprived!! Can't wait to try out this place!!!

Old 06-26-2010, 05:50 PM

767 posts, read 1,850,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveraleigh View Post
Is this Yelp?
and what is it with Cali folks needing to shot from the mountain top about finding 'real' Mexican food
You should invite this OP and/or just posted here:

I found it - REAL Mexican food!!!!!
I would be that OP : )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary