Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 01:50 PM

21 posts, read 79,882 times

Advertisements

OK. So I almost have my wife on board to move to NC FOR the weather... then she starts reading this thread... and needless to say, she is now slightly nervous about the weather. I personally am not too worried about it since, as most people have said, the watches and warnings usually amount to none touching down. Isn't also true that most of the tornadoes that do touch down are small (F1)? Does anyone out there who has moved view the severe weather as a significant negative? How many times during a year do you actually need to run for cover?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2007, 01:58 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
I'm a Raleigh native, born and raised in the triangle. I have had a close encounter with a tornado once in my entire life. There was also a tornado that caused some damage in North Raleigh back in the 80's. The weather here really isn't that bad. There are some rocky storms that blow through in the spring and early summer, but most are over in 15 minutes. I would worry about lightning way more than tornados or hurricaines or anything else :-).

Old 04-16-2007, 01:59 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
Oh and I think I've "run for cover" twice, ever and both times, nothing materialized, but the weatherman scared me enough to convince me to do it :-).

Old 04-16-2007, 06:54 PM

709 posts, read 934,224 times
Seriously the weather down here since jan 15th has been 5 degrees below normal average rainfall, some nasty thunderstorms and windy days like NC does NOT HAVE! we are in a NW pattern that has been bringing down cold air that normally by this time of the year does not happen. Heck the weekend of the 6th we had 23 degrees and destroyed the entire states peach crop!

It has been a very odd late winter early spring!

Old 04-16-2007, 07:00 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,664,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbywan View Post
Seriously the weather down here since jan 15th has been 5 degrees below normal average rainfall, some nasty thunderstorms and windy days like NC does NOT HAVE! we are in a NW pattern that has been bringing down cold air that normally by this time of the year does not happen. Heck the weekend of the 6th we had 23 degrees and destroyed the entire states peach crop!

It has been a very odd late winter early spring!
Yes, it's been odd...but it's not been mind-bogglingly extreme either. I feel sorry for the farmers though.....this late freeze is going to ruin some of them.

Old 04-16-2007, 08:37 PM

505 posts, read 2,542,096 times
50-60 mph winds today around the area.

62 mph gust in Greensboro

Lots of trees down according to WRAL....glad I did not lose power! But some were not as lucky.

We can expect winds like this maybe twice a year. Sometimes more, sometimes less.

This is nothing compared to the wind storms in Cali, the NW, and even the northeast.

Only during Hurricanes do we have winds stronger....but that is mainly the coast.

I have seen two tornados during my lifetime here in NC. One did destroy most of our farm in wilson...we were in the bathtub (my picture thread in NC pictures shows some of my farm) All the barns were wiped out...horse stables, etc....

Then I saw one in New Bern as well....but that one was in the distance, it did do damage where it hit.

I am not afraid of them though! Just get in the bathtub!

Old 04-16-2007, 08:48 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,951,960 times
What if my bath tub is surrounded by glass block and not in an inner room?

Old 04-16-2007, 08:52 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,664,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena View Post
What if my bath tub is surrounded by glass block and not in an inner room?
Unless a tree limb goes through it...no problem. We have glass block near our tub....as do several other homes near me.

Really...the winds were high, but if the home was of good construction, there shouldn't have been anything but the most minor damage....if that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary